AMD GPUs: Why I regret buying a 5700 XT

On 2/29/2020 at 11:26 AM, Asparii said:

Thankfully now sorted the issue, think the "Enhanced Sync" might've still been turned on and its not optimised for a few titles. 

Looks like AMD released a new driver on Saturday the 28th, Appears to solve some in-game crashes or texture bugs as well as some overlay black screens/loss of displays.

I am going to give it a whirl tonight and see how it goes.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

4 hours ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

Looks like AMD released a new driver on Saturday the 28th, Appears to solve some in-game crashes or texture bugs as well as some overlay black screens/loss of displays.

I got a pulse 5700xt yesterday and installed and used the new drivers and it was fine. I did turn the enhanced sync off. 
Compared to my old xfx 5700 non xt that had a ton of issues the new card has been solid with the new drivers. 
I played for 5 hours last night and 3 hours today and didn’t have a single issue with the new drivers. Hopefully you have the same luck 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

10 hours ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

I got my first crash in almost 3 months on it... All I did was turn on Freesync. (though I think it was just a game problem, not a driver issue, as the game is now stuck between 1/3 and 1/2 the framerate it was pre-crash, despite DDU, and everything else is where it was pre-crash)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

6 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I got a pulse 5700xt yesterday and installed and used the new drivers and it was fine. I did turn the enhanced sync off. 
Compared to my old xfx 5700 non xt that had a ton of issues the new card has been solid with the new drivers. 
I played for 5 hours last night and 3 hours today and didn’t have a single issue with the new drivers. Hopefully you have the same luck 

about how many titles would you say you've played over that period of time? ?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

On 2/25/2020 at 11:38 PM, dizmo said:

But but. This forum always cries about how that only happens to a very low percentage of people!!

Right. The fact it happens at all is frankly pathetic.

Just sell your 5700XT in a few months and buy one of Nvidias 3000 series cards when they come out.

How long have we been waiting for 3000s?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

12 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

How long have we been waiting for 3000s?

Same as every other release cycle. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

about how many titles would you say you've played over that period of time? ?

Including today I’ve played 

Siege, escape from tarkov, apex legends, fallout 4, fallout 76, fallout new Vegas, gta 5, battlefield 4 and fishing planet. I’m about 13hours of actual time playing games and haven’t had an issue yet. I’ve been trying a bunch of games to see if this will crash and so far it’s been better then my xfx 5700 was. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 2/25/2020 at 9:38 PM, dizmo said:

But but. This forum always cries about how that only happens to a very low percentage of people!!

Right. The fact it happens at all is frankly pathetic.

Just sell your 5700XT in a few months and buy one of Nvidias 3000 series cards when they come out.

Hardware Unboxed, GN, and a variety of other content creators have heard and asked about those experiencing major issues with 5700 series cards. It is not just a select few. I think I speak for everyone when I say it really sucks spending your hard earned money on an expensive component just to have driver issues for the next X months until AMD gets their S#!T together to fix it. You are very right, it is pathetic, however selling them only to come out at a loss so that we can then spend more of our hard earned money on a brand new card all over again is not a solution, nor is it reasonable to suggest. (Not to sound like a Karen/Boomer).

Top that off with Strix coolers sagging and bringing temps up due to improper fastening and anything else that may arise, and you'll find yourself to be part of a consumer base that has every right to be unhappy with a 7nm navi card that was extremely over-sold and under-delivered.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

1 hour ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

Hardware Unboxed, GN, and a variety of other content creators have heard and asked about those experiencing major issues with 5700 series cards. It is not just a select few. I think I speak for everyone when I say it really sucks spending your hard earned money on an expensive component just to have driver issues for the next X months until AMD gets their S#!T together to fix it. You are very right, it is pathetic, however selling them only to come out at a loss so that we can then spend more of our hard earned money on a brand new card all over again is not a solution, nor is it reasonable to suggest. (Not to sound like a Karen/Boomer).

