I drive a semi-truck but I also like to game and thats a problem..

Mr. Shenanigans

The biggest problem I have is vibration.  The closest example i can give is to imagine hard mounting a case to a little red wagon and pulling it down a brick road 24 hours a day for about 300 days a year.  The suspension in a 18 wheeler is NOT designed for driver comfort.  I have tried to run a computer before and after a short time just from the vibrations from the engine alone (equivalent to mounting a computer to the top of a gas powered generator) destroyed every thing including but not limited to pci slots tearing off the motherboard, screws rattling out and ram ejecting itself from the board in a desperate attempt to run away.  I am sure every one on here has seen the unboxing videos of computers being shipped and having parts fall off or the case having damage and now i want a computer to live in that environment full time.

Dust and humidity are also factors but can mostly be mitigated.  Power and ambient temperatures are not a factor, fortunately

My current home computer specs are

I9-9900k

2080ti

32 gig ram @ 3200mhz

1tb nvme m.2

4tb ssd

closed loop water cooling for cpu only

I would like a equivalent system for the truck.   What suggestions if any might be applicable to me.

BEFORE it gets mentioned,  I have stayed away from laptops due to not being able to compete with my desktops performance that I have come to expect any computer I own.

Help me LTTF you are my only hope.........

9 minutes ago, Mr. Shenanigans said:

BEFORE it gets mentioned,  I have stayed away from laptops due to not being able to compete with my desktops performance that I have come to expect any computer I own.

But laptops have the benefit that all the components are packed together much tighter and therefore less affected by vibrations. Like @Electronics Wizardy suggested, a laptop would probably fare better. Some sort of a mini-ITX setup could also be an option.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Shenanigans said:

Oh, I also came to think of another thing: you don't mention where you're from, but do you have datacaps on your mobile and how are mobile-connections there? You could always go with a laptop, but then use game-streaming from your home-desktop or e.g. NVIDIA's Geforce Now when the mobile-connection is good enough; you'd just have to suck it up with the laptop's performance when the connection ain't good enough, but when it is, you'd get to enjoy much better performance.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Leviathan Co-Op said:

especially since she ran it over with a forklift

Wait, what! This sounds like a good story, we need more details!

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Oh, I also came to think of another thing: you don't mention where you're from, but do you have datacaps on your mobile and how are mobile-connections there? You could always go with a laptop, but then use game-streaming from your home-desktop or e.g. NVIDIA's Geforce Now when the mobile-connection is good enough; you'd just have to suck it up with the laptop's performance when the connection ain't good enough, but when it is, you'd get to enjoy much better performance.

I am in the USA and i get limited to 5g speeds tho i do use 2 different WiFi hot-spots for internet due to throttling.

The last time i looked into good gaming laptops they were not putting 1080s in them let alone 2080s 

Looking again I see the tech has almost caught up however, the price is almost double what I payed for my home machine.

Maybe this is the price I pay to play....

Would still like a desktop tho

6 minutes ago, Leviathan Co-Op said:

"I'll reach out really quick and ask for comment from her."

Steve, I'm gonna donate your next earnings to charity. @WereCatf Do you actually want to hear this stupid story?

6 minutes ago, Lauren Harper said:

Steve, I'm gonna donate your next earnings to charity. @WereCatf Do you actually want to hear this stupid story?

I do at the very least

13 minutes ago, Lauren Harper said:

Sure ?

32 minutes ago, Leviathan Co-Op said:

"I'll reach out really quick and ask for comment from her."

Why the F do you always write in "quotes"? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, Leviathan Co-Op said:

"Because this is a team account. 2 people have access, but 4 have authorization to comment." - Steve F

so is this like a roleplay account or what

A girl who loves to love.

1 minute ago, Leviathan Co-Op said:

"What? You should probably check our profile." - Steve F

so yeah it is, ok

A girl who loves to love.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

so yeah it is, ok

I was busy typing my story in response to the other guy, but I'm gonna stop you right there. The @Leviathan Co-Op account is not "roleplay" or anything related to that kind of content. Don't imply that me and my staff are producing that kind of content on a forum like this. For one thing, it is against LTT's ToS agreement and our own. If you are confused as to what we do, I am perfectly able to answer any questions you have, as long as they don't breach the privacy of me or my staff.

Single account for multiple people is just not how forums are meant to be used.

