How do people with diabetes PRICK their finger PURPOSELY ? HELL NO

WolfLoverPro
3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Who gives fentanyl for an ABG? That’s way too strong for a simple procedure. Lidocaine will do just fine. 

Well, it was because I had almost coded. I wasn't really able to respond (I could hear what was going on but all I could see was white). My respirations were at 68, HR of 145, and my O2 was at 89 and couldn't control my breathing. They also gave 25mg of IV Benadryl at the same time. It was a simple procedure, during a less than simple event. PaCO2 was through the roof. I don't remember anything till the Benadryl kicked in.

10 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Well, it was because I had almost coded. I wasn't really able to respond (I could hear what was going on but all I could see was white). My respirations were at 68, HR of 145, and my O2 was at 89 and couldn't control my breathing. They also gave 25mg of IV Benadryl at the same time. It was a simple procedure, during a less than simple event. PaCO2 was through the roof. I don't remember anything till the Benadryl kicked in.

Man, I’m surprised you could still remember. I’m glad you survived though with that respiratory rate of 68 which is over the top tachypnea. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Man, I’m surprised you could still remember. I’m glad you survived though with that respiratory rate of 68 which is over the top tachypnea. 

Ya, we still don't really know what caused it. I wasn't on any new meds and was only in for a standard 14 day Cystic Fibrosis visit. It hasn't happened since thank god. They did force me to go into the ICU for a 72Hr monitoring though lol.

It is a weird feeling hearing but not being able to respond. I felt numbingly calm when everything went white and couldn't see.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:33 PM, WolfLoverPro said:

I SWEAR if I had to I’d rather just die i cannot do that with needle or whatever pin prick NO NO NOOOO

My uncle died due to diabetes. First he got part of his foot amputated. Then the rest of the foot. Then part of his leg. That’s the thing if you choose to ignore this condition, you will die but slowly and it will slowly take parts of you as you go. He ended up having a heart attack and that’s what took him. Trust me considering that pricking your fingers is small compared to what diabetes can do to you. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

My uncle died due to diabetes. First he got part of his foot amputated. Then the rest of the foot. Then part of his leg. That’s the thing if you choose to ignore this condition, you will die but slowly and it will slowly take parts of you as you go. He ended up having a heart attack and that’s what took him. Trust me considering that pricking your fingers is small compared to what diabetes can do to you. 

You got that right! I have known many people who died before their time, went blind, lost body parts, etc. due to diabetes. My ex is dead now because she didn't follow her family's and her doctors' advice on how to take care of her diabetes (her doctors got so fed up her not following their advice, such as refusing to allow them to put in a permanent port for her dialysis, they refused to treat her anymore and she had to move to near where our son lives for treatment before she finally died.

I'm prediabetic and doing everything my handicaps will let me to avoid becoming fully diabetic. I don't want to have to check my blood sugar once or more times a day but, if it ever comes to that, I will cheerfully do so to hopefully avoid the fate that befell so many diabetics I've known.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Even well managed, diabetes can wreck your body over time.  I'm doing everything in my power to avoid complications in the long term.  Finger poking is something I genuinely cannot stand, though, so I generally use the tops of my arm for drawing blood to check my glucose levels.  I've been advised that blood circulation is lower in these areas, so readings could be a bit off and it is definitely harder to get enough blood, but the results seem to be accurate enough.  Besides that, I use a continuous glucose monitoring solution and an insulin pump so I don't have to poke myself very often.  That comes with the problem of having two (potentially irritating and painful) devices slapped onto your body for multiple days straight, though.

So yeah, to answer the question, I don't poke my fingers and instead prick myself in other places when necessary and otherwise constantly wear devices to help me manage my condition.  If I had to, though, I would because it beats the alternative of slowly dying a terrible death.

Doesn't feel like anything, tried my mom's once or twice. 

One of my meds required weekly blood tests at first, OP would scream. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 2/18/2020 at 1:47 AM, greenmax said:

I thought they had a new system out where no pricking was needed.

Continuous glucose monitoring (what you're describing) unfortunately isn't perfect. I use Freestyle Libres, and I still have to check my blood sugar often, but not as much, just in case. They can be accurate but as blood sugar goes high or low you need to manually check and correct if necessary.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Forgot to mention that I had taken some acne medicine to help with really poor and crippling back acne and that required blood tests every so often. I hated it, but honestly, it only hurts a little for a few minutes and then you go on with the rest of your day.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It's kinda funny. I 1 time got one of these pricks and couldn't stand it, but i also in my slightly later years (im 20 now) went to an allergist 2ice a week to get a total of 4 shots....for 6 months straight. Some of 'em were quiet large but you just don't think about it eventually.

They did ask me if i want to inject myself, and i was like Hell no! Even looking is difficult, but again you get used to it.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

pshh I give myself injections  in my leg muscle once a week, its not that hard.

as for blood testing its often a life or death situation if you have diabeties basically you get used to it.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

4 hours ago, alicskysareblue said:

pshh I give myself injections  in my leg muscle once a week, its not that hard.

as for blood testing its often a life or death situation if you have diabeties basically you get used to it.

While I understand your point, once a week in your leg is not equal to 3 times a day for 25 years . As for the monitoring, pricking your finger 3-4 times a day sucks, it just does. It makes your finger tips hurt after a while and is a constant annoyance but its better than the alternative outcomes, which people listed above

it's a bit off-topic, but when I go to get my blood taken for routine physical...

Im bold, dont care, think nothing of it, look down as the nurse jabs the needle, in see the blood come out no bigge....  (ya know, all balls)

then a few seconds into it, I get super woozy, start sweating profusely and have to go lay down for a like 5-10 min.  yet everyone else having this done just walks out like nothing happened.

I'll never understand it, it's like my body can tell I just lost a few ounces of blood, and goes into defcon4 its weird af.  ?

but ya pricking the finger... small potatoes compared to not knowing your blood sugar status if you're body is sensitive to it.

11 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

While I understand your point, once a week in your leg is not equal to 3 times a day for 25 years . As for the monitoring, pricking your finger 3-4 times a day sucks, it just does. It makes your finger tips hurt after a while and is a constant annoyance but its better than the alternative outcomes, which people listed above

far enough your right, it probably does and I had my mom test my blood suger a couple of times, she ALWAYS worried about me getting diabetes, although as an adult I very rarely eat any suger now so that worry is no longer an issue, and yeah I hated it. and diabeties effects your nerves so that makes it even worse.

I was just being kind of a jerk I apologize

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

49 minutes ago, alicskysareblue said:

suger

Now you make me want to stop eating sugar.

11 hours ago, alicskysareblue said:

far enough your right, it probably does and I had my mom test my blood suger a couple of times, she ALWAYS worried about me getting diabetes, although as an adult I very rarely eat any suger now so that worry is no longer an issue, and yeah I hated it. and diabeties effects your nerves so that makes it even worse.

I was just being kind of a jerk I apologize

No need to apologize, I didnt think you were a jerk, I just felt it was necessary to point out the differences. No hard feelings over here!

A cat scratch or a heavy dog standing on you is more painful that getting your blood sugar checked. ??