Top that off with Strix coolers sagging and bringing temps up due to improper fastening and anything else that may arise, and you'll find yourself to be part of a consumer base that has every right to be unhappy with a 7nm navi card that was extremely over-sold and under-delivered.

Apparently sarcasm escapes you ?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Apparently sarcasm escapes you ?

LOL it must. Sorry, little triggered over the frustrations this card has caused me over the last 7 months haha.

On a high note, I noticed no loss of performance, but a good drop in temps after doing a -100mV undervolt on the rig. 

21 hours ago, dizmo said:

Same as every other release cycle. 

I haven't felt a release since the 1000s

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

i remember the Nvidia days and the older ATI days of chasing stable drivers, bought a 5700 Non XT for my son, and feel like i am back in the late 90´s early 2000´s again..

where some drivers just reacts bad to some games.. i feel like my Nvidia 1080TI is at the point where i can just keep the same drivers for a long time, yes i might get a bit more FPS from updating, but i never have issues with quality.

Has had plenty on his system, which yeah it is a botch job, but worked perfectly with a borrowed 1060 3gig card for a long time..

i simply sold my 5700 non XT Asus non ref card, and bought an old 1080 non TI for  him used, and he is up and running again.

He is running a Z97-pro board with a 4790k, 16 gig of ram (G-Skill tridentz) Noctua DH-14 in a R4 case, so it is not an unstable build, it is a stable older platform.

he is only 5 so most of the time is used in Roblox and Minecraft (with shaders) Minecraft is a MESS on a 5700, again yes it is with shaders, but again works perfectly on a 1060 and now a 1080.

it is a shame, because RAW performance of this card is through the roof, and to be honest i bought it knowing there might be smaller issues, but want to support ATI as a "competitor" to nvidia.

and hoped that my 1080TI (my card) was to be exchanged with the BIG navi coming, but nah, especially since i am running so much racing sim, on a full size RIG, i am not getting in with a card, that has issues running modded elements, since the driver development team is not as strong as Nvidia..

I am just a demographic of 1 but I used RX 580s(in crossifre), RX vega 64 and now a RX 5700xt used both in linux and in windows environments... 

I had issues from time to time yes but mostly for complicated stuff (like there where some issues assorting multiple monitors in a dual user system) sometimes the driver just sucked in terms of like not being able to access the control panel or wattman settings getting reset. 

but those where just instances of limited lifespan other than that my general experience was not nearly as bad as described here 

The Vega 64 I had performed pretty well, but I had the Strix one with the really high VRM temps, which I heard was fixed in later revisions of the card. I ruled my Gigabyte OC 5700XT as faulty, since it was crashing on both Windows and Linux, and I had tried different drivers under windows, only to have the same issues.

I'm looking at buying an XFX or a Sapphire instead once I get refunded for the other one. I mainly want one since I use Linux, and things work much better under Linux being able to use mesa drivers for AMD GPUs instead of closed source Nvidia ones.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

• 1 month later...

OP, I did like you and bought the 5700XT on launch last year. 

It was right after I saw Hardware Unboxed show this graph.  I thought might as well get the SKU AMD showed that was clocked higher than the regular, and I bought the 50th Anniversary model directly from AMD.   

Paired it with a Ryzen 7 3700X and a MSI X470 Gaming Pro motherboard. 

One of my first crashipolooza games was The Divison 2, the game meant to be optimized for AMD hardware, would freak out when I try to max it's settings at 1080p 144Hz Freesync enabled.  I even found that the Precision Boost Overdrive being Enabled or defaulted in the BIOS was adding to the crash. Disabling it gave me 30 minutes of game play versus 5-10 minutes on the initial July and August Radeon 2019 drivers.   

Then AMD launched Radeon 2020 and that added more problems, my black screen freezing turned to just general screen freezes when I wasn't even playing games, just watching downloaded video files (something most people today don't do since everyone likes to stream) video would freeze while audio kept playing in playback forcing hard reset.  This issue kept me on Radeon 19.12.1 (2019) for a while.

