? Tesla Truck Kinda Edgy Tho - Tesla releases oddly polygonal pickup truck

rcmaehl
24 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Initially I was pretty shocked with the design. But two days later and that last picture, Elon and the truck, just looks insane and I want one even more

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I take this as a statement as “if it war gud ‘nuff  fer me Grampy in 1935 it’s gud ‘nuff fer me.  He’s a hippy!”

Truth be told; once I saw the camper attachments, it actually looks pretty nice:

Tesla-Cybertruck-camp59.thumb.jpg.4ab4b329b80a8d0dc9a827fbe2078bd2.jpg

Someone also did these custom renders:

c3ltp3ezvg041.thumb.jpg.4982feab70efb55132fa6e3c2e052cf1.jpg

Which for some reason, IMO, really brings it all together. 

Give them credit, it's certainly a different design but...It's not a Citroen. Back in the day if you wanted a wildly different car you'd buy a Citroen, just fact (SM for example)...

Image result for Citroen SM

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

And $100 per reservation, how many of those are serious? I bet a large chunk of those are people who coughed up $100 just for internet bragging rights, and have no intention, or the means, to follow through with the purchase.

A lot. This isn't a prized show car and a lot of orders were probably hoping to get an early allotment to flip. I suspect they'll still sell 60k or so in the first run, but that's going to take them probably 2-3 years to fill.  Especially when ~40% of the orders are the real model that runs about 75k.

I do think the real market segment this'll hit is the Urban Shopper demographic. It's a luxury Ute and I could see this being very popular in the comparison to a Porsche Cayenne or any of the other luxury SUVs. Especially in Tesla's only major market in the USA: Southern California. Given their target age range, the DeLorean play is what actually will make this "work". (Tesla Cars pretty much act as an advertisement/supply chain sink for their battery operations, which is what actually matters.)

Now, the spaceship stainless steel might actually be completely necessary because the internal stress of a Tesla makes them try to crumple in on themselves. Which causes a lot of their troubles. I fully suspect that back lid is going to leak constantly and if you damage a tailgate, you'll probably need to wait 3 months to get a replacement. 

1 hour ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Truth be told; once I saw the camper attachments, it actually looks pretty nice:

Tesla-Cybertruck-camp59.thumb.jpg.4ab4b329b80a8d0dc9a827fbe2078bd2.jpg

Someone also did these custom renders:

c3ltp3ezvg041.thumb.jpg.4982feab70efb55132fa6e3c2e052cf1.jpg

Which for some reason, IMO, really brings it all together. 

Top Gear did this already. It didn't go too well. One of the campers I think is still sunk off the shore of England. 

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Top Gear did this already. It didn't go too well. One of the campers I think is still sunk off the shore of England. 

Care to elaborate, or provide the season/episode number? Sounds like the beginning of a good meme:

Tried to make camper attachment for truck. Ended up sunken off the coast of England... ?

4 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

The people that actually use a truck for what it's meant for, work, don't want an electric one. Charging batteries is too time-consuming especially in remote places with iffy power, having to get the vehicle serviced at a Tesla dealer is not reasonable when it might be a 300 mile round trip or more,  there are a lot of reasons this is ultimately just a city vehicle. Someone that drives a truck to their suit and tie office job will want one, farmers/ranchers will avoid it like the plague; It's not practical enough and electric vehicles are not really compatible with spontaneous jobs because of battery charging times.

Once GM un-stupids itself, we'll start to see the actually useful electric driver vehicles. The issue isn't Electric Drive, it's being wholly dependent on battery storage and what are still very weak power station distribution networks. Pure EVs will have their uses, but the batteries still have to radically improve to make it worthwhile.

The biggest issue is actually that Manufacturing Costs are still a lot higher for any EV-based design. Engine maintenance is lower, life time, but that doesn't matter to Fleet Buyers or lower-end purchases. (It's also a catastrophic risk to buying used.)  This is a lot of the reason major manufacturers have only dipped their toes into the area. You have to supply parts for these designs for 15 years, so you need time to sort out what actually works. Tesla, as a startup, can take the risks. Anyone that's established simply can't. It's too expensive and catching up in this space isn't hard. It's just the drivertrain understanding and the changes to the suspension that'll take work.

7 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Care to elaborate, or provide the season/episode number? Sounds like the beginning of a good meme:

Tried to make camper attachment for truck. Ended up sunken off the coast of England... ?

https://topgear.fandom.com/wiki/Jeremy's_Homemade_Motorhome

Season 15, episode 4. I think it's on Amazon Prime Video.

Based on my intellectual capacity and my vast knowledge, tactically and tentatively, right from the beginning of times especially in the light of Ecclesiastes Devolution, I have come to a concrete, definite and profound conclusion that I have nothing to say about this Tesla Cybertruck.

3 minutes ago, Rakanoth said:

Based on my intellectual capacity and my vast knowledge, tactically and tentatively, right from the beginning of times especially in the light of Ecclesiastes Devolution, I have come to a concrete, definite and profound conclusion that I have nothing to say about this Tesla Cybertruck.

Looked up “Ecclesiastes Devolution” online but I’m not getting much.  I Don’t know what it is.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Oopsie

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

22 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Any vehicle with an engine can out-truck an F-150, merely by starting up and driving away without breaking down.

Did you ever own a Ford truck? My '08 F150 Cuper Crew has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. In a little over 60,000 miles, it's been in the shop only once (other than for routine oil changes, battery replacement, and new tires), and that was for a broken electric window regulator. Even the factory tires and battery lasted longer than the OEMs ever lasted on any other new vehicle I owned. The two Rangers I owned in the distant past would share second place for reliability.

