Canadian fined $35,000 for hurting feelings *Update, Jokes won.

JZStudios
1 hour ago, RonnieOP said:

No i havent.

It wasnt fun when i spent 23 months in prison. But its not offensive to me when my buddies make jokes about dropping the soap. 

It wasnt fun when my wife was in a coma after a car wreck. But i can still make jokes to her about her big boobs being the thing that saved her life.

Because they are jokes. 

If you cant take a joke thats a you problem. 

I thought you were going to say her big boobs kept you from pulling the plug. Which would be valid.

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

Okay. Everyone in my group of friends told me to kill myself on a near daily basis. My sister tried to castrate me, my family has told me to kill myself as well. Boo Hoo.

One of my buddies got in fist fights with his dad, and he had one of his front teeth completely shattered.

I don't give a shit about "Someone said some mean things" when there's far worse realities where people weren't coddled and they still came out fine. Oh no, someone made a gay joke...

Sounds like you had an awful upbringing and an awful group of "friends".

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I thought you were going to say her big boobs kept you from pulling the plug. Which would be valid.

And i could make that joke and she would be fine with it....because its a joke lol.

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

Sounds like you had an awful upbringing and an awful group of "friends".

That's your opinion. It's ironic that the vast majority of inspirational stories are from people who had everything stacked against them and they did what they wanted and beat the odds anyways.

Meanwhile, people are now so coddled there's safe spaces and special bathrooms being installed in businesses and I just can't figure why anyone would do anything if they can just sit on their ass and have everything given to them while people praise them for being different. I don't care if you think you're a water buffalo, but I don't accept that. You're not a water buffalo, you're just crazy.

#Muricaparrotgang

22 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

And i could make that joke and she would be fine with it....because its a joke lol.

Well, the thing is humor is subjective. Not everyone's gonna find a New Yorker in his mid-30s saying "spin" in a weird voice peak comedy, but I do. Similarly, not everyone's gonna find you joking about your wife's boobs hilarious. I've also had people tell me not to put myself down when I joke about how much of a walking southern Massachusetts stereotype I am; I do love me some self-deprecating humor, especially when I use it against myself. It ain't everyone's cuppa Del's tho.

Wait, is that too region-specific?

20 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I don't care if you think you're a water buffalo, but I don't accept that. You're not a water buffalo, you're just crazy.

I'm a fox! Can't you tell from my avatar? :P 

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

No. I thought it was a My Little Pony thing.

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

No. I thought it was a My Little Pony thing.

That was a long time ago in a forum not so far away.

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

That was a long time ago in a forum not so far away.

Shocker.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Shocker.

2012 - 2014

Rest in peace

2 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Yes its still a joke.

You dont even have to say its a joke for it to be a joke. Its asinine to assume that anything said in a comedy act is not a joke.

Now you can say its a bad joke. But its still a joke.

I don't think the court quite put it that way.

41 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Well, the thing is humor is subjective. Not everyone's gonna find a New Yorker in his mid-30s saying "spin" in a weird voice peak comedy, but I do. Similarly, not everyone's gonna find you joking about your wife's boobs hilarious. I've also had people tell me not to put myself down when I joke about how much of a walking southern Massachusetts stereotype I am; I do love me some self-deprecating humor, especially when I use it against myself. It ain't everyone's cuppa Del's tho.

Wait, is that too region-specific?

No body says you have to like the jokes made.

What i am saying is they are jokes.

I make jokes about everyone. Idc if your gay, straight, trans, cis, white, black, etc.

But they are jokes. You cant say im dehumanizing anyone with my jokes just because someone might take it that way. Thats on them. Not me.

You cannot imply intent with a joke unless the person joking tells you their intent. Most the time the jokes intent is to be a joke.

You kinda just proved my point.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

No body says you have to like the jokes made.

What i am saying is they are jokes.

I make jokes about everyone. Idc if your gay, straight, trans, cis, white, black, etc.

But they are jokes. You cant say im dehumanizing anyone with my jokes just because someone might take it that way. Thats on them. Not me.

You cannot imply intent with a joke unless the person joking tells you their intent. Most the time the jokes intent is to be a joke.

You kinda just proved my point.

For some reason I only appreciate jokes about myself if I myself make them about me. Anyway, enough about me.

4 minutes ago, floofer said:

I don't think the court quite put it that way.

That court is a joke tbh. I have no respect for that court or anyone defending them.

Just now, Nowak said:

For some reason I only appreciate jokes about myself if I myself make them about me. Anyway, enough about me.

And thats fine. As long as you realize thats a personal thing. 

I don't know how it works in Canada but in America freedom of speech protects you from being arrested and put into jail over what you say. It doesn't protect you from being sued civilly.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

14 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Stop it.

Stop responding. Like, at all.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The comedian was charged with infringing his right to freedom of expression. Read the article. There was never any defamation claim in the article or court case.

There was never a defamation claim, nor charges of damages to be reimbursed, just an infringement of his right to freedom of expression. Which makes no sense. No one ever claimed he had lost privileges or had any amount of financial harm done. I have no idea what point you think you're trying to make with the rest of that argument.

In defamation cases if you're suing for financial compensation there's some form of record required to ensure that the victim isn't put out, and that includes losing your job. None of that happened in this instance and no financial compensation is necessary.

Your argument about bosses is stupid. You're not entitled to a bonus or a raise, even if it was held back over a tasteless joke. Maybe your boss just finds your shampoo offensive and so he doesn't give you a raise. You didn't "lose" anything financially because you didn't have it to begin with.

I did enjoy the video, not sure what your point with it was. My favorite line was "We're making fun of you and you're smiling, you're already a very bad Preston."

The commedian made a claim "you are a fraud, lol j/k". His rights for equality, means he gets to defend himself against that claim. Thus the court case and fines.

Slightly different law, but it seems a similar "meaning" to defamation/equality etc. Quebec be like "we do it our own way here". But I agree, it needs MASSIVE clarificatoin (perhaps the guy had no deformation laws to fall back on?).

Your argument about bosses is stupid. You're not entitled to a bonus or a raise, even if it was held back over a tasteless joke.

Then, I'll spread whatever I like about you, get you banned from all forums and games, get you to lose your job because "you're not entitled" to any of it by law... except by "equal rights" laws. Right?

8 hours ago, Psybadek said:

I don't know how it works in Canada but in America freedom of speech protects you from being arrested and put into jail over what you say. It doesn't protect you from being sued civilly.

This. People really don't understand the things they think they understand. :(

On 12/4/2019 at 6:36 PM, JZStudios said:

Ward’s jokes make have been tasteless, but does that mean he should have to pay $35,000?

Yes. "Free speech" does not mean you can say literally anything and get away with it. @JZStudios I suppose you have a problem with slander and libel laws as well, oh champion of free speech? Free speech protects you when you criticize or make fun of someone more powerful than you, and it also protects you from being ridiculed for expressing yourself by someone with 1000 times your public outreach. I have no patience for scumbags punching down for a laugh. Making fun of disabled children for their condition isn't "comedy", it's bullying. And by the way, this isn't just a layman's opinion - try asking George Carlin, the one guy who always gets brought up when defending "edgy humor".

On 12/5/2019 at 1:27 AM, yolosnail said:

You don't actually believe that a horse walked into a bar, and the barman said "Why the long face?", do you?

1) The horse and the barman from that joke aren't real, identifiable people.

2) Comedy has always been a way to make very real points about society and even specific people, denying it is extremely superficial and displays a clear lack of understanding of what comedy is. Yes, surreal and absurd jokes exist, but you'll never see a good comedian ride exclusively on those - and if they do there's usually an underlying metaphor.

On 12/5/2019 at 1:22 AM, Andreas Lilja said:

Judgment is stupid but article doesn't really mention that there was a clear persistence on Jéremy's case.

Also we're talking about the same humorist who thought it was intelligent to make jokes about Cédrika Provencher, a 10-year-old girl who was abducted and murdered.

What's this? Nuance and context? getoutahere, we're just here to whine because you can't be a piece of shit without consequences ?

On 12/5/2019 at 12:52 AM, dalekphalm said:

Freedom of Expression in Canada is fundamentally similar to the US, but there are limits placed on it so that you can't use your rights to violate someone else's rights.

I could be wrong but I think this case would go similarly even in the US since disabled people count as a "protected class" - meaning you're not allowed to discriminate against them due to their disability. I think there's a pretty good case to be made for this being an act of discrimination or at least hate speech.

On 12/5/2019 at 1:15 AM, comander said:

My point that a group has institutionalized its belief structure is still valid though. I'm willing to bet that the people in the majority of Human Rights Committees are non-representative of the general population (or even a subset of the general pop such as those with university degrees or legal backgrounds).

Irrelevant. By that logic you could argue that politicians aren't representative of the population because the majority of the population aren't politicians.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:46 AM, comander said:

The issue that I have is: Is the Human Rights Tribunal an unbiased political body?
My suspicion is that it isn't. http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/hrto/application-and-hearing-process/ (not the same committee but I suspect it's similar)

So you have no idea, and the link you posted is for something in the US, and yet you still try to push the idea that somehow the HRT has some crypto lizard conspiracy agenda to fine mediocre (at best) comedians for making fun of disabled children. Nice. Do you want to check if the members are Jews while you're at it?

On 12/5/2019 at 1:15 AM, comander said:

I am generally against singling out people and making them targets for mob action but the kid who sang essentially waived his anonymity when he chose to make a public performance. I do think that the comedian should have done more due diligence but I don't know if they should be held civilly liable.

Good thing they have a dedicated tribunal to find that out, eh?

On 12/4/2019 at 6:36 PM, JZStudios said:

Nazi Pug Man

Love how these people still try to deny their fascist tendencies. I'm sure the guy who thought it would be funny to have a dog make the nazi salute has some amazing and unbiased insight on this case. But nope, can't call out obvious bias here, it has to be some insane conspiracy within the HRT, even though there's literally no evidence or precedent to assert that - the guy who likes nazi salutes and the dude making fun of disabled children? Nah, they're fine, I'm sure there's NOTHING FISHY HERE.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:55 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

"hurt feelings"

Uh no, hurt feelings are a perfectly valid reason to complain. Psychological bullying can cause real and medically recognized problems, it's not just words. It's not like there's some grand cause the """comedian""" was helping with that """joke""" - it was just cruel for cruelty's sake. I know these people like the "fAcTs DoN't CaRe AbOuT yOuR fEeLiNgS" meme but I defy you to find the "fact" that absolutely needed to be stated here. Even on this very forum, if I called you names for no reasons I would get (rightfully) warned and eventually banned. This isn't a case of me saying "the ryzen 3700x is better than an i9 9900 for 3d rendering" and someone calling for me to get banned because that somehow offends them. It's a case of me calling someone an idiot and that someone reporting me for abusive language.

Also if you're looking for someone who got "offended", try the people here who are reeeeeing their heads off because they can't make fun of disabled children without infringing on their human rights.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:22 AM, Tristerin said:

Ask Google to define Crime and you get the THREE following definitions.  Pay attention to the last one - its worded very specifically as they try to change our freedoms by defining them:

"AN ACTION OR ACTIVITY THAT, ALTHOUGH NOT ILLEGAL, IS CONSIDERED TO BE EVIL, SHAMEFUL, OR WRONG"

Your freedoms aren't taken in large steps, or we revolt.  They are eroded slowly over time so that by the time you notice - they are to far gone to fight back.

capture1123.PNG

LMAO, are you seriously going to take a random dictionary's definition of a word as evidence that "freedoms are getting eroded" by human rights courts? Do you think criminal law is based on dictionary definitions? No wonder you people are so up in arms about this, you have literally no clue what you're talking about. And notice that only the illegal crime definition mentions that it is punishable by law, which would be pretty obvious to anyone giving this more than 2 seconds of rational thought.

Also I love how you're criticizing the use of the word "crime" in the context of fucking apartheid. What's next, are you going to argue the holocaust wasn't a crime against humanity? What about slavery?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 hours ago, JZStudios said:

One of my buddies got in fist fights with his dad, and he had one of his front teeth completely shattered.

So what, are you saying that child abuse should be accepted? It's absolutely incredible to me how people like you say you had a shit life and now will do anything in your power to ensure that everyone else's life is as shit as yours. You should be fighting to prevent it, not act as though it's normal or even laudable.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

LMAO, are you seriously going to take a random dictionary's definition of a word as evidence that "freedoms are getting eroded" by human rights courts? Do you think criminal law is based on dictionary definitions? No wonder you people are so up in arms about this, you have literally no clue what you're talking about. And notice that only the illegal crime definition mentions that it is punishable by law, which would be pretty obvious to anyone giving this more than 2 seconds of rational thought.

Hello, Im a Patriot to my Country that actively participates in fighting to keep our Freedoms from being removed by my Government.  If Canadians don't see it, that's fine.  If you don't see it, that's fine. 

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

Pat Miller, Willfully Ignorant

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Love how these people still try to deny their fascist tendencies.

"Everyone I don't like is literally Hitler". How is the guy who just made an edgy joke to prank his girlfriend a fascist, but the guys that literally want him jailed for a stupid joke not? 

"Fascism is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power"

How is the guy advocating for a smaller government advocating for the government to control everything?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

25 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

"Everyone I don't like is literally Hitler". How is the guy who just made an edgy joke to prank his girlfriend a fascist, but the guys that literally want him jailed for a stupid joke not? 

How is the guy advocating for a smaller government advocating for the government to control everything?

Kinda hypocritical, ain't it?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

57 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I don't recall anyone wanting him jailed, nor did I say they're "literally Hitler", but I guess you can hyperbolize all you want while in the same breath accusing me of hyperbole. Also fascism is not just any form of authoritarianism, nor do you need to be "literally Hitler" to have fascistoid tendencies. That's why I said "fascistoid tendencies" and not "fascism". Which, by the way, is also not quite the same as naziism, but hey, conflate away.

Thinking the nazi salute is funny and then making a career out of whining about people telling you it's not may not make you a nazi, but it sure says something about your leanings. Bullying and making fun of disabled people? Also a distinct trait of fascistoid rethoric. You don't get to frame this as though it was a random isolated incident; it's always the same set of people who are up in arms about things like this, desperate that people don't like it when they make racist jokes or call for "death to all Jews" - but nooo, it's just a prank bruh. It's just a coincidence that every time they can they defend someone for being racist, ableist or absolutely tone deaf while repeating nazi dog whistles as "jokes".

These things are only funny if you somewhat agree with the core message, and the core message here is hate towards vulnerable people. It really doesn't matter if it was "just a joke", and a career "comedian" isn't just having innocent fun with his friends when he tells it before a large audience.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Ahhh yes, the "small government" bullshit. These people have been crying bloody murder when private companies like youtube decided they didn't want to host them, citing the right to free speech - well guess what, that's them asking for government intervention. They say they want a small government, but only when that government would otherwise be prosecuting them for hate or violence. They want a "small government" when you propose to increase welfare but they also want the government to crack down in immigration, and so on. In other words, they lie through their teeth about their own positions to maintain a veil of plausible deniability, which clearly works judging from your reply. It's kind of like me claiming I like corporatism despite the fact that I slam copyright law, monopolies, closed source software and billionaires at every chance I get.

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Hello, Im a Patriot to my Country that actively participates in fighting to keep our Freedoms from being removed by my Government.  If Canadians don't see it, that's fine.  If you don't see it, that's fine. 

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

Pat Miller, Willfully Ignorant

Yeah, you quoting that again doesn't make it an argument in favor of your point. People used this excuse to justify slavery, citing "state rights". Your freedom to own a slave doesn't trump everyone's freedom not to be one. Your freedom to bully disabled people doesn't trump disabled people's freedom not to be bullied for who they are. It seems to me you're the one who wants to erode freedoms here. "Our freedoms are being eroded but you can't see it and I have no tangible evidence that it's happening in the way I said it was" is on the same level of logic as saying there's an invisible, intangible teapot orbiting Earth which you can't observe but trust me it's there.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Thinking the nazi salute is funny and then making a career out of whining about people telling you it's not may not make you a nazi, but it sure says something about your leanings.

No it doesn't, jokes aren't political statements. 

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

it's always the same set of people who are up in arms about things like this

Yes, edgelords and people with dark humor.

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

These things are only funny if you somewhat agree with the core message, and the core message here is hate towards vulnerable people.

Not true, you can find something funny and completely disagree with the core message. I find communist memes hilarious and I couldn't disagree more with the core message.

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Ahhh yes, the "small government" bullshit. These people have been crying bloody murder when private companies like youtube decided they didn't want to host them, citing the right to free speech - well guess what, that's them asking for government intervention. They say they want a small government, but only when that government would otherwise be prosecuting them for hate or violence. They want a "small government" when you propose to increase welfare but they also want the government to crack down in immigration, and so on. In other words, they lie through their teeth about their own positions to maintain a veil of plausible deniability, which clearly works judging from your reply.

Not going to get into that, as it is quite frankly irrelevant to this specific discussion. Advocating for free speech in this case, is advocating for a smaller government. Fascists aren't pro free speech. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

12 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

No it doesn't, jokes aren't political statements. 

Yes they are. Almost every major comedian constantly makes political jokes, because art isn't just entertainment - it's a way of commenting on people and society.

13 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes, edgelords and people with dark humor.

Neither of those require punching down.

14 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Not true, you can find something funny and completely disagree with the core message. I find communist memes hilarious and I couldn't disagree more with the core message.

Memes making fun of communism aren't pushing a communist message, surely you realize that..?

Here's an actual leftist meme

image.thumb.png.11faa157c64820348a98f6b0dc129795.png

somehow I doubt this is what you meant.

22 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Not going to get into that, as it is quite frankly irrelevant to this specific discussion. Advocating for free speech in this case, is advocating for a smaller government. Fascists aren't pro free speech. 

Uhm... you're saying that, say, Mussolini would have been for censoring fascists? Or are you saying he wasn't a fascist because in that one situation he would advocate for his right to say whatever he wanted? They don't give a damn about free speech, they just want to hate on minorities and will say anything to get their way.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*