What do you think about the new XBOX Series X?

steelo
5 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If it ends up costing the consumer something like $700+, sure I'll be surprised, but that's not what I'm going to bet on.

It all depends on what it's capable of. If we're looking at the same 4K/24-30 in most of its games, no reason for anyone to pay any price over the price of an Xbox One X because an Xbox One X already does that. If we're looking at 4K/54-60 in most of its games, the price will most likely be $100 more than whatever the price Xbox One X released at. If achieving 90+ fps in 1440p is something this new console can achieve, if it's not in 4K, people just won't care to buy it.

7 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

If we're looking at 4K/54-60 in most of its games, the price will most likely be $100 more than whatever the price Xbox One X released at.

By that logic, we should've been paying something like $800+ for the 8th generation consoles.

8 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

By that logic, we should've been paying something like $800+ for the 8th generation consoles.

It's just my opinion. My logic is and always will be pretty whack. If it ain't 4K/90+, PC will remain the master race. And console peasants, will continue to buy console, after console. All of which eventually, collect dust within a matter of months of buying them.

Personally, I highly doubt the new consoles will hit 4K/90+ across all games.   At most, probably a good 1080p with higher frame rate when played at that res and certain select games with dynamic resolution on higher resolution screens (or, in the case of some games, given the option to select what the user wants the focus to be more on fps or eye candy).  2D and less resource intensive games can probably be render out at 4K with good fps.  Especially turn base RPG games, which don't necessarily need high fps to enjoy.

I will be waiting out for reviews and see what else gets announced for the upcoming console.  Hopefully some official specs get released some time this upcoming year.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Personally, I highly doubt the new consoles will hit 4K/90+ across all games.   At most, probably a good 1080p with higher frame rate when played at that res and certain select games with dynamic resolution on higher resolution screens (or, in the case of some games, given the option to select what the user wants the focus to be more on fps or eye candy).  2D and less resource intensive games can probably be render out at 4K with good fps.  Especially turn base RPG games, which don't necessarily need high fps to enjoy.

I will be waiting out for reviews and see what else gets announced for the upcoming console.  Hopefully some official specs get released some time this upcoming year.

It’ll be out in a few days and then we’ll know one way or the other.  If it’s as powerful as a 580 it should have the capacity to do it.  A 580 is 60% better than a 970 which would already do it.

im looking forward to benchmarks and tear downs of the thing

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

43 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

im looking forward to benchmarks and tear downs of the thing

Same.  I look forward to those.

I do own a Xbox One S and X and been fairly pleased with both.  Hopefully the next gen consoles bring more to the table.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

the new xbox one serries x looks like batman took a corsair one and beefed it up with a disc drive

23 minutes ago, miku126 said:

the new xbox one serries x looks like batman took a corsair one and beefed it up with a disc drive

Caused me to find out what a Corsair 1 is.  That’s one compact machine.  It looks to me right now more like beefed down.  Possibly way down, though the HD is likely going to be faster.

well find out soon though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 12/18/2019 at 7:34 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

The Xbox 360 out the gate could do things PCs were capable of doing if they had a ~$400 video card.

Right, and that changes nothing I said. The consoles have had "better" hardware for money, at launch, but not so far as to have $2000+ in equivalent PC components, or $1000+ GPUs  being sold at $400 console price. The comment I was replaying to is expecting the consoles to compete at the very high end but be $400.

While consoles had better "value" at launch, PCs were always superior at the high end, because the components were more capable, and much more expensive.

9 minutes ago, Ertman said:

While consoles had better "value" at launch, PCs were always superior at the high end, because the components were more capable, and munch more expensive

Basically PCs have a much, much higher performance ceiling that scales with how much money you have. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I like the design a lot. I think Its a good change over the last generation to differentiate it. What that said, I'll probably never buy one. My Xbox One barely gets touched and when I play anything on consoles, its on my PS4.

I think it's starting to blur the lines on PC's performance superiority in the $1,200 and under range. Video card prices are slowly pricing PC gaming out of being even close to competitive on the performance front. 10 years ago you could spend 500 bucks and outperform a console easily, now you need to drop about 1,000 just to break even.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

10 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

I think it's starting to blur the lines on PC's performance superiority in the $1,200 and under range. Video card prices are slowly pricing PC gaming out of being even close to competitive on the performance front. 10 years ago you could spend 500 bucks and outperform a console easily, now you need to drop about 1,000 just to break even.

If we're talking literally 10 years ago, then sure. That generation was in the middle of its life. Take it back another four years and you really couldn't do such with just $500.

On 12/19/2019 at 5:16 PM, Intransigent said:

It all depends on what it's capable of. If we're looking at the same 4K/24-30 in most of its games, no reason for anyone to pay any price over the price of an Xbox One X because an Xbox One X already does that. If we're looking at 4K/54-60 in most of its games, the price will most likely be $100 more than whatever the price Xbox One X released at. If achieving 90+ fps in 1440p is something this new console can achieve, if it's not in 4K, people just won't care to buy it.

I think it's pretty clear consumers don't want to spend more than 400-500...

While it's true it would make sense to pay more for a semi beefy "mini PC" I really don't believe manufacturers will risk it.

I rather think they could go back to substitute the consoles,  that has always worked, it just didn't that one time with the PS3  because the balance just wasn't there... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity