What is the best Tech you've found at a thrift shop?

So this one could be fun. What is the coolest, oddest, or weirdest tech you've ever found at a thrift store or second hand shop? 

The best thing I'd think I've gotten from the Thrift shopping was either my Logitech C910 that I paid 4.00 for, and compared to the like sale price on Amazon and Ebay, I think I got a good deal. I also ended up with a Huion drawing tablet CiB, still worked and everything. Then it's long gone but I once upon a time had a USB PS2 controller adapter that supported 2 controllers and worked on both PC and at the time PS3 minus not having a home button. Oh and I found a whole Cooler Master Mystique Case https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-mystique-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119129

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

A few months back I found a old dell inspiron 530s I got it for 25 dollars. I plan on making into a xp gaming rig or something along those lines. It has a intel core 2 duo E4500 and 4gbs of ddr2 and a Radeon hd4350 gpu.

2 minutes ago, OutLox said:

A few months back I found a old dell inspiron 530s I got it for 25 dollars. I plan on making into a xp gaming rig or something along those lines. It has a intel core 2 duo E4500 and 4gbs of ddr2 and a Radeon hd4350 gpu.

Please do keep us updated on that! I'm all kinds of interested!

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

I haven't been to a thrift shop in forever, but I have definitely stumbled across some cool old tech.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Found a couple typewriters once.

Nothing else really noteworthy, though.

I see a ton of like the old electric typewriters that I swear I'm gonna end up impulse buying one day

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

1 minute ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

I see a ton of like the old electric typewriters that I swear I'm gonna end up impulse buying one day

I definitely thought about it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

months back I found a old Dell Studio XPS 8100 at my local Thrift/Charity store - I picked it up and it rattled...showed the Salesman and he said "yeah I knew there was something wrong with it - you can have it cheap" I got it for $AU 5.00.  The case itself looked OK tho it was a bit yellowed in spots...

Took it home, opened it up, found the rattling was caused by the ram modules all laying loosely on the floor of the tower. It had a intel core i5 650 and 4 x 2 gb of ddr3 ram, a 500 gb WD Blue HDD and an nVidia GTS 240 graphics card. Plugged it in after visually checking everything and it booted up with an error message about no Operating System.

Straight to my drawer, dig out the Windows 10 USB install thumbdrive, and away we go...installed and updated; benchtested and stress tested...turned out to be a great buy...worth every penny!! LOL!!

A fully upgraded G5 mac (the cheese grater one) with twin CPUs

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Ok, so this prob won't be what people consider a good find (and I also didn't find it), but someone posted that they found a Macintosh TV (a computer which only has 10,000 made) in the local Goodwill computer works. This was before I collected vintage apple computers, but still a good find. I also found another macintosh tv. But anyways, There isn't any decent computer parts that are reasonably priced in thrift stores in my area, at least from my experience.

A Honeywell ring full size style air purifier.  It was horribly clogged.  I threw out the entire filter set and hosed it down.  I don’t remember what it cost but it was less than $20

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

...nothing, really. Most of the thrift stores where I live are kinda shit, to the extent that even the VHS tapes here aren't very interesting. 

If it's relevant, I did manage to get an old ThinkPad off my old band teacher for free because he was getting rid of it anyways, so that's a consolation prize and a half.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

fully modded xbox 360 filled with almost entire library of game for each emulator, I saw a little screen in the front thought it would be some sort of temperature or rpm meter or something but it was a modchip

12 hours ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

So this one could be fun. What is the coolest, oddest, or weirdest tech you've ever found at a thrift store or second hand shop? 

The best thing I'd think I've gotten from the Thrift shopping was either my Logitech C910 that I paid 4.00 for, and compared to the like sale price on Amazon and Ebay, I think I got a good deal. I also ended up with a Huion drawing tablet CiB, still worked and everything. Then it's long gone but I once upon a time had a USB PS2 controller adapter that supported 2 controllers and worked on both PC and at the time PS3 minus not having a home button. Oh and I found a whole Cooler Master Mystique Case https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-mystique-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119129

giant hanging millennium falcon from a walmart advertising thing in the 80's

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

A working Nintendo Gameboy dmg-01 with Tetris and Super Mario for approx $3 / 20 DKK

A working Original Xbox with 2 games and one controller for approx $22 / 150 DKK

Not directly a thrift shop, but years ago (by years ago, I mean around the time when the original fat boy DS was launched) I managed to snag one of those Pokemon limited edition Gameboy Color's from a pawn shop for $15, I picked up Pokemon Red (what I originally went in looking for) with it for another $5.

Sadly, the Gameboy bit the dust a couple years later, but that Pokemon Red is still going strong. Actually just gave it another playthrough probably a year or so ago on my old SP.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

recently a working xbox 360 and the OG xbox

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Couple old computers, Gameboy colour with a few games, Gameboy Advance SP with Pokemon Sapphire, and an iMac G3

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

If we count stuff just from thrift stores its not much. A couple OK routers, some cables. My best find might be the LP player, amp, cassette deck and CD player stack i got for €50? If we count stuff i got while working at the recycling plant? IBM PS/2 for free

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Oh I forgot my best friend also found me one of those old LCD PlayStation 1 Screens, brand new in the box, still had the plastic on the screen and everything.

It didn't come with a PSOne which is unfortunate because while I know that it powers on and it works, I've got the PlayStation One version of the PS1, and it was made to fit the slim.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playstation-1-Psone-Ps1-Combo-with-5-inch-LCD-Screen-SCPH-101-SCPH-131/254438700895?hash=item3b3dba775f:g:kigAAOSw9tFd4p88

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

My best one was a full sized mechanical Ducky keyboard with NX Browns for 5€, sadly it's US layout, but it's good enough for the office. (Nordic layout is the one I would've loved though)

no idea what to put here

On 12/17/2019 at 10:38 AM, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

Hp z400 2.1ghz with boost 6c12thr l5639. Runs faster than msi x58 boards. Unfortunately it's proprietary.  I was able to figure out what the previous owner put the ram in wrong. Just had to move a stick to another slot.  Got it for 10 bucks.

On 12/17/2019 at 9:38 AM, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

What is the coolest, oddest, or weirdest tech you've ever found at a thrift store or second hand shop? 

from inside the store or the back of the store where the drop-off is or the shit the store doesnt/cant sell.

i ask because i see people all the time scouring the dumpster behind the thrift stores.

i only got a fancy sony clock for 2.00 it has digital preset radio, 2 alarm clocks, large massive clock digits, ipod compatible, background to whatever you want.

A place I use to work does a bi-annual sell on items they receive from vendors and are normally new in box or were only used as a display (used to do a product mockup for placement). Anyways since they can not sell these in a store they let employees buy them for a discount and all the money goes to a charity.

Well my first one ever I found a 1950x which was marked as a 1920 (on the bid sticker). They had it as $350. I offered them 300 and they took it. I literally turned around and sold it to a friend for $500 that used it in his build.

Now mind you this was the year it released. I think they went for 1k new.

Also got a 65" Samsung quantum dot 4k tv for 750 which was an 1800ish dollar tv