How did Wendel from level1techs get known as the go-to guy for server stuff?

dstarfire
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

Wendell - before Level1Tech - was a co-host on a YouTube channel called TekSyndicate. 

Without going into all the details, Wendel and co-host Logan split due to a whole lot of stuff (if I remember correctly including a different sort of direction).

Of course I don't know what went on, on the inside.. But Wendel actually got the YouTube channel (and forum I think?)

That is why if you go to the Level1Tech YouTube channel and click the 'videos' link, you actually get brought to this URL:

image.png.122264eef736af243d783ac0d2ef0ce7.png

So a lot of Wendel's history on YouTube he has gotten through this YouTube channel. So if you want to see his YouTube history, you actually don't go through the Level1 channel, but rather through this one:

https://www.youtube.com/user/razethew0rld/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

(I think.. If I remember that correctly).

TekSyndicate focused a lot on the same sort of stuff others tech YouTubers focused on in 2010-2014. Reviews of everything computers.

But they also did Linux stuff. Their community was very knowledgable about this stuff too. But even back then, Logan and Wendell had a similar dynamic as Linus and Anthony have now.

Linus/Logan did the brunt of the presentation, but when you needed all the factual info: you went to Anthony/Wendell.

Anyways, having said that - so kind of create some more YouTube validity for Wendell - he isn't a solely YouTube guy.

During the TekSyndicate days, Wendell had a traditional job as well. He is (was?) a consultant. 

From what I can find, Wendell has always been kind of secretive on what his job is (well now it probably is YouTube, but I mean back in the day), so it's hard to say for sure what is was..

To wrap it up. He was/is a consultant, knows a lot of stuff, seems eager to learn, to re-iterate; he knows a lot, he has been in the tech community for a LONG time and he just overall seems like a nice guy.

I think that is why he is the go-to guy for so many tech YouTubers.

P.S. shoutout to the times when Wendell was the guy behind the monitors ;) 

image.png.50d9ccea749245486f7de01da56fa35b.png

like the title says, how did Wendell from Level1techs get to be known as such a wiz with servers? I've looked at his channel and it's almost entirely just news and occasional reviews, the same as LTT, Gamers Nexus, and the like - no mention of server stuff anywhere. He does have a couple of other channels that focus on Linux and servers. The server one is all from 4-years ago, and the Linux one looks like just a linux-centric news channel. Nowhere on HIS channels is there anything that would make me think he'd be my first choice for help setting up or troubleshooting a server.

However, every time he's appeared on LTT or Gamer's Nexus it's obvious he DOES know his stuff and at a fairly deep level (like Anthony does for workstations). He almost

Don't get me wrong. He's a cool guy (I really enjoy his teams' news videos), I just don't see anything to justify his apparent reputation (if you hadn't worked with him before).

Wendell - before Level1Tech - was a co-host on a YouTube channel called TekSyndicate. 

Without going into all the details, Wendel and co-host Logan split due to a whole lot of stuff (if I remember correctly including a different sort of direction).

Of course I don't know what went on, on the inside.. But Wendel actually got the YouTube channel (and forum I think?)

That is why if you go to the Level1Tech YouTube channel and click the 'videos' link, you actually get brought to this URL:

image.png.122264eef736af243d783ac0d2ef0ce7.png

So a lot of Wendel's history on YouTube he has gotten through this YouTube channel. So if you want to see his YouTube history, you actually don't go through the Level1 channel, but rather through this one:

https://www.youtube.com/user/razethew0rld/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

(I think.. If I remember that correctly).

TekSyndicate focused a lot on the same sort of stuff others tech YouTubers focused on in 2010-2014. Reviews of everything computers.

But they also did Linux stuff. Their community was very knowledgable about this stuff too. But even back then, Logan and Wendell had a similar dynamic as Linus and Anthony have now.

Linus/Logan did the brunt of the presentation, but when you needed all the factual info: you went to Anthony/Wendell.

Anyways, having said that - so kind of create some more YouTube validity for Wendell - he isn't a solely YouTube guy.

During the TekSyndicate days, Wendell had a traditional job as well. He is (was?) a consultant. 

From what I can find, Wendell has always been kind of secretive on what his job is (well now it probably is YouTube, but I mean back in the day), so it's hard to say for sure what is was..

To wrap it up. He was/is a consultant, knows a lot of stuff, seems eager to learn, to re-iterate; he knows a lot, he has been in the tech community for a LONG time and he just overall seems like a nice guy.

I think that is why he is the go-to guy for so many tech YouTubers.

P.S. shoutout to the times when Wendell was the guy behind the monitors ;) 

image.png.50d9ccea749245486f7de01da56fa35b.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/