Linus tech tips YouTube videos

ahadley1124

I am wondering if it were possible to use a Linus tech tips video from YouTube and put different music to it and use it for my own channel without monetization?

4 minutes ago, ahadley1124 said:

I am wondering if it were possible to use a video from YouTube and put different music to it and use it for my own channel without monetization?

uhm... no! Thats still stolen content

Why would you do that?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Depends on how transformative it is, as at that point you could argue fair use.

But that is only something you can argue in court, so the original poster of the video can still make a copyright claim on YouTube.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@LinusTech look at this dude..

With or without monetization, you're still taking other peoples content and using it as your own, I don't think LMG would like that.

You could just create a playlist with the videos, which would be curated by your channel. That is about the only acceptable method.

22 minutes ago, ahadley1124 said:

I am wondering if it were possible to use a video from YouTube and put different music to it and use it for my own channel without monetization?

Is it possible? Yes. Should you? Absolutely not. Not only is the legal aspect a large, flashing beacon of "NOPE", you have to question why anyone would watch videos on your channel that they could get direct from the source.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

I’m not actually using it for my channel just for a project in our video production class that we have to use a video from a famous youtuber and put our own music and captions on the video. It will be posted to YouTube for our teacher to grade it.

4 minutes ago, ahadley1124 said:

I’m not actually using it for my channel just for a project in our video production class that we have to use a video from a famous youtuber and put our own music and captions on the video. It will be posted to YouTube for our teacher to grade it.

You better educate your teacher about copyright rules then. Can't you give it with USB? You would need to ask this directly from member of LMG. So with PM or via Twitter. Forums are not that good place as you need to have good luck to get fast answer. This goes to everyone who wants to use another creators video without having trouble about it afterwards.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

55 minutes ago, minibois said:

Depends on how transformative it is, as at that point you could argue fair use.

But that is only something you can argue in court, so the original poster of the video can still make a copyright claim on YouTube.

Agree. If you just take a video and swap music or something it's not really transformative but if you make other changes then it can fall into that category.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

14 minutes ago, ahadley1124 said:

In that case you could claim fair use under educational purposes. But that still is something you would have to fight for in court, as the original video creator can still claim copyright.

Of course the video creator can just not care about it, but that is just banking on someone not noticing it.

If you have to do this for a video production class, your teacher should know better. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I would recommend against that. Unless you are creating or adding onto the content you could get in trouble. If you where to do voiceover and edit the videos and add information to the video or use snippets to create a meme as an example then you would be more in the green. If you where to take an entire video and just put music with it that could fall under theft as you are not adding anything and just playing music which you might also not own over a video you do not own. Please read up on how copywrite works with videos/movies/music and you will answer your own question and create a great channel once you know what can and cannot be done. 

I was going to put my own comments in the video and add music

8 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

@LinusTech look at this dude..

wow, just wow!

amazing

7 hours ago, Tilaron said:

Or he could just leave it unlisted and give the URL to his teacher. Relax, folks!

could do a million things, could hand out usb sticks with the video on it

teachers all the time will photocopy books, that is breaking law(s)

4 hours ago, amdorintel said:

wow, just wow!

amazing

could do a million things, could hand out usb sticks with the video on it

Welp, better call the police, we're all doomed.

5 hours ago, amdorintel said:

Talking out of your ass again, huh?

Tell me, what law is a teacher breaking when they photocopy a diagram, for example, to use in a PowerPoint from a book that the school bought?

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

Talking out of your ass again, huh?

Tell me, what law is a teacher breaking when they photocopy a diagram, for example, to use in a PowerPoint from a book that the school bought?

copyright law, when handing it out to students

Yep even when not charging for it if you photocopy and distribute said copies of a copyrighted work its certainly breaking the law

1 minute ago, amdorintel said:

copyright law, when handing it out to students

1 minute ago, Ravendarat said:

Yep even when not charging for it if you photocopy and distribute said copies of a copyrighted work its certainly breaking the law

Falls under fair use for educational purposes, the teachers aren't breaking the law.

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Falls under fair use for educational purposes, the teachers aren't breaking the law.

After I made my post I realized Im stupid and forgot about that lol. I was on my way back to edit/delete my post but you already got it lol. So I guess ill just leave my mistake intact

3 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

After I made my post I realized Im stupid and forgot about that lol. I was on my way back to edit/delete my post but you already got it lol. So I guess ill just leave my mistake intact

It's all good, don't worry about it.

first search query had this

No more than a single photocopy should be produced, for the personal use of the person doing the copying. Multiple copying (e.g. by teachers for students) is not permitted under “fair dealing” for private study or research

8 hours ago, amdorintel said:

first search query had this

Which is why books intended for education have disclaimer to exclude such. I don't know about US, but its in every school book I've seen here.

Anyway, asking directly from creator is way to go. Posting on their community forums isn't. I've sent email to website owner back in the day and asked if I can use their images in school paper. I saved that email for long time because it was cool that highschooler from small town in Finland gets reply from member of USMC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

we used to do this in video production 101. the submission was via USB and it gets deleted after presentation and grading

if the teacher allowed for delivery via a public video host, that might cause legal issues ._. (or/and it could attract the strike-happy youtube AI)

Not much legal risk. At worse they strike the video and then its over.

They can also do it unlisted.

But to OP. Personally i would just do it. Your not doing it for monetary gains or to cause harm. Do it unlisted and nobody will even know.

Its like if you take a pic off google images for a school project. You dont need to bother trying to contact the creator. Just use it.

Its a school project. Just cite your sources and you are good.

geez ppl come down. The kid is asking to make a compliation type video which is transformative work. There are plenty videos like that out there if just for the meme edits. I also highly doubt LMG will be a pain in the butt about this kind of video.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

It should be "fine" if it really is for educational purpose...
But you really should just leave it unlisted and give the URL to the teacher. 
Having it listed will just get you into copyright trouble because even if it's "fair use" for education, which lets be fair, even if you changed the music and caption... it's not really that transformative as the core primary content itself is still LTT's video with their voices and what not, no one will be watching that video for your music, unlike things like lets play which the game is shown predominately but you're usually there for the creator talking over it... Meaning they could just copyright strike you for it.
Not to mention that any extra views on your video that isn't from your teacher, is basically one fewer view for the original video.
Hence why you should leave it unlisted if you really do this and educate your teacher on the whole copyright thing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro