Buyer be warned. Best buy debacle.

Dbeatz222
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Why were you using the gift?    Sorry if this is a derail,  but if it was a gift then wouldn't you want to give it to the person in it's original box unopened?

I can think of 3 very good reasons why this might be the case

1. They may be building a new system as a gift for someone and the graphics card is just one part of the gift. This would include not only making sure it all works, but possibly also setting it up and installing the operating system, drivers, games, etc.
  2. They may be upgrading the PC of someone who isn't as tech savvy and may not be confident in replacing their own graphics card. Part of the gift could be that OP does everything and sets it all up for them and when they receive it they switch it on and it's good to go.
  3. They're buying it as a gift for themselves. Lots of people buy themselves what they want for Christmas. Especially if something you were already planning on buying for yourself goes on sale leading up to Christmas, it gives you a good excuse to buy it.

Well ok, where to start. Bought a 2070 super from best buy. After a week fan started malfunctioning... no biggie, I'll just replace it. 

Call best buy start the replacement process. 

Fist alert FedEx wasn't shipping the replacement ups was.... ok let it Rock out.

Second alert was actually getting the item.... it was in a plastic bag brov!? Plastic!!!.

I appreciate my ups guy he's really cool and super nice. I asked him directly "do you know what's in there" his answer was "no I never do"

That should tell you that no particular package will get special treatment. If you (best buy or other retailer) ship this 5-600 dollar GPU in a box without padding it has a 75%-94% chance of reaching the destination intact compared to the bag it actually came in. If you ship in a box with padding the numbers get ridiculous at 98% - 99.999999% more secure than the stupid bag. 

Seriously when I realized that was the numbers I almost puked at the thought of the level of stupidity that went into planning this shipment. 

Biggest problem yet... best buy refuses to replace it. Even though next week is Christmas and I obviously bought this as a gift. Only offering me a refund. On another day maybe that would be fine. But this card is hard to find 1, expensive as FUQ!!! 2. 

These are the reasons I pay extra at microcenter or compusa when they were around. The level of professionalism will never be matched. 

P.s. yes I ran the numbers? (I still have no clue why that was soooooooooo? important for me to do)??‍♂️

Best buys policies:

Holiday return and exchange periods:

Buy your gifts and other items this holiday with the peace of mind of easy returns. Almost every purchase made throughout November and December can be returned through January 14, 2020. Purchases made between November 1 and December 31, 2019 have an extended return period through January 14, 2020, excluding cell phones, cellular tablets, cellular wearables, AppleCare monthly plans, and major appliances. All other terms and conditions of our Return & Exchange Promise apply.

My Best Buy® Elite and Elite Plus members have an extended holiday return/exchange window for products purchased between November 1 and December 31, 2019. My Best Buy Elite members have the greater of January 14, 2020, or 30 days from the date the purchaser received the product, to return or exchange the product. My Best Buy Elite Plus members have the greater of January 14, 2020, or 45 days from the date the purchaser received the product, to return or exchange the product. Previously mentioned exclusions apply. 

Qualifying purchase

Last day of return window

Cell phones, cellular tablets and cellular wearables

14 days

Major appliances

15 days

Most Best Buy purchases

Jan. 14, 2020

If the fan stopped working why didn't you contact the company that made the graphics card? They should have a warrantee right? Why best buy 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

FedEx has higher standards than UPS. I've worked for both companies in the past. I'm sorry that I wasn't obvious in what I was referring to. I will try to be clearer next post.

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

If the fan stopped working why didn't you contact the company that made the graphics card? They should have a warrantee right? Why best buy 

It was a week after buying it. You go with where you got it from before you go to a manufacturer. Plus you should get your product replaced faster.

2 minutes ago, Inx said:

Best Buy is weird when it comes to shipping things.  I bought a Corsair HS60 headset, and the box that it came in, I swear could have housed a whole desktop tower, and I mean a FULL SIZE, like the ones' old 486's came in that were higher than knee high.  I had made an unboxing video on YouTube because my face says it all.  I thought I got the wrong shipment until I realized just how lightweight the box was.

Now ordering other things, I've gotten the plastic bag treatment as well, and they apparently do this to get around shipping charges or something like that?  It's mail fraud basically from what the post office told me, but I don't know if it's the same for UPS and whatnot.

photo_2019-12-14_13-44-49.jpg

That's exactly why I'm posting here. This is one of the biggest tech voices on the internet, so it's only fitting. Other buyers need to know what they are in store for. I appreciate your reply. I knew I wasn't alone but its comforting knowing I have someone to relate to on this.

