Blind Test!: Mechanical Keyboard Switches!

James

Linus mentioned that the reason why most people chose Mx Browns for their favorite tactile switch may be due to the lack of competition but frankly that is very untrue. The last year saw perhaps the greatest amount of innovation in MX stem tactile switches. Before, the enthusiast "switch of choice" might have been and "ergo clear" (MX clear stem & housing with lighter spring), vendors such as ZealPC innovated on by partnering with Gateron to make "Stock Ergo Clears" which are the Zealio V1 switches, a smoother ergo clear. People however, were craving for more tactility, and this came to be in the Zanda switch, a Frankenstein switch made from a Zealio V1 stem and a Invyr Panda (A switch that was supposed to be a "super linear switch" what had factory lube and a POM top [Actually turned out to be PC], which sucked so much that it was better as a tactile switch than an linear), which with it's thicker angled leaf made more tactility. This changed again when TopClack made the "Holy Panda" (Invyr Panda Housing + Halo Stem) a switch with very round tactility and a distinct sound. Lots of people within the community liked the rounded-ness of the tactile bump and demand for HPs skyrocketed. ZealPC saw this and decided to make an even more tactile rounded switch the Zealio V2s, which are super tactile and rounded. There are also other tactile switches such as the very sharp and even more tactile BOX Royal. 

These tactile switches differ a lot from the traditional brown switch with switches such as the Holy Panda and Zealio V2 being more rounded and more akin to something like topre, then mx browns. It's not really there's weaker and less competition (there in fact is more) but rather very different opinions on tactility.  

My favourite switches are either Complex White Alps, or whatever the keyboard I paid 2 USD for has.

15 hours ago, b emoji said:

Linus mentioned that the reason why most people chose Mx Browns for their favorite tactile switch may be due to the lack of competition but frankly that is very untrue. The last year saw perhaps the greatest amount of innovation in MX stem tactile switches. Before, the enthusiast "switch of choice" might have been and "ergo clear" (MX clear stem & housing with lighter spring), vendors such as ZealPC innovated on by partnering with Gateron to make "Stock Ergo Clears" which are the Zealio V1 switches, a smoother ergo clear. People however, were craving for more tactility, and this came to be in the Zanda switch, a Frankenstein switch made from a Zealio V1 stem and a Invyr Panda (A switch that was supposed to be a "super linear switch" what had factory lube and a POM top [Actually turned out to be PC], which sucked so much that it was better as a tactile switch than an linear), which with it's thicker angled leaf made more tactility. This changed again when TopClack made the "Holy Panda" (Invyr Panda Housing + Halo Stem) a switch with very round tactility and a distinct sound. Lots of people within the community liked the rounded-ness of the tactile bump and demand for HPs skyrocketed. ZealPC saw this and decided to make an even more tactile rounded switch the Zealio V2s, which are super tactile and rounded. There are also other tactile switches such as the very sharp and even more tactile BOX Royal. 

These tactile switches differ a lot from the traditional brown switch with switches such as the Holy Panda and Zealio V2 being more rounded and more akin to something like topre, then mx browns. It's not really there's weaker and less competition (there in fact is more) but rather very different opinions on tactility.  

I have a feeling it comes down to weighting. I think most of these tactile switches were too heavy for people who are used to MX Brown.

Are there completely inaudible switches? I hate the noise typing makes, so I put a piece of cloth over my keyboard to muffle the sound a little, but it's not helping much.

Also, why no ergonomic keyboards? Why is everyone willingly harming themselves, I don't get it. This will come and bite everyone in the ass 40-50 years from now. And it's not even addicting, like smoking.

44 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

Are there completely inaudible switches? I hate the noise typing makes, so I put a piece of cloth over my leopard to muffle the sound a little, but it's not helping much.

Also, why no ergonomic leopards? Why is everyone willingly harming themselves, I don't get it. This will come and bite everyone in the ass 40-50 years from now. And it's not even addicting, like smoking.

Rubber Domes are silent if you bottom out silently.

Ergonomic leopards suck for typing.

1 hour ago, xnamkcor said:

Rubber Domes are silent if you bottom out silently.

How would you do that? My keyboard has rubber domes, but it is loud as fuck.

• 2 months later...

Btw here is the chart for anyone looking for it. 

E8BCDF91-27CD-4B49-BD04-5E666756B59B.png

• 1 month later...

Question, few years back I bought an Orion Spark (?). I hate it, I don't know why, I just hate the feel. I am not an expert on keyboards in the slightest. However, would the keyboard those switches were on also feel different on a different board? Just doing a search for some of these, and I can't find a keyboard with these switches in them anyway. Guess my question is, how would I test some of these. Also, given I hate the Orion Spark, should I avoid certain switches?

• 1 year later...