Have every member of whatever that organization is use their own accounts for stuff they want to comment on individually, and keep the one for "offical" team announcments.

To OP, my ITX build in signature and other sandwich-style cases are so tightly packed that stuff doesn't even have room to rattle around...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Have every member of whatever that organization is use their own accounts for stuff they want to comment on individually, and keep the one for "offical" team announcments.

To OP, my ITX build in signature and other sandwich-style cases are so tightly packed that stuff doesn't even have room to rattle around...

I leave it to the individual on whether they want to have an account on each platform that we use for social media, from Twitter to Patreon. Given the nature of what we do, it is sometimes safer to isolate everything to one account for specific purposes and be able to terminate that account at any time. If they want to join this forum using their personal emails, that is their choice, but I don't think they will. 1 of them is private military and I don't thinks he wants LTT knowing his email. We use this forum as a resource and have made it very clear to LTT that if they have a problem with us and the way we operate, they can remove us. It is no skin off our backs. Sorry OP for going off topic.

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Trust me, it's not worth it to engage with them. Their post history and site are concerning, it's all the same person. I hope they eventually get the help they need.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Back to my original thing. OP, I recommend going with a Dell Precision of a model that is relatively recent. Their build quality is amazing and easy to modify given the right tools. As for forklift story, nah, I ain't telling y'all anything.

1 hour ago, Mr. Shenanigans said:

I travel in a RV three months every year for work and for the last 10 years I've had a desktop with me for HTPC and gaming use so I've learned the hard and expensive way what works and what's going to fail.  For the last couple years I've been using a Skull Canyon NUC and it's great for media and some 1080p gaming but for this season I'm going back to a actual desktop because my new RV has a 4K TV and I'm missing the GPU horsepower.

I'm going for a ITX build in a Phanteks Shift Air caese and these are some thoughts I have.

1. The case uses a PCIe riser cable for the GPU so there won't be any stress on the motherboards PCIe slot.  I've never had a slot actually come off the board but can't count how many times I've had to re-seat a GPU because of the vibration.

2. Has room for a 120mm AIO liquid cooler.  A big air cooler puts a lot of stress on the mounting brackets with the constant vibration plus can become a wrecking ball if it breaks loose so a AIO seems like a safer choice without sacrificing good cooling for a low profile HSF.  I used a H100i in the past and it held up fine so probably going with a H80i.

3. The back panel I/O is mounted internally so if the case ever came loose there be less chance of damaging any ports/plugs.

4. I had problems with RAM popping out in the past and the solution I found on the MP3-Car forums is to put a dab of hot glue on the locking tabs, keeps them secure but can be easily peeled off if needed.

5 hours ago, Leviathan Co-Op said:

"Our private military partner, MarvelBoomBox, uses a toughbook for gaming. I can reach out to him on your behalf to ask what model specifically. Being in a semi, you may have to go to a laptop for durability, which it sounds like that is what you are looking for." - Steve F

I was also going to suggest a toughbook.  They’re built for cop cars.  The trick is going to be getting a video card.  The things are quite modular though (an extreme rarity in modern systems) so something may be possible.  The biggest problem I’m seeing at the moment is their CPUs seem to top out at 4/8 which is a problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Mr. Shenanigans said:

I am in the USA and i get limited to 5g speeds tho i do use 2 different WiFi hot-spots for internet due to throttling.

The last time i looked into good gaming laptops they were not putting 1080s in them let alone 2080s 

Looking again I see the tech has almost caught up however, the price is almost double what I payed for my home machine.

Maybe this is the price I pay to play....

They still aren’t.  Desktop graphics cards use Waaaaaay too much power for laptops.   Getting top level desktop level gaming in a laptop cannot be done.  Period.  The problem is that too end desktop gaming systems also aren’t built for the kind of shock resistance you apparently need.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I feel cheated that this thread went so far off topic yet i still didn't get a story about a computer getting run over by a forklift.

@johnny5c  Maybe i should consider hot gluing every screw as well.  It might be the solution I need. 

I have disregarded tough books due to the lacking performance i have experienced with them but i shall give them another look and see if something better has come around.

@Bombastinator I feel like laptop might be my only easy choice in the end.  Wont be as good but should be ok enough.  The price tag for these things tho (6k)  seem a bit steep but if it works.....

Thank you all for the input so far!