Plundervolt - Another Intel Vulnerability

Pickles von Brine

Plundervault, as the attack has been dubbed, starts with the assumption that an attacker is able to run privileged software on a targeted computer. While that's a lofty prerequisite, it's precisely the scenario Intel's SGX feature is designed to protect against. The chipmaker bills SGX as a private region that uses hardware-based memory encryption to isolate sensitive computations and data from malicious processes that run with high privilege levels. Intel goes as far as saying that "Only Intel SGX offers such a granular level of control and protection."

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/12/scientists-pluck-crypto-keys-from-intels-sgx-by-tweaking-cpu-voltage/

This one is rather interesting. It requires some setup, high prerequisites but nonetheless nasty. 

Edited by Lord Xeb
Spelled the name of the exploit wrong.

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

This awfully reminds me of RGH in Xbox360. Just using voltages to crash the process, instead of slowing down core speed.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

So software level voltage is no more (nobody did this anyway) and for now it needs to be local, and needs admin privileges.

Only concern is if the microcode reduces performance really....and if it's local only it's no big deal and not worth updating

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

So software level voltage is no more (nobody did this anyway) 

I think overclockers and related might be about the only use case to do this in software, as opposed the more tedious process of doing it through bios. Not a great loss if that is the case, but certainly an annoyance.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, porina said:

I think overclockers and related might be about the only use case to do this in software, as opposed the more tedious process of doing it through bios. Not a great loss if that is the case, but certainly an annoyance.

Maybe I'm just oblivious about software CPU overclocking; most people I talk to and myself just use BIOS to do everything.

GPU on the other hand software yes of course.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Maybe I'm just oblivious about software CPU overclocking; most people I talk to and myself just use BIOS to do everything.

With CPUs getting more complicated, it is "nice" to be able to change voltages if trying to balance clocks and temps at the same time. Having to reboot for every change is a pain. It might be more of an issue for competitive overclocking than someone finding a 24/7 OC setting, where in the latter case you might just go overkill on cooling, pick a fixed voltage and play with clock a bit.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

33 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Only concern is if the microcode reduces performance really....and if it's local only it's no big deal and not worth updating

The microcode update locks the voltage of the CPU to default values while doing anything related to SGX. The only way this would reduce performance is if the voltage level is high enough to cause thermal concerns. Also most users don't have SGX enabled anyway, so this won't affect anyone but servers and data centers.

17 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

So software level voltage is no more (nobody did this anyway) and for now it needs to be local, and needs admin privileges.

Us laptop throttlestop users need it! :(

6 minutes ago, TheUberMedic said:

Us laptop throttlestop users need it! :(

:(

you're also at the greatest risk for local access due to the portable nature of your system and ease of theft and foul play

So are the MSRs actually loaded during boot, and therefore BIOS changes can still affect CPU voltage, or does the firmware update instruct the processor to ignore any writes to the affected registers?

Or in other words, if an overclocker were using SGX, would BIOS voltage changes still be useful? 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

12 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

:(

you're also at the greatest risk for local access due to the portable nature of your system and ease of theft and foul play

Who needs to break CPU security when they've walked away with the entire machine?

2 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Who needs to break CPU security when they've walked away with the entire machine?

Put some shit in there and give it back to you and let you use it without knowing it's been compromised

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

Put some shit in there and give it back to you and let you use it without knowing it's been compromised

Again, why is a CPU issue relevant? At that point a keylogger and RAT are much more useful.

24 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Again, why is a CPU issue relevant? At that point a keylogger and RAT are much more useful.

Well, just saying that if anyone is vulnerable to a local-only exploit, it's more likely to be a mobile system than one that's say, in your house.

The fact there's better ways to skin a cat is just more evidence this whole issue is overblown.

2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Those are easier to detect than something like this that would require you to interface with Intel SGX to figure out something was wrong.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:03 AM, Mira Yurizaki said:

The microcode update locks the voltage of the CPU to default values while doing anything related to SGX. The only way this would reduce performance is if the voltage level is high enough to cause thermal concerns. Also most users don't have SGX enabled anyway, so this won't affect anyone but servers and data centers.

Most systems at the office have SGX set to "software controlled" which is basically "Off until asked" since no software appears to turn it on. So yeah, I doubt anyone is actually using SGX in any significant production environment. Only some software like software Blueray players apparently even try to use it.

On 12/11/2019 at 4:50 PM, Lord Xeb said:

starts with the assumption that an attacker is able to run privileged software on a targeted computer.

AKA it's completely useless.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 12/11/2019 at 6:03 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

The microcode update locks the voltage of the CPU to default values while doing anything related to SGX.

Well that has the potential to totally crash a heavily overclocked CPU. Like my 4670k that needs about 1.38V to maintain 4.5 GHz.....

9 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you're using SGX, you probably shouldn't be overclocking the CPU anyway. :3

I dont intend to. But if one of the programs start to use it suddenly it can happen....

20 hours ago, Sauron said:

AKA it's completely useless.

On 12/12/2019 at 5:01 PM, Plutosaurus said:

Well, just saying that if anyone is vulnerable to a local-only exploit, it's more likely to be a mobile system than one that's say, in your house.

The fact there's better ways to skin a cat is just more evidence this whole issue is overblown.

normally id agree but apparently the point of the SGX system is to offer protection when your computer is already compromised

What Is Intel® SGX?

There is tremendous opportunity for application and solution developers to take charge of their data security using new hardware-based controls for cloud and enterprise environments. Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)1 2 offers hardware-based memory encryption that isolates specific application code and data in memory. Intel® SGX allows user-level code to allocate private regions of memory, called enclaves, which are designed to be protected from processes running at higher privilege levels. Only Intel® SGX offers such a granular level of control and protection. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/software-guard-extensions.html

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

normally id agree but apparently the point of the SGX system is to offer protection when your computer is already compromised

Sure, of course it's technically a flaw and should be patched - but in the vast majority of cases, if the attacker has privileged access to your machine it's over. This only applies if you have a program that deliberately uses this feature in the first place and only if sensitive information is completely relegated to that program.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*