EARN It Act Threatens to End End-to-End Encryption [US]

Shreyas1
5 hours ago, Senzelian said:

This is what the Nazis did 80 years ago. They had "lawful access" to open private lettters, which is sort of the same as a encryptet end-to-end message, with the difference being, that your encryption key was basically nothing but trust. And now that we can't even trust the government and companies to handle our information with care, we're supposed to give up the last wall that was protecting our data. Funny...

I'd say that I'm lucky to live in Europe and that this doesn't affect me, but bullsh*t like this will sooner or later swim over to our continent.

Don't be so sure about that. Because if company is American and a fuck ton of them are, big ones like Google and Apple, I don't think they'll graciously exclude us Europeans because we are Europeans. I mean, just look at PRISM. Do you think we're excluded because of GDPR? I never gave Apple permission to give my data to US government. Yet they are FORCED to hand it over without any warrant or even a justified reason/cause. So, I think not. What makes you think this will?

Only way to be sure is E2EE (End to End Encryption) because it's way of operation is such that you can't hand over anything to bypass encryption unless you somehow physically manage to inject yourself into the connection via some sort of backdoor or exploit within the implementation.

Either way it's fucked up and totally not something you'd expect from a country that constantly screeches "FREEDOM" and "DEMOCRACY" and all that similar BS.

Of course they're trying to push this through the senate while people are freaking out over a pandemic. Probably hoping that we're not paying attention.

I'll be sure to urge Warren and Markey to vote against this shit. A bill like this would be a gross misstep of power and must be defeated.

Hah gov wanting backdoors, but of course haha. What's new.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Personally I wouldn't argue the internet is a right

Well then try and apply for a job without it.... 9_9  (And the list goes on.)

13 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Don't be so sure about that. Because if company is American and a fuck ton of them are, big ones like Google and Apple, I don't think they'll graciously exclude us Europeans because we are Europeans. I mean, just look at PRISM. Do you think we're excluded because of GDPR? I never gave Apple permission to give my data to US government. Yet they are FORCED to hand it over without any warrant or even a justified reason/cause. So, I think not. What makes you think this will?

Only way to be sure is E2EE (End to End Encryption) because it's way of operation is such that you can't hand over anything to bypass encryption unless you somehow physically manage to inject yourself into the connection via some sort of backdoor or exploit within the implementation.

Either way it's fucked up and totally not something you'd expect from a country that constantly screeches "FREEDOM" and "DEMOCRACY" and all that similar BS.

That's what I was trying to say 😛

22 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Unfortunately, we've been stopped from trying to call the internet access a right for many years. So long as the internet is not a right, there is no BoR or Constitutional protection for it. 

Hoping that will change soon tbh.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

How do we tell them to legally pack sand?

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

34 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

How do we tell them to legally pack sand?

By telling them to "f#ck off". It's literally that simple. 

By voting them out and/or giving their office a call to voice your concerns. It's times like these where I wish we would use our tech to start a direct democracy where the constituents have a public record of how they vote and if that contrasts the elected politician. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The original article is super vague. “Lawful access” is a strange term I don’t know enough about for one.  It may have a specific definition like “need a warrant” or it may not.  A lot of NGOs were mentioned as well that makes me a bit uncomfortable.  I don’t know enough about this to form an opinion.  The first reply goes right to nazis by word 5 though.  This generally makes me suspicious of the whole argument.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

They going to try to get this past during the mass hystria? Thinking no one will notice? Election year and all........smh. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They going to try to get this past during the mass hystria? Thinking no one will notice? Election year and all........smh. 

We don’t even know what the bill is.  Just a weird description of it.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 3/16/2020 at 5:29 PM, Shreyas1 said:

-snip-

I can personally attest for reasons I would rather not disclose that this is not necessary for the reasons they state. I know for a fact that FB monitor a their messaging platform for potentially exploitation of minors. And reports it! 

to set aside questions: no I did not commit any  heinous act. But I know someone who did. 

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

We don’t even know what the bill is.  Just a weird description of it.  

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3398/text

The exact bill, just like all others, are posted to the Congress.gov website. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

11 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Well then try and apply for a job without it.... 9_9  (And the list goes on.)

Not a strong foundation of an argument...

And yes you can apply pretty easily, walk into a place and request for an application, depending on your country they must provide you with the means of one (at least in the US).

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

And yes you can apply pretty easily, walk into a place and request for an application, depending on your country they must provide you with the means of one (at least in the US).

No such law in the US. The only way for the two local hospitals' HR to accept applications is online and they have no area with computers for applying. 

Edit: And I could list several other large retailers that don't do anymore paper applications nor have designated areas for applying. Luckily 2 of the 3 local Publix actually have an PC for use. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

The original article is super vague. “Lawful access” is a strange term I don’t know enough about for one.  It may have a specific definition like “need a warrant” or it may not.  A lot of NGOs were mentioned as well that makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Thing is, if the government can access it in any way ( even with a warrant ), then it is no longer end to end encryption. The whole point of this is that the government can now force backdoors in these messaging systems and such

Furthermore, do you really think they're going to stop at " just with a warrant "? Personally, I feel like this is another step towards the government removing the rights of people to pass messages with privacy from the government

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

No such law in the US. The only way for the two local hospitals' HR to accept applications is online and they have no area with computers for applying. 

Edit: And I could list several other large retailers that don't do anymore paper applications nor have designated areas for applying. Luckily 2 of the 3 local Publix actually have an PC for use. 

I would argue that the day the bulk of government information became easily accessible online was the day it became a right.   It's way too easy to hide physical documents in one state or location and then make it difficult for people to access thus giving an information advantage to those with internet access.   Even in this thread there is a link to the offending bill posted giving everyone here access to direct information that others would likely have to know the specific name of and find the relevant office to view.   Now maybe it isn't quite that hard to find a copy of the bill in the US,  but consider this from the position of people in struggle town, what would take me 15 minutes to read online might take them half a day and bus fares to attain.  I can arrange a mass gathering or protest. setup a petition, create a website and post it on several different websites and social media platforms before my ghetto counter part has even left his street.   Is that fair and reasonable distribution of government information?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

25 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I didn't state there was. In the majority of states if you go to the local Dept. of Labor you will find that they require applications must be made available in a manner that the applicant can readily fill out even if that means the company must provide a location on site that the applicant can file via a terminal if necessary or via a paper application. No internet is required. Also, library's provide free access to the internet in 99% of major library's across the US.

I am now a small business owner and that is one of the things I came across in my setting up the business.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I would argue that the day the bulk of government information became easily accessible online was the day it became a right.   It's way too easy to hide physical documents in one state or location and then make it difficult for people to access thus giving an information advantage to those with internet access.   Even in this thread there is a link to the offending bill posted giving everyone here access to direct information that others would likely have to know the specific name of and find the relevant office to view.   Now maybe it isn't quite that hard to find a copy of the bill in the US,  but consider this from the position of people in struggle town, what would take me 15 minutes to read online might take them half a day and bus fares to attain.  I can arrange a mass gathering or protest. setup a petition, create a website and post it on several different websites and social media platforms before my ghetto counter part has even left his street.   Is that fair and reasonable distribution of government information?

You make a point but as I mentioned above, the internet is made freely available in public libraries. Albeit I am not advocating that the internet cannot be a right just that its is not a right currently in the way it is right now. The is a paid service and because of that is a product not a right. Food is also a product and not a right.

Access to the information and the internet is made available in a variety of ways, freely, and one just needs to understand how to get it. Apart from that access to the internet for other things is a perk and that kind of access in my mind is a paid for service.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

44 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Its a very mundane and commonplace task that requires internet so it is pretty solid IMO. And not the only one as the others pointed it out.

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

the internet is made freely available in public libraries

If you think that you can do anything more than casual browsing with those  you are making a grave mistake.

46 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Its a very mundane and commonplace task that requires internet so it is pretty solid IMO. And not the only one as the others pointed it out.

If you think that you can do anything more than casual browsing with those  you are making a grave mistake.

You not reading my argument fully. I did not say that you could...

I do know of many and I have helped many with applying for jobs at libraries.

49 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Access to the information and the internet is made available in a variety of ways, freely, and one just needs to understand how to get it. Apart from that access to the internet for other things is a perk and that kind of access in my mind is a paid for service.

**edit

I just realized we are derailing this topic ... lets move on and take this up another time.

Edited by SansVarnic
See edit

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

59 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Thing is, if the government can access it in any way ( even with a warrant ), then it is no longer end to end encryption. The whole point of this is that the government can now force backdoors in these messaging systems and such

Furthermore, do you really think they're going to stop at " just with a warrant "? Personally, I feel like this is another step towards the government removing the rights of people to pass messages with privacy from the government

Will they stop at just a warrant?  Posed as a question implying you want me to think so but don’t actually think so yourself.  

Will they? “They” have ever since the beginning of the United States.  Forcing hack doors is an assumption.  They wouldn’t need to do such a thing though when all they have to do is show a warrant and have the thing decrypted for them.  It’s simpler.  Preventing warrantless wiretap, which is what such a thing would be, is sort of a classic.  Does it amount to warrantless wiretap?  I don’t know.  There is lots of assumption and implication that it might.  If it is, such a thing would be shot down immediately most likely.

Should warrantless wiretap be prevented?  Sure.  I’m not at all sure that is what is going on though.

14 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I do know of many and I have helped many with applying for jobs at libraries.

The most foolproof way the get you account stolen.....

23 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

all they have to do is show a warrant and have the thing decrypted for them. 

The only way that can happen is if there is a backdoor.   That's why people are saying this is forcing companies to install a back door.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The only way that can happen is if there is a backdoor.   That's why people are saying this is forcing companies to install a back door.

Definition of end-to-end then.  I was assuming it would be done at one end rather than the middle.  You are correct though decryption in the middle would require one.  Still warrantless wiretap issues.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Definition of end-to-end then.  I was assuming it would be done at one end rather than the middle.  You are correct though decryption in the middle would require one.  Still warrantless wiretap issues.

Any encryption that can be decrypted by someone other than the key holder by definition has a backdoor in it.   Other than brute force over 100/1000's of years there is no other way to decrypt.

EDIT: this is why so many internet articles and forum plebs misinterpreted Turnbull's claim of the laws of Australia trumping the laws of math.   Because you can't bypass e2e encryption without a backdoor.