15 minutes ago, Dbeatz222 said:

FedEx has higher standards than UPS. I've worked for both companies in the past. I'm sorry that I wasn't obvious in what I was referring to. I will try to be clearer next post.

I'll give you that, I'm an export manager and as far as couriers go UPS does an awful work for us every time lol

DHL and FedEx are always more reliable.

That aside you kinda have to rant only on your status update, this is not a tech news thread I'm sorry.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

- Thread Moved & Cleaned -

The Tech News section is for discussing published news articles related to Tech. Please view the Guidelines before posting there.

For everyone else: Do not backseat moderate.

If a post is in the wrong section please report it as "Posted in the wrong subforum" and the thread will be moved to the correct place.

Everyone spamming "WrOnG FoRuM" only derails the conversation. The best thing to do is just report the post and pretend like it was posted in the correct forum and continue the discussion normally, that way when a moderator does move it to the correct forum they don't need to go through and delete 17 posts that aren't relevant to the discussion.

Do not backseat moderate – if there’s an issue, please use the report function. This includes responses such as "Off topic", "spam", "advertising", "status update material" etc; leave it for the mod team to handle.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Dbeatz222 said:

These are the reasons I pay extra at microcenter or compusa when they were around.

Micro Center still exists though?

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

Thank you for helping me out here. I'm definitely new here.

Just now, weeblord said:

Micro Center still exists though?

No one said it didn't. 

Well ok, where to start. Bought a 2070 super from best buy. After a week fan started malfunctioning..

Even though next week is Christmas and I obviously bought this as a gift.

Why were you using the gift?    Sorry if this is a derail,  but if it was a gift then wouldn't you want to give it to the person in it's original box unopened?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I can think of 3 very good reasons why this might be the case

1. They may be building a new system as a gift for someone and the graphics card is just one part of the gift. This would include not only making sure it all works, but possibly also setting it up and installing the operating system, drivers, games, etc.
  2. They may be upgrading the PC of someone who isn't as tech savvy and may not be confident in replacing their own graphics card. Part of the gift could be that OP does everything and sets it all up for them and when they receive it they switch it on and it's good to go.
  3. They're buying it as a gift for themselves. Lots of people buy themselves what they want for Christmas. Especially if something you were already planning on buying for yourself goes on sale leading up to Christmas, it gives you a good excuse to buy it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I build systems, so you get a whole computer from me not just a box of parts or a part. Most of my clients have me built for their children. I'm sure this 10k PC is for his son.

128 ram corsair ram

4nvme 1tb samsung drives

Rm800

2x 2070 super 

Just to name a few components. Then they must pay me to put this together and dial it in.

When you spend that kind of money you expect it to have been tested thoroughly. Think about the amount of times people complain about something not working after a week or a month? I try to mitigate those issues as much as possible. 

@Dbeatz222 did you end up getting it replaced? Most likely they simply didn't have any stock to replace it with - there's really nothing they can do about that. Your best bet would have been to check the site and see if there's another in stock (or equivalent replacement), or try and find it in-store at a Best Buy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well ok, where to start. Bought a 2070 super from best buy. After a week fan started malfunctioning... no biggie, I'll just replace it. 

Call best buy start the replacement process. 

Fist alert FedEx wasn't shipping the replacement ups was.... ok let it Rock out.

Second alert was actually getting the item.... it was in a plastic bag brov!? Plastic!!!.

Just so I am understanding correctly.

• You purchased a RTX 2070 Super from best buy. The unit was shipped properly (or you picked up in store, whatever).
  • A week later one of the fans stopped working on the card, so you contacted Best Buy for a replacement
  • Best Buy shipped you out a replacement, but the packaging they used to send the replacement card to you did not meet your expectations.
    • Further clarification; Was the graphics card packaged in its retail box and then wrapped in a plastic shipping sleeve, or was it a bare card just in an anti-static bag shipped in plastic sleeve without any box at all?

Biggest problem yet... best buy refuses to replace it.

Do they have any reason to replace it? Any physical damage to the box/packaging it came in? Did the replacement card have any damage? Does it not work?

If there's no damage and the card works fine then why do you think Best Buy should replace it?

If you ever receive a package and you are not happy with its condition and/or there are visible signs of physical damage to the packaging then do not accept delivery*. Tell the delivery driver you refuse to accept and they will need to return it to the sender. The store will then send you a new one and they will claim the cost of the damaged item through the courier company delivery insurance. It may add an extra day or two as it needs to be shipped back/another shipped to you, but it saves a lot of hassle trying to get a refund after you sign for the package, open it, and then find whatever is inside is broken.
The other thing you can do, and this is what happened recently with one of my deliveries (rather cheap item) was before I signed for it the delivery driver noted on the delivery log that the external box was damaged in transit. That way if there were any problems it would be noted as having damage to the box in shipping and would make it a lot easier for me to get a refund/replacement. (Thankfully the product was fine and the retail packaging inside was undamaged.)

