Nvidias shield game console not even close to be popular

Plasma

Despite of all the efforts Nvidia Corp. has put into promotion of its Shield video game console introduced at the CES 2013, the system just did not sell well. While the exact number of Shield units sold is unknown, Nvidia admits that it is not high. Still the company claims that Shield improves Android as a gaming platform in general, which is strategically important for it.

Nvidia Shield game console based on Nvidia Tegra 4 application processor (four ARM Cortex-A15 cores, Nvidia GeForce graphics with 72 stream processors) and features a 5” capacitive touch-screen with 1280*720 resolution (294ppi) as well as ergonomic console-like controller. The Shield runs Google Android 4.0 operating system and can play games from Google Play as well as stream games (which are installed using Steam) from PCs powered by Nvidia GeForce GTX GPUs.

nvidia_shield1.jpg

While Nvidia Shield is generally impressive, it has a number or limitations: far not all Google Android games support D-pad and analogue sticks, not all PC games can be streamed, its screen is smaller than that of tablets and phablets, etc. Since the Shield costs rather hefty $249 in the U.S. and £269 in the UK (more than PlayStation Vita), it could not get popular among games, which Nvidia admits.

“We are modest about the revenues from [Nvidia Shield], we are modest about its distribution, because it is something that we are still learning, but it is important to our strategy for gaming,” said Jen-Hsun Huang, chief executive officer of Nvidia, during a conference call with investors and financial analysts.

For Nvidia, it is important that Google Android platform become a leading platform for gaming in general. In this case, the company’s Tegra application processors with high-performance graphics cores inside will get popular among manufacturers of high-end smartphones and tablets.

KitGuru Says: Late last year Nvidia said that the successor to the Shield could be around the corner. Given that the company is on-track to mass produce its next-gen Tegra K1 system-on-chip with 64-bit general-purpose processing cores in mid-2014, expect a better Shield sometimes this summer.

Source http://www.kitguru.net/mobile/anton-shilov/nvidias-shield-game-console-not-even-close-to-be-popular/

Despite of all the efforts Nvidia Corp. has put into promotion of its Shield video game console introduced at the CES 2013, the system just did not sell well.'

I stopped reading after that. Nvidia never marketed Shield, it was a proof of concept.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Nice copy paste BTW

-_-

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Eh, it was never meant to be a commerical succes. Just to show off their tech and get their fet wet.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

It's a great console replacement imo. Runs the games you already bought in android and can stream your games. The only thing left is to get more devs to add controller support.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Well i don't know. Maybe because YOU CAN'T GET IT ANYWHERE IN THE MIDDLE AND EASTERN PART OF THE FUCKING WORLD. 

You can only get it in USA and well they said UK but i haven't found it anywhere i looked.

The one cool thing they had and it's nowhere to be seen.

well of course, apart from the reasons posted above,   It's not like a simple plug and play device with minimal external requirements. In order for it to be anywhere near enjoyable you need a good network, corresponding Nvidia card, more software and setup on your pc.   It's an awful lot of effort just for the ability to play AAA titles on a phones sized screen on the couch.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If they really wanted numbers they would of sold it in more than one country and made it alot more accessible by the general consumer E.g putting it in store shelves like gamestop etc.

Clearly the guy writing the article is either just headline grabbing or worse does not know what he is talking about, either way.....  :rolleyes:

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I did see it on the uk amazon... You can also buy it in Norway :)

Cool so 3 countries. I can see how they thought that was a good idea.

I live in Australia and i have a shield. Its not sold here, nor would nvidia ship it, so I ordered it through NCIX with international shipping. It was 310 CAD plus 70 shipping, add converting that to AUD, the total cost was $430 (at the time). I think it was worthwhile, I use it for streaming from my PC and emulating N64 on my TV (which works great btw). Stuff like FEZ and Darksouls is great to play with the shield. And i know your thinking $430 is alot to play but Australians are used to paying hefty premiums for tech. For example my local computer store sells 780ti's for $899 and thats about normal for Aus. Here is a link: http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=613802&CategoryID=467

Check out some of the other items as well and compare to newegg, you will get a laugh out of it trust me.

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

The Shield is and was a proof of concept device for Nvidia.  Anyone who thinks differently is wrong.

As such they did basically no marketing and are only selling it in North America.  Every time I use my Shield in public, people are amazed by it and ask what it is. Nvidia is really just using the early adopters to get the ball rolling for them so when they release the full fledged product they will have attention. 

Nvidia has also reached out to me asking for feedback on the Shield and the PC streaming functionality, much more effective product developing/testing than doing it in a lab.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

In my personal opinion Shield was merely one of many attempts from Nvidia to push Tegra adoption and sales.
I have nothing against Tegra SOCs at all but I absolutely despise the "casual" gaming experience that Nvidia is trying to sell with shield, if you have the hardware to run shield you have the hardware to play games on your computer, so just do that, why pay money for an inferior experience is beyond me.

In my personal opinion Shield was merely one of many attempts from Nvidia to push Tegra adoption and sales.

I have nothing against Tegra SOCs at all but I absolutely despise the "casual" gaming experience that Nvidia is trying to sell with shield, if you have the hardware to run shield you have the hardware to play games on your computer, so just do that, why pay money for an inferior experience is beyond me.

Because sometimes I'm a lazy bastard that likes playing games while lying in bed? :P

Nvidia never wanted it to be successfully. Like G-Sync they just want to show they can do it. Nvidia is like that. They push tech in the direction it wants to go by showing everyone up. Like they have done with Shadowplay, G-Sync, PhysX, all of their rendering techniques and now their streaming mobile platform. It's because they have the money to do these things.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Honestly, if I want to play games away from my computer, I'd like to play them on a TV (yay in-home streaming).

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

It is and probably always be a niche device to fill a small market.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Just because of this, I'm ordering one right now.

Hipster FTW.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I really wished I lived a lifestyle right now to use a shield - I think it's a great product/tech

but I'm a single bachelor who consumes ALL my media by computer and don't use a convential living room with a TV

Mines great I use it all the time!

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

It's a great console replacement imo. Runs the games you already bought in android and can stream your games. The only thing left is to get more devs to add controller support.

you cannot compare nVidia shield for a console! a console is a dedicated box under your TV set that runs games of a controller not with shield from mini hdmi to hdmi output. So Shield is a handheld device not a console

BTW Handhelds are NOT consoles......

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

you cannot compare nVidia shield for a console! a console is a dedicated box under your TV set that runs games of a controller not with shield from mini hdmi to hdmi output. So Shield is a handheld device not a console

BTW Handhelds are NOT consoles......

but handhelds are consoles... Fixed hardware, easier to code for etc.

So... Yeah shield is a console

Because reasons

Hail Sithis!