End-User

Soundmin7

Linus:

I believe if you can not make something, at least once, you should not use it at all.

-> One might become enslaved by the necessity of the item. It is better off avoiding all together.  -> ex Ghandi and salt.

These advanced techs and expensive cards seem beyond the hobists frame of mind. 

In the old days we solder components on bread boards.

I fear for the future generations which might become dependant on a 'less than' sufficient technology to fight a war. 

Get back to me on this.

Dale T

8 minutes ago, Soundmin7 said:

Now we solder things to PCBs that we designed ourselves.

8 minutes ago, Soundmin7 said:

I fear for the future generations which might become dependant on a 'less than' sufficient technology to fight a war.

What makes them "less than sufficient technology"?

9 minutes ago, Soundmin7 said:

I sincerely hope this wasn't a common practice ?

Breadboards and perfboards serve a different purpose..

Also, I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say here... But yes, repairing electronics is important.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

I sincerely hope this wasn't a common practice ?

Breadboards and perfboards serve a different purpose..

Also, I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say here... But yes, repairing electronics is important.

it wasn't, from the minute you could have a pc in your house, even the comically big ones, it was a bunch of gpu shaped daughter boards that you plugged into one another, no soldering ever unless you're talking about og overclocking

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Ghandi said none of that shit. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

20 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

it wasn't, from the minute you could have a pc in your house, even the comically big ones, it was a bunch of gpu shaped daughter boards that you plugged into one another, no soldering ever unless you're talking about og overclocking

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe OP brought up the breadboard point to kind of say "back in my day we used to solder our own electronics together!". Which I believe is some sort of education missing in schools nowadays.

But with "I hope this wasn't common practice" I specifically meant using a breadboard to solder to.

Breadboard:

Spoiler

555_feat.jpg?w=800

^board you plug wires and devices into

Perfboard:

Spoiler

FKFCKS6H4AGKVD5.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp&width=1024&height=1024&fit=bounds

^board you actually solder components into.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 hours ago, Soundmin7 said:

Linus:

I believe if you can not make something, at least once, you should not use it at all.

-> One might become enslaved by the necessity of the item. It is better off avoiding all together.  -> ex Ghandi and salt.

These advanced techs and expensive cards seem beyond the hobists frame of mind. 

Get back to me on this.

Dale T

I mean yes, maybe the do it yourself and solder your own mentality is dying, but so is the necessity for it.

Back then you didn't have the automation and the capabilities to work on these much smaller processes. You were very limited to what you could fit on a board and then limited by just how big the components were. So you would peice together a machine, and replace different components by just unplugging one board from the others. You also had huge machines with huge cost.

Today the size of these machines is a fraction of what it was, same thing for the component size, and cost. The machines are also higher quality and last longer thanks to all these improvements. They are more user friendly and are in pretty much in everyone home in a first world country.

So the question is; was the trade off worth it? I think so. There will always be a small enthusiast market for some of what you are missing and soldering will be needed for a very long time still. In return though we get computers and smart devices into more houses, with higher reliability, and a low costs. My cell phone for examples is tens of thousands times faster that the computers talked about here. All in the size of something I can carry in my pocket. I have access to any information, entertainment,  or communication need I might have in seconds. That IMO is worth it.

20 hours ago, minibois said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe OP brought up the breadboard point to kind of say "back in my day we used to solder our own electronics together!". Which I believe is some sort of education missing in schools nowadays.

But with "I hope this wasn't common practice" I specifically meant using a breadboard to solder to.

Breadboard:

^board you plug wires and devices into

Perfboard:

^board you actually solder components into.

thank god someone knows the difference between pcb, bread board, and perfboard/protoboard.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

21 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Ghandi said none of that shit. 

Ghandi was also an asshole.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

9 hours ago, F77 said:

Ghandi was also an asshole.

So was george washington, that doesn't mean i can make shit up and quote it as if george washington had said it. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On 1/15/2020 at 3:45 AM, Soundmin7 said:

Have you ever designed and built your own car, cell phone, TV, satellite, lithium battery? The list is endless and your statement is ridiculously hypocritical. What ever device you’re posting on the forums with is very likely something you have no experience making yourself.

1 hour ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

So was george washington, that doesn't mean i can make shit up and quote it as if george washington had said it. 

Well you can because they are mostly meaningless people.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

This is similar to some of the more extremist Amish theory but even they don’t go that far.  This is about division of labor.  It hasn’t been possible for thousands of years.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 minutes ago, F77 said:

Well you can because they are mostly meaningless people.

meaningless people is not an excuse for spreading false information.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

* thread locked *

as per the Community Standards ;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !