PC Building Survey

loganrp

PC Building Survey  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever built your own computer? (Yes or No)

• Yes
    • No

Hey guys,

I've been assigned a project for my college Statistics class where I have to create a 'yes or no' question and collect the results from it and utilize those results to make interpretations using the mathematical calculations we've learned throughout the course. This post may look familiar as I posted earlier a similar poll, only to realize the responses must be 'yes or no'. I know this is a broad poll, but if you would please take the time to vote if you've ever built your own computer, I would appreciate it much! 

Side note, if you answered yes, I'd love if you would comment the specs of your rig just to satisfy my own curiosity and to spark conversation.

Not sure if this is the right platform for this type of question

Wouldn't a more neutral population be more appropriate?

To satisfy you though:

I have a 3600, Tomahawk max, 32gb memory, gtx 1080 and G2 psu

Built plenty of other systems though too.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Is this forum just becoming a platform to collect data..?

Yeah, I have built my own PC. I have also built PC's for other people.

My PC in exact parts is listed in my signature, it's Ryzen 7 1700 + RX 580 build, now upgraded to an RTX 2070 Super. Also built an Ryzen 5 2400G APU build and a Ryzen 5 3600 + my old RX 580 system for a family member.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

ngl a lot of people here look down on prebuilts

Pumas.EXE has stopped responding...

• CPU
    RYZEN 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    ASROCK B450 PRO 4
  • RAM
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • GPU
    PowerColor RX 5700
  • Case
    Corsair Carbide 275r
  • Storage
    intel 660p 512 GB
  • PSU
    PowerSpec PS650BSM

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Not sure if this is the right platform for this type of question

Wouldn't a more neutral population be more appropriate?

To satisfy you though:

I have a 3600, Tomahawk max, 32gb memory, gtx 1080 and G2 psu

Built plenty of other systems though too.

It would be but for the sake of this project, I'm not too worried. Just need to get it down on paper ?

3 minutes ago, loganrp said:

It would be but for the sake of this project, I'm not too worried. Just need to get it down on paper ?

Fair enough

If you need more input, post a poll on r/SampleSize

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I've built hundreds of systems for other people (it was, after all, my job at the time) and a bunch for myself.

These days I use a prebuilt twin xeon dell workstation (because I got it for cheap and I didn't fell like going through the hassle of building my own system again)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

This is probably the wrong site for this, most people here will be enthusiasts who have built their own PCs, despite that being an incredibly small proportion of the global PC-using population.. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

Ryzen 7 1700 @3.675Ghz 16gb of ram@2800mhz Msi gtx 1070 gaming x 

I've built all of my (desktop) computers, first one being a 486 :P Right now I have an ASUS P8Z77-V LX, i5-3570K, 16 GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro 8G

Let's see if I'll finally replace it next year.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I sure hope your interpretations mention what selection bias is, and why this particular survey is completely useless :D

Anyways, I'm currently rocking a 3900X in an msi x570 ace, with a 2080Ti (msi gaming x trio) and 32gb of ram. This whole build is above my means and a complete waste of money, but I can't say I regret it tbh

I built mine with the experience I got from messing around with old Pentium 4 desktops. 

Asrock A320M HDV R4.0 Motherboard

Ryzen 3 2200G

1x8 8gb Corsair LPX Ram (Will get another stick in future)

Vega 8 iGPU

The issue with using a forum like LTT for asking if users build their own pc's is that you are not getting random people from all aspects. You are looking at a sample of people which would be strange information unless you are specifically looking at users on the LTT forums. I do not pretend to know what your full study is on, would you be able to clarify if the votes are for users only in the PC community for LTT?

PC is on my account, 8700k, 32GB, 1080 etc...

53 minutes ago, loganrp said:

If I was your professor I'd throw this survey out the window. It's not diverse, you're coming to a PC building/ Enthusiast site and asking how many of us build our computers. You need to ask a more random forum like on reddit or somewhere. I would instantly question it when you explained that out of the 21 people you asked 19 built their own, it's not that common, if you were to ask random people on the street or a reddit forum for polls, you'd probably get the exact opposite of the results you get on here. With 2 of the 21 building their own.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

12 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If I was your professor I'd throw this survey out the window. It's not diverse, you're coming to a PC building/ Enthusiast site and asking how many of us build our computers. You need to ask a more random forum like on reddit or somewhere. I would instantly question it when you explained that out of the 21 people you asked 19 built their own, it's not that common, if you were to ask random people on the street or a reddit forum for polls, you'd probably get the exact opposite of the results you get on here. With 2 of the 21 building their own.

I agree, the only redeeming factor might be that the survey itself doesn't have to be realistic or representative, just contain a bunch of strangers answering a yes/no question. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Built my own since no pre-builts met my needs.

As of this comment, I have an i5-8600K cooled by a Deepcool Neptwin White, 16GB of RAM at 3000MHz, an Asus GTX 1060 3GB, Asus Prime Z370-P motherboard, 500 Crucial P1 NVME + 240GB Crucial BX500, a Corsair CX450M, and all inside the NZXT S340 in white.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

6 hours ago, loganrp said:

Hey guys,

I've been assigned a project for my college Statistics class where I have to create a 'yes or no' question and collect the results from it and utilize those results to make interpretations using the mathematical calculations we've learned throughout the course. This post may look familiar as I posted earlier a similar poll, only to realize the responses must be 'yes or no'. I know this is a broad poll, but if you would please take the time to vote if you've ever built your own computer, I would appreciate it much! 

Side note, if you answered yes, I'd love if you would comment the specs of your rig just to satisfy my own curiosity and to spark conversation.

People often put rig specs in their sigs here so there may be a lot more than you’re seeing from posts.  I didn’t partially because mine are in flux (hopefully) I joined up because my rig is very old and I have been out of the loop for a long time and needed to get my knowledge current so I could make good decisions on what for me will be a very major purchase.

current rig:

i7 4770k@4.0

asus z97extreme4 mobo 

16gb 1333ghz ddr3

gtx970 gpu

crossover 30q5 pro monitor 2640x1600@ up to 144hz (which I’ve never actually seen)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 hours ago, loganrp said:

Hey guys,

Haven’t built one yet, building one on Christmas Day though!

Specs;

2700x

Tomahawk Max

32gb 3000MHz RAM

H510

RMx 550w

Does disassembling/reassembling other peoples' PCs count? ??

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

when I get home I'm gonna build mine... so excited!!!! you guys on the forum helped me with what parts I should choose and other stuff so thank you ?

You picked one of the worst places to get a diverse answer to your question tbh.

Unless the teacher wants proof of your poll just make it up and right the paper based on whatever results you pick.

built all of my pcs over the years, from the start , 1st one was a pentium pro 180 based system :D tried installing redhat linux 2.1 from memory ...

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 8GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Stock Ryzen 5 Cooler
    4 120mm Rosewill Case fans
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

On 12/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, loganrp said:

Hey guys,

I've alternated between things so :

The present PC is an i7-4770, 32GB DDR3 on a AsRock Z87, Geforce 1080, Crucial CT500MX200 SSD, and some other things (eg there's 6 hard drives and two optical drives, a SA7160 FPGA capture card and a Sound Blaster X-Fi) , The Geforce 1080 required a newer case because the ASUS card was too long without removing the entire 3.5" drive cage.

The immediately previous PC was originally a Xeon 3220, but the CPU would keep failing so it got replaced with an C2D part, it had the maximum DDR2 memory available which I believe was 8GB at the time. Some of the hard drives, and the optical drives and chasis were reused for the PC above.

Due to how unreliable external hard drives are, when an external chassis fails, I pull the drive and put it inside the desktop. The present desktop has one hard drive that came from a external drive (the 2TB drive). The internal drives are presently a 6TB Segate, 2TB Wd and 6TB WD and the Crucial SSD. The external drives are a WD parts as well 3 and 4TB drives, which the serials indicate they are WD green's. The internal Desktop drives are WD Black's and a Segate Barracuda Pro.

When upgrading a system, I replace parts incrementally. In the case of the above 2 and a half systems (the X3220 had most parts replaced at some point, utterly cursed.) At present only the DVD-ROM is actually a part from the original system. Even the primary monitor I had for that one got retired. The secondary monitor was also replaced much earlier because it (proview) blew up.

I have Mac Mini's and two Laptops over the same time frame from 2004 to present. The mini's were more of a backup system than a primary use system. The first laptop was a primary use device when I was moving around, and I moved three times before I built the desktop in the second paragraph. Up to that point, the last PC I built as a PIII, when the laptop was a P4. I did buy a open-box P4 desktop from Futureshop (BestBuy) before the laptop. 

Overall, my recommendation really is that you're better off buying a pre-built system if it does EVERYTHING you want it to do out of the box, otherwise you're going to throw half of it away, thus wasting money. If you're buying a gift for someone, don't build it yourself, because you want the warranty on the entire-machine to apply in case they have to get it repaired. If you build a system for your friends/family, you're going to be the one supporting it.

I plan to build a new system at some point soon, but am kinda waiting on DDR5/PCIe5 news.