The icing on the cake for me is when I was playing Witcher 3 GOTY where it would randomly crash which was fault of the game but most other times it was the Radeon card being finicky and just going black. It didn't matter what driver I used.  

I eventually swapped in a RTX 2080 Amp to play and boy that card ran the game well, no black crashes, no freezes, it was even able to do a stable 144Hz for my Display in Witcher where as the 5700XT card often struggled to get near that in moving scenes. 

I recently swapped back in my 5700XT card following the 20.2.2 Radeon driver, and yeah those issues I had before appear to be gone. The card seems somewhat neutered now and not able to get me high benchmark results that I used to hit with the old Radeon drivers, but I guess that is the tradeoff, and that's been my NAVI experience.  

On 3/4/2020 at 6:43 AM, Steo said:

The Vega 64 I had performed pretty well, but I had the Strix one with the really high VRM temps, which I heard was fixed in later revisions of the card. I ruled my Gigabyte OC 5700XT as faulty, since it was crashing on both Windows and Linux, and I had tried different drivers under windows, only to have the same issues.

I'm looking at buying an XFX or a Sapphire instead once I get refunded for the other one. I mainly want one since I use Linux, and things work much better under Linux being able to use mesa drivers for AMD GPUs instead of closed source Nvidia ones.

been satisfied with my XFX RAW II. no problems, except it's a hot card. Aggressive fan curve and undervolt brings it into being pretty usable.

also using 3 displays

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I got my pulse 5700xt march 1st and haven't had a single issue with it

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 2/26/2020 at 5:36 AM, DrMacintosh said:

#1 I did not notice the sig

#2 .....The sig could be a lie?......like the cake I was promised.......

nice portal reference

On 3/4/2020 at 8:13 AM, RasmusDC said:

i remember the Nvidia days and the older ATI days of chasing stable drivers, bought a 5700 Non XT for my son, and feel like i am back in the late 90´s early 2000´s again..

I have too many bad memories of the ATI days and my 9800 XT

This is  why I have been relectent to go AMD gfx cards at present.

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Well i must have a unicorn as i have had no real issues.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

24 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

I have too many bad memories of the ATI days and my 9800 XT

This is  why I have been relectent to go AMD gfx cards at present.

Your logic makes no sense, you should have said "reluctant at all" since you base your experience off of over a dercade old hardware and drivers.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

12 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Your logic makes no sense, you should have said "reluctant at all" since you base your experience off of over a dercade old hardware and drivers.

The logic is correct.... I have had bad a experience which has made me reluctant to go AMD due to the "driver issues" still being present after a decade....if this changes I will look again, as I always make an informed choice when purchasing. 

16 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Well i must have a unicorn as i have had no real issues.

but your logic makes no sense - just because you don't have any "real" issues, doesn't mean anyone else doesn't 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Just now, shaz2sxy said:

The logic is correct.... I have had bad a experience which has made me reluctant to go AMD due to the "driver issues" still being present after a decade....if this changes I will look again, as I always make an informed choice when purchasing. 

but your logic makes no sense - just because you don't have any "real" issues, doesn't mean anyone else doesn't 

I never said nobody else don't have the issues, i just said i must have a unicorn.

"The logic is correct.... I have had bad a experience which has made me reluctant to go AMD due to the "driver issues" still being present after a decade....if this changes I will look again, as I always make an informed choice when purchasing. "

So the truth is you are reluctant at all then, has the same meaning, just your version is politically correct, neither answer is actually wrong i think we misunderstood actually, your original post was tricky to understand since you used such an outdated card for your reasoning so that is over a decade ago, see how the logic sways peoples minds? a decade is a hell of a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 6:26 AM, Mister Woof said:

been satisfied with my XFX RAW II. no problems, except it's a hot card. Aggressive fan curve and undervolt brings it into being pretty usable.

also using 3 displays

I ended up taking a deal for a Sapphire Nitro+ SE card since I got a good deal on it. I was going to take the Thicc III otherwise, but this one seems fine.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240