*Obviously this only works if you need to sign for the package and they don't just leave it at your doorstep, but you did mention you spoke to the delivery driver about the package

When I got my 2070 Super I ordered it right from Nvidia as I was looking for the FE and they were the only ones that had it in stock at the time, makes sense. The card was DOA and Nvidia's RMA department was inept, I tried 3-4 times just to get the return label and nothing. In the end I decided it might be easier just to return it and buy it elsewhere, and it was. I purchased my replacement on Best Buy's site, it arrived 3 days later packed in an appropriately sized box and it worked perfectly. Unless Best Buy has there own couriers, which I don't believe they do, I can't see them mailing off expensive components in bags with little to no protection. If this is the case they seriously need to retrain their warehouse employees. 

2 hours ago, Dbeatz222 said:

2 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

I'll give you that, I'm an export manager and as far as couriers go UPS does an awful work for us every time lol

DHL and FedEx are always more reliable.

That aside you kinda have to rant only on your status update, this is not a tech news thread I'm sorry.

Funny. I've had far better service with UPS than with Fedup...er...Fedex. DHL was so unreliable, not mention their nonexistent customer "service", I've banned my vendors from ever using them. If a vendor refuses to not use DHL, I lose the vendor.

Best Buy has some strange attitudes. The one time I ordered someting online to be shipped to me, they canceled an order I made with no explanation after quickly taking my money, then took their sweet time refunding my money. When I repeatedly asked why they canceled the order, they eventually said they do not ship to known reshippers (my shipping address is a UPS Store mail box). Despite repeated requests, they would never tell me why?

My guess is they are afraid I might be shipping products out of the country that are banned from being exported. What is definite is Best Buy has lost a heck of a lot of business from me because of it. I'm not boycotting them but, if I'm in a hurry for something and they don't have what I need locally (which is most of the time), I go elsewhere since I can't order from them online. I suppose I could have them ship to a store but after the ignored requests and general crap I got from them, I would rather not.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 hours ago, Dbeatz222 said:

FedEx has higher standards than UPS.

BULL SHIT. ABOSOLUTE BULL SHIT. The company I work for ships a lot of shit FedEx and UPS. You know who treats our packages with respect? UPS. You know who got caught throwing packages from the loading dock to the van? FedEX. You know who got caught throwing TV's over peoples fences and counting them as delivered FedEx: https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/12/21/fedex-apologizes-after-driver-tosses-computer-monitor-over-fence/. FedEx's ansrew to this: "Its Insured". They have low hiring standards for drivers. 

2 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

They should have a warrantee right? Why best buy 

Generally when you with in the return period they would probably just tell you to return the card for a refund or exchange. Even then RMA's take forever. I remember waiting like 4 weeks for a laptop hard drive from WD and At least 2 or so weeks for both a replacement UPS and Monitor. If it were me, I would have just taken the refund. Of course I dont really shop at Best Buy, I just buy off Amazon and Im a prime member so I get that 2 day shipping :D

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

@Dbeatz222 did you end up getting it replaced? Most likely they simply didn't have any stock to replace it with - there's really nothing they can do about that. Your best bet would have been to check the site and see if there's another in stock (or equivalent replacement), or try and find it in-store at a Best Buy.

They have stock, just was unwilling to replace it. The closest store to me that has that card in stock has one and its 20 miles away. 

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

BULL SHIT. ABOSOLUTE BULL SHIT. The company I work for ships a lot of shit FedEx and UPS. You know who treats our packages with respect? UPS. You know who got caught throwing packages from the loading dock to the van? FedEX. You know who got caught throwing TV's over peoples fences and counting them as delivered FedEx: https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/12/21/fedex-apologizes-after-driver-tosses-computer-monitor-over-fence/. FedEx's ansrew to this: "Its Insured". They have low hiring standards for drivers. 

