Recommend me a DUAL WAN router

AhmedIlyas

I am not looking for uber expensive but can someone recommend me a Dual WAN router, used primarily for backup internet? 

If primary fails... it should fall back to the 2nd internet plugged in and when primary is back up... should go back to it.

Also: DYNDNS support.

Linksys really suck. I cannot believe I would say this. I remember how awesome they were 15+ years ago. Their support stinks too. 5 days to escalate something to Tier 1 and still nothing. 

1 hour ago, AhmedIlyas said:

I am not looking for uber expensive but can someone recommend me a Dual WAN router, used primarily for backup internet? 

If primary fails... it should fall back to the 2nd internet plugged in and when primary is back up... should go back to it.

Linksys really suck. I cannot believe I would say this. I remember how awesome they were 15+ years ago. Their support stinks too. 5 days to escalate something to Tier 1 and still nothing. 

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-RT2600AC-Wi-Fi-Gigabit-Router/dp/B01N5MPTG1/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-cnQyNjAwYWM%3D-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=Rt2600AC&keywords=Rt2600AC&pd_rd_i=B01N5MPTG1&pd_rd_r=452c7aa8-5a68-45f9-a0e7-0ef0c93c3651&pd_rd_w=4LGRA&pd_rd_wg=mL4Sm&pf_rd_p=ec111f65-4a46-499c-be78-f47997212bd0&pf_rd_r=ZEXNY48MRB4A4JMEH1TV&psc=1&qid=1583611441

I have this router myself. Been rock solid. Does Dual WAN, Does DDNS. It also supports 4G LTE via USB if you need that option. Its slices, it dices and does all the things. But performance is good, the firmware is farily easy to navigate and synology seems like they have a good thing going. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Anything with configurable routes really.  A lot of the MikroTik hex gr3 are pretty cheap and can do what you want with wan monitoring 

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Thanks! I am not advanced technically on routers/routes etc... but I am intermediate.

Surprised Synology does routers!

@Donut417 - will it support having my existing router plugged into the Synology router? So my existing router continues to issue local LAN IP's via DHCP etc... ?

1 minute ago, AhmedIlyas said:

@Donut417 - will it support having my existing router plugged into the Synology router? So my existing router continues to issue local LAN IP's via DHCP etc... ?

You never want to connect a router to a router. That causes double NAT and its a pain to deal with. 

I agree but... possible to do? Basically want my current configuration as it is.

7 minutes ago, AhmedIlyas said:

I agree but... possible to do? Basically want my current configuration as it is.

It will work other than port forwarding. Some software or devices might not work due to dual NAT. No way of knowing until you do it. 

If possible disable NAT and firewall on 2nd router then set a static route on the synology, and update the firewall rules so it wont block the address range behind the 2nd router.

16 hours ago, AhmedIlyas said:

What kind of dual WAN are we talking about? Do you have two cables coming to your building from two different ISPs? Or do you simply want LTE failover using sth like USB stick?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

17 hours ago, Donut417 said:

It will work other than port forwarding. Some software or devices might not work due to dual NAT. No way of knowing until you do it. 

Really? I have port forwarding working right now with the same config... 

9 hours ago, jj9987 said:

What kind of dual WAN are we talking about? Do you have two cables coming to your building from two different ISPs? Or do you simply want LTE failover using sth like USB stick?

just a CAT cable plugged in will work just fine. One from my primary ISP and the 2nd from an LTE failover, which is plugged into a netgear mobile router so you can plug that into your network device using CAT cable.

23 minutes ago, AhmedIlyas said:

no mention of the failover WAN?

????

image.thumb.png.746b51da2b9c0df2df8a542975f65e43.png

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

1 hour ago, AhmedIlyas said:

@Donut417 - not doubting you but even on their site, no mention of the failover WAN?

Thats directly from the firmware. See the part that says "Fail Over". 

Screenshot from 2020-03-08 16-56-08.png

Most mid to high level ASUS routers that i've looked at allow for configurable DUAL-WAN. While i've never used it, my ASUS GT-AC5300 supports this feature. If you're not looking to go too crazy though, you might be able to find a Refurbished ASUS RT-AC5300 for a good price. This would set you up with a decent Tri-Band router with DUAL-WAN support and some pretty good custom ROM options if you chose to. Looks like you might be able to find one for roughly $190ish USD. I personally don't find that cost to be excessive as last i looked the ASUSWRT-Merlin community was still looking pretty good for this model.

So I'm going to go ahead and purchase the synology one.

Linksys finally got back to me and said essentially that it's a bug in their firmware and they are going to refund me the cost.

Instead of fixing... refund!

Just an update: Got the Synology router. Configured it, took a while but looks like it's working the way I want it to!

Did the quick test of failover and that worked along with updating DDNS.

let's see what happens over time... about a month.