RAZER: why does nobody else do this?

On 1/2/2020 at 5:03 PM, 7412 said:

How come this company can get away with charging their laptops for ridiculous prices, just because they're the only company that's making good looking gaming laptops?

They're not even TRYING to do this. They put no effort in designing their laptops.

They're just black rectangles. And that's exactly why they look good.

What's so hard to replicate about this, and why are other gaming laptop manufacturers blasting us with garbage "gamery" design instead of just presenting us with clean-looking, unicolor rectangles?

The reason a lot of laptops look stupid with a gamery design is because they need to be thick for cooling. Instead of making their laptop a 2 inch thick rectangular brick, they make it look somewhat less fat by adding edges which may give the illusion that they are not as fat as they actually are.

Although i completely agree with you about the fact that gaming laptops these days look stupid with their gamery designs. But if you want a thin, clean looking laptop you are gonna need to take the compromise of having less performance. In a thin chassis like razer's, the most powerful graphics card you could probably use without thermal throttling is probably around about a rtx 2060 max q or a gtx 1660 ti.

For CPUs its even more complicated as intel's wattage figures are almost always wrong. But i would say in a thin and light gaming laptop the best cpu you could use without throttling is an i7 9750h or maybe an i7 9850h. No special mobile i9s or anything like that.

You probably wont be able to play 4k or anything on a razer blade 17 without some serious throttling. And thats the same with any other thin and light gaming laptop.

Sorry for the essay on thin and light gaming laptops

On 1/2/2020 at 9:15 AM, Levent said:

I tend to appreciate underwhelming look on everything. Cars, laptops, computers, phones. Razer does that well with their laptops (rest of their RGB shit is pure eyesore and aimed for kids) and they are charging extra for it because people buy their laptops due to that (and also performance). When you google "gaming laptop" you get shitty designed, obnoxious laptops aimed at 12-17 year olds. Same thing goes for Apple hardware. They all look subtle and perform nicely although they sometimes have design flaws people still wait in lines to pay for those.

They arent aimed towards kids though.

RGB isnt a thing only younger kids care about. Plenty of adults do as well.

Id be willing to bet the number of 12-17 year olds with a gaming laptop isnt even 1/4 the number of 20+ year olds that bought one.

I get not liking rgb. But its a personal opinion that has literally nothing to do with age. 

There are plenty of brands going for a simple looking and well built laptop. Dell XPS and Microsoft really helped PC makers embrace the idea that Windows hardware can and should be available in a premium unbloated package. I bought one of the first XPS 13s and loved that thing and I only recently replaced it with the new Razer Blade Stealth GTX model.

The new Razer is exactly what I needed, something with fast enough specs to run engineering applications and program on plus enough graphics horsepower to game when I'm on the go in a very portable package. There is nothing as small as the Stealth GTX with the same specs and that really matters for me, it's hardly bigger than my old XPS was with a lot of added utility.

Razer costs more than some of its competitors, but generally their pricing doesn't look that crazy to me, they are generally offering a bit more in some areas in terms of material selection and things like that and they seem to be in line with other premium offerings like Surface. Some people compare the Razer tax to the Apple tax, but honestly no one gets close to the Apple tax.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:03 AM, 7412 said:

How come this company can get away with charging their laptops for ridiculous prices

*stares at you intently in Apple*

Lenovo has kept the tradition of black industrial design going since they bought IBM's laptop division. 

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, zaekaleem said:

It's just that you don't see them as often because the main gaming laptops you see advertised when searching for one, are the more value oriented ones that are usually made of plastic. 

Yeah but, like...Couldn't they be just black rectangles made of plastic? I'm talking shapes and design choices here, not premium materials.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:03 AM, 7412 said:

How come this company can get away with charging their laptops for ridiculous prices, just because they're the only company that's making good looking gaming laptops?

They're not even TRYING to do this. They put no effort in designing their laptops.

What's so hard to replicate about this, and why are other gaming laptop manufacturers blasting us with garbage "gamery" design instead of just presenting us with clean-looking, unicolor rectangles?

Because most people have bad taste and like garbage.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:05 AM, Mira Yurizaki said:

It's a false positive reinforcement. These companies throw out garbage designs, but since they're basically the only companies that sell gaming grade laptops, people buy them. And to those companies that means their design works.

Plus it's part of a brand identity. If everyone looked the same, they'd have a hard time sticking out.

