What is a thing that a first time pc builder should know?

Prepare a first aid kit

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This Is Fine | Know Your Meme

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Don't hesitate to watch and rewatch build videos on youtube while you're building it.
if you got a friend irl or online you can chat iwth over the phone who knows about computers, they can help walk you through it as well

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

On 1/14/2020 at 1:00 PM, cluelessgenius said:

gpu last. cables first. and for gods sake try to make it look somewhat clean. you get bad karma points for just shoving all the cables in there and leaving it being a mess. also putting on the sidepanel before posting is bad ju-ju as well :D oh and post your results when youre done :) 

The pc doesn't boot :/. The mobo flashes a Red Light next to text that says "cpu" I'm not sure If the cable is not connected well enough or if the cpu is broken. 

2 minutes ago, Ak5u said:

The pc doesn't boot :/. The mobo flashes a Red Light next to text that says "cpu" I'm not sure If the cable is not connected well enough or if the cpu is broken. 

Pictures of the build?

8-pin CPU connected?

Full spec list?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If in doubt, ask questions. Alot of people here eager to help someone in need. Don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Good Luck

On 1/13/2020 at 1:05 PM, Ak5u said:

I'm gonna build a pc tomorrow. Is there some extra tricks I should know? 

There not as breakable as may be expected I man handle them so don't baby you stuff. (Linus Drops his all the time)

On 1/14/2020 at 5:09 AM, Samfisher said:

Decide your fan intake and exhaust direction.  The side with the brace across it is always the exhaust side, as in air comes out that side.   You REALLY don't want to wire everything up, have everything setup and then find out the fans are the wrong direction and you'll have to remove every thing to fix it.

Yea always double check the fans, the ones on my AIO water cooler are backwards and I think suck up way more dust. But I can't be bothered to fix it because it works as is.

Watch youtube videos on how to install your motherboard, builds with your case, how to install your CPU cooler, and common build mistakes.

I'll add - the cables from the case that attach to the mobo have jumpers that go on little pins.  Its easier to attach them before placing the mobo in the case.

I ran a small benchmark (userbenchmark.exe) and say that my memory speed was very slow, so I went into teh BIOS and lo and behold it had selected the incorrect (much lower ) speed.

1 hour ago, Ak5u said:

take the cpu back out carefully. check the pins on the mobo with a flashlight. just make sure not to drop it on there. if none look obviously bent then try simply putting the cpu back in and wiggle it a bit in there. sometimes a simple re-seating of the cpu works. also while youre at it check the 8 pin power cable for the cpu. is it in all the way on the mobo? did you plug the other end in the proper place on the psu ?(if you have a modular one). 

also full specs would be helpful. maybe ou just need a bios update or something.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

On 1/13/2020 at 2:08 PM, Stu_Bear said:

Don't drink alcohol before or during.

What?  Don't get too carried away.  A glass of bourbon has always helped me when building PCs.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Cloud9 0m3a said:

Install your IO shield!

^ Before you put in the motherboard!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 1/13/2020 at 10:05 PM, Ak5u said:

I'm gonna build a pc tomorrow. Is there some extra tricks I should know? 

Thanks everyone for the great tips i finally finished the build and did some troubleshooting! It works! 

IMG_20200115_185222.jpg

Beware of motherboard screws falling behind parts during installation! Nothing worse than having to take everything out just to find that one screw you dropped.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

12 hours ago, startrekdude said:

Yea always double check the fans, the ones on my AIO water cooler are backwards and I think suck up way more dust. But I can't be bothered to fix it because it works as is.

The direction of the fan shouldn't change how much dust is in the system.  It either gets caught on 1 side of the radiator, or between the radiator and fan, depending on where the fans are facing.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

don't watch the verge lol

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Never do what Steve Urkle from the Verge did

On 1/15/2020 at 10:09 PM, Samfisher said:

The direction of the fan shouldn't change how much dust is in the system.  It either gets caught on 1 side of the radiator, or between the radiator and fan, depending on where the fans are facing.

ah makes sense 

1 hour ago, doertedev said:

First rule of mainboards? USE SPACERS! drilled my first mobo directly to the case ... i was young. Very young :D

God, I did exactly this for my first build ?

Take your time, and watch a video while building it and treat it like someone is physically there guiding you on what to do. When I did my second build last year I had a video walk-through on the TV and would constantly pause it to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. I think Linus recently released a first time building video that is pretty good at walking you through what you need to know and do. 

My advice.... well, three of them ...

If the motherboard has a separate IO shield, don't forget to install that one in the case, before you insert the motherboard. (and pay attention to those springy bits so they won't obstruct connectors)

Try to install most components (cpu, memory, cooler, optional m.2 ssd) while the motherboard is outside, sitting on some non-conductive material (the cardboard box that the motherboard was shipped into for example, or some sheets of copier paper)

Watch some build guides on Youtube from several different people, which have good rating. Maybe go through some of the most highlighted comments to see if there's some obvious flaws pointed out in the comments for the guide.

If you still have concerns, maybe write down on a sheet of paper some bullet points, see what's done similarly in multiple videos and have that paper near you.

Ex 

1. take out motherboard and put it on cardboard box

2. open cpu box, cpu socket and insert the cpu paying attention to arrows

3. install ram

4. remove plastic from heatsink if any, put a big drop of thermal paste on cpu if there's no pre-applied paste on heatsink (or clean existing old paste from heatsink and put fresh paste on cpu)

and so on...

5. install m.2 SSD

6. make sure motherboard standoffs are installed only where there are motherboard screw holes

6. double check io shield is installed in case and insert the mb at an angle so that it will slide nicely in the io shield and sit on standoffs

... and so on...

Saves you from having to go back and forth in videos and panicking if you miss some steps

If some videos recommend something but others don't, don't be afraid to ask on forums what's the deal with that.

and last but not least, don't use the verge's video as a guide.