Generally when you with in the return period they would probably just tell you to return the card for a refund or exchange. Even then RMA's take forever. I remember waiting like 4 weeks for a laptop hard drive from WD and At least 2 or so weeks for both a replacement UPS and Monitor. If it were me, I would have just taken the refund. Of course I dont really shop at Best Buy, I just buy off Amazon and Im a prime member so I get that 2 day shipping :D

Not bullshit, I've worked for both companies in the past as a logistics manager and a package handler. the things you can get fired for under ups standards is way lower than FedEx. Sorry you feel you had information there, but you simply don't. When it comes down to it it is up to the discretion of the people handling your stuff. My UPS guys are awesome. But my ups Package handlers suck major ballz brov. FedEx has both higher standards for package handling and delivery. Next time don't take facts so personal. Next thing is it takes newegg, bestbuy and microcenter 3days around Christmas time for a return turn around. Read the policies a bit more carefully and you will understand why your reply is very irrelevant. 

Thank you for trying. You should take a moment to realize I am a thorough kinda guy... a few mistakes here and there but I don't give information I cannot back up. You should take that into consideration for yourself. 

10 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Funny. I've had far better service with UPS than with Fedup...er...Fedex. DHL was so unreliable, not mention their nonexistent customer "service", I've banned my vendors from ever using them. If a vendor refuses to not use DHL, I lose the vendor.

Best Buy has some strange attitudes. The one time I ordered someting online to be shipped to me, they canceled an order I made with no explanation after quickly taking my money, then took their sweet time refunding my money. When I repeatedly asked why they canceled the order, they eventually said they do not ship to known reshippers (my shipping address is a UPS Store mail box). Despite repeated requests, they would never tell me why?

My guess is they are afraid I might be shipping products out of the country that are banned from being exported. What is definite is Best Buy has lost a heck of a lot of business from me because of it. I'm not boycotting them but, if I'm in a hurry for something and they don't have what I need locally (which is most of the time), I go elsewhere since I can't order from them online. I suppose I could have them ship to a store but after the ignored requests and general crap I got from them, I would rather not.

I must agree here to some point. UPS has some of the nicest people working for them, but FedEx pays more so the job tends to be taken more seriously with FedEx. Also you can own your router with FedEx allowing you to have even more money in your pocket. That last part is where you get the worst of the FedEx drivers but on the same hand you get the best from that pool too. Overall FedEx has more insensitive to deliver with care. Ups us all about speed and volume. 

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

Just so I am understanding correctly.

• You purchased a RTX 2070 Super from best buy. The unit was shipped properly (or you picked up in store, whatever).
  • A week later one of the fans stopped working on the card, so you contacted Best Buy for a replacement
  • Best Buy shipped you out a replacement, but the packaging they used to send the replacement card to you did not meet your expectations.
    • Further clarification; Was the graphics card packaged in its retail box and then wrapped in a plastic shipping sleeve, or was it a bare card just in an anti-static bag shipped in plastic sleeve without any box at all?

Do they have any reason to replace it? Any physical damage to the box/packaging it came in? Did the replacement card have any damage? Does it not work?

If there's no damage and the card works fine then why do you think Best Buy should replace it?

If you ever receive a package and you are not happy with its condition and/or there are visible signs of physical damage to the packaging then do not accept delivery*. Tell the delivery driver you refuse to accept and they will need to return it to the sender. The store will then send you a new one and they will claim the cost of the damaged item through the courier company delivery insurance. It may add an extra day or two as it needs to be shipped back/another shipped to you, but it saves a lot of hassle trying to get a refund after you sign for the package, open it, and then find whatever is inside is broken.
The other thing you can do, and this is what happened recently with one of my deliveries (rather cheap item) was before I signed for it the delivery driver noted on the delivery log that the external box was damaged in transit. That way if there were any problems it would be noted as having damage to the box in shipping and would make it a lot easier for me to get a refund/replacement. (Thankfully the product was fine and the retail packaging inside was undamaged.)

*Obviously this only works if you need to sign for the package and they don't just leave it at your doorstep, but you did mention you spoke to the delivery driver about the package

I know... if it was in a box it would have been obvious that the cards box and moreover the card would have been damaged. But it arrived in an oversized plastic bag with the air bubbles inside. It didn't look suspicious except for being in a bag

Yea, I always talk to my Ups guys they will wait for me to come down to them because I normally walk down with offerings of water and a bathroom privileges. 

I tested the card a few times and it failed at 4k, 1080p and 720p. My other card works fine at stock pushing all of that. But this one from bestbuy just kept crashing. I used gta v to test. 

Do you have a picture of said graphics card in a plastic bag? Are we talking poly mailer with a bare card in it, or retail boxed card in a bubble wrap envelope?

I wish I took some pictures for this. It came in the original nvidia box that was put into a bubble bag. Something like that, just bigger.S-22403BL.thumb.jpg.0a6fe53f4c85d975436c380d109d4d9b.jpg