I don't think that's the case, the brands don't have some 12 year old with a crayon designing laptops. It's likely their entire marketing department deciding that "this is the next cool thing". Ever answer surveys put out by companies (market research), they often have very leading questions.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:52 AM, EldritchMoose said:

If you feel like you've found a niche that is currently underserved in the laptop gaming space, feel free to capitalize on it by making your own "black rectangle but also powerful enough to just play games real good like while not as expensive as Razer" style line of laptops. No one is stopping you.

Alternatively, seek out a job in the marketing or R&D department for your favourite laptop manufacturer and lobby hard for the basic design.

As to why no one else is doing it: They don't want to or perhaps they don't need to. Large companies are many things, but risk-takers is usually not among those things. Unless someone comes along to tell them that the general public is more likely to notice and buy a featureless black rectangle as opposed to a more custom design that they can actually copyright, and backs that statement up with actual data, it's unlikely to change anytime soon.

The boring black/grey rectangle is Dell and HP's trademark business designs. If you want a gaming notebook that looks like a business laptop, There are the stock Clevo platform, and there is also Lenovo. You can also just buy the workstation laptops from Dell that have the Quadro's in them, but they're nowhere near as fast as a desktop CPU/GPU.

A lot of this gamer-RGB cruft, is just that, it's like adding lights to the underside of your car. You're rarely going to look at it in use, but if you're going to out-bling your friends, it's something you do, and your machine rapidly approaches "pretty" rather than functional.

I'm sure you've heard how all the RGB lighting stuff throws the energy use way off.

On 1/2/2020 at 2:03 PM, 7412 said:

Razer are the apple of the PC gaming market... overpriced, over rated and fanbois gush all over them whilst constantly complaining about how often they fail... Hint... I'm looking at you Linus.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

23 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

Razer are the apple of the PC gaming market... overpriced, over rated and fanbois gush all over them whilst constantly complaining about how often they fail... Hint... I'm looking at you Linus.

Your reply is completely irrelevant to this thread through. We're not discussing the quality of Razer products, but rather talking about how they design their laptop from a purely cosmetic perspective. 

Imagine if you could have a solid, long-lasting laptop with top specs, good support, quality control and appropriate pricing - in which chassis would you like it all to sit? In a disgusting red "gamery" laptop from ASUS, or a sleek, elegant Razer Blade Stealth chassis?

lol this is a sad topic because everything is trash in the laptop industry the only good looking is surfaces but gaming on them without egpu is a joke

11 minutes ago, Toxic_Fate said:

lol this is a sad topic because everything is trash in the laptop industry the only good looking is surfaces but gaming on them without egpu is a joke

I think i found the fanboy!

Honestly there is so much useless fanboy and anti-fanboyism in this thread its disgusting. Not going to name names here but there is a LOT of people just interjecting their opinion without any backup "People buy X because they like overpriced trash" is not adding to the discussion whatsoever.

Razer, as with every company worth their salt, makes good and bad products. I use a Razer Ornata and honestly forget it's not the same switch as the cheap knockoff MX Blue board it replaced. I reccomend the razer ornata to those who ARENT keyboard elitists who just want a good not expensive keyboard to type on.

Ive had 2 razer deathadder mice fail on me. I don't reccomend the deathadder.

I loved my Basilik, though didn't have it long because I am not right handed. I reccomend on the condition that I did NOT test it for very long and don't know its longevity.

Ive never handled a razer laptop for more than a couple minutes. I don't have an objective opinion of them. I PERSONALLY like the design language razer goes for and found the magnesium frame very satisfying to work with, but do not own one because I have 0 use whatsoever for a high powered gaming laptop.

Providing non-emotionally driven opinions on products isn't difficult people. You can't say something sucks without experience of it sucking, or if you have 0 personal experience with it say as such and cite WHY you think it sucks (usually a product review).

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

On 1/2/2020 at 11:47 AM, 7412 said:

Don't know about that. My Razer mouse is 6 years old now, still working like a charm. My laptop is from last year, and the only thing I'd complain about is the fact that the charger that comes in the box can't handle heavy loads - but no flaw when it comes to the laptop itself anyway. My experience with them is rather positive. Maybe I'm just lucky though.

Eeeh...MSI laptops feel very cheap looking IMO. 

And they're the biggest offender for the "black and red" gamer theme.

what about ASUS

Specs

Ryzen 7 3700x | X570 Aorus Pro Wifi | 32GB (16x2) 16-16-16-36 G.Skill Trident Z RGB | MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2080ti

Black boxes look cool and all but when I was 11 I thought alien ware was the shit because I saw the laptop on the big bang theory. It all depends on the person.

It's somewhat sarcastic that most "gaming" laptop designs are aimed towards kids, yet even a person with quite some working experience cannot easily afford them heh?