I don't remember how many miles my Daddy put on his '66 F100 before trading it in on a van but it far more than my F150 and almost never spent time in the shop (other than routine maintenance although he did most of it himself). 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

has this been posted yet? 

77366718_2717088318336846_6554514242844753920_n.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On 11/22/2019 at 7:04 PM, Drak3 said:

They really aren't.

-snip, too long-

Late reply, busy this weekend.

Bud, I dont know how to say this but you're really out of touch with the truck buying market then if you want to stand behind what you're saying. Last thing im gonna post in this thread because I dont want drama getting all spun up over an opinion that seems to only be so problematic on a forum filled with tesla and tech fans. (guess it shouldnt be surprising.)

Look. I honestly like Tesla. I like elon musk. I'm a techie, car, and gun enthusiast and I always have been. They make dope cars both technologically and performance wise. They just have an enormous amount of issues in their production line, customer service, quality control, and in my opinion apparently now in their design department having missed almost every point that makes a truck worthwhile to the truck buying market at large.

The reason I'm so upset about this is not because I want to see tesla fail. Its not because I want to see the best hope we have for real change in the industry disappear. Its simply because Im disappointed in what they've done. My expectations after all their other releases have been set too high I guess. This whole thing seems to be nothing more than a 'being different for the sake of being different, even if it means sacrificing functionality" type deal and it seriously pisses me off. Its even more infuriating than apple creating the bluetooth only trend in flagship phones. It needlessly takes away for the sake of being different, solely. I feel like its a friend spitting in my face and demanding I say thank you. I was legitimately contemplating replacing my now aged work truck with the tesla truck up until this reveal. Their fast charging stations up and down cali make it the only viable electric vehicle for the road trips and camping I do thought it would still mean adding a day or two to trips. Guess I'll just be going for another f150.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

9 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Not exactly. Aerodynamics is actually weird, and smoother curves doesn't always means better. Look up boxfish. It is extremely aerodynamic for an boxy figure. That's also how the Semi is able to achieve a lower drag coefficient compared to Bugatti Chiron

last last thing i say.

Drag CE doesnt take into account size of the object. while the design for the tesla semi truck is better aerodynamically than the chiron, its overall drag is significantly higher because of its size. Its a pretty misleading tactic.

also, that semi is like, insanely rounded and bubbly. not a single straight line or flat edge on the leading face at all.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, Atmos said:

This whole thing seems to be nothing more than a 'being different for the sake of being different, even if it means sacrificing functionality" type deal

Again, it doesn't really sacrifice function. IMO, that's the only thing it actually has going for it.

You complain about its towing, but it's in line with the Ranger, Dakota, and the base 1/2 ton offerings from RAM, Ford, and Chevy.

You complain about not being able to reach over the side of the bed, but the high point on the bed is roughly shoulder level. Many half tons and 3/4 tons roll off the lot in configurations where that is also true. But, with this, it tapers down towards the back.

Bed length is also fairly typical at 6.5ft. If you want a longer bed with a quad cab, your only other choice in the half ton segment is the Toyota Tundra. Ford, you can still get an extended cab, but GMC, Chevy, and Nissan, you need to get a single cab. With RAM, your only option for a half ton with an 8ft bed is the base trim of their old model.

Personally, I think the thing won't become mainstream because of the entry price, the design, and Telsa's history of overpromising and underdelivering, QA issues, and mixed reliability. The only thing Tesla managed to do right is the function, the drive train is good AND reliable, and the body can actually hold up to what Elon claims.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

21 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

has this been posted yet? 

77366718_2717088318336846_6554514242844753920_n.jpg

Yes.  The one that was posted didn’t have a 3/4 view of the top render and it was side to side which showed more clearly that the vehicles actually were the same.  The top one just had more stuff on it to make it look more like an f1 racer.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So far I’ve seen only a few criticisms other than various equivalents of “but it doesn’t look like what I’m used to and that makes me scared” which seem to be the vast majority of negative comments.

1: loading stuff from the side will be harder

2: the very strength of this truck could cause issues for emergency personnel trying to tear it open in an emergency

3: there are possible issues with 5th wheel use.

1: it’s stainless steel.  Get out an angle grinder and cut a hole.

2: this could be a problem.  If a “jaws of life” won’t cut the thing other measures will be needed

3: so mount they 5th wheel farther back.  It will need a custom one anyway.  If it’s even a problem.  The sides don’t matter for 5th wheel. Just where the axle is and how wide the bed opening is.  I don’t see any changes from a traditional truck.

Edited by Bombastinator
Making sure it read like I meant it to

I just went to the tesla site to place an order but I can’t find anything.  Where do I buy one of these?

Just now, Bombastinator said:

So far I’ve seen only a few criticisms other than various equivalents of “but it doesn’t look like what I’m used to and that makes me scared”

Legitimate criticism. I think Telsa should offer a version with the side walls removed, and the retracting cover being horizontal, instead of diagonal. But, honestly, some trucks are so high that it's not practical to side load anyway without climbing onto the tire, etc.

2: the very strength of this truck could cause safety issues for emergency personnel trying to tear it open in an emergency

Perhaps. Not convinced. As mentioned before, the jaws-of-life can tear straight through an A-Pillar. That's at least as strong as the 3mm sheet metal they are using on the doors, etc.

Also I'd be surprised if the entire thing was made out of the 3mm sheet metal.

Very niche - I know exactly 3 people who have used a 5th wheel, one of which got rid of their truck entirely. And I rarely if ever see any truck with a 5th wheel in the back on the road.

But I do see dozens and dozens of F150's and RAM 1500's, etc, factory, with no mods, no 5th wheel, no toolbox, etc.

Also, to those complaining about the lack of a toolbox mounting option? Watch the videos of people who actually toured the thing. The side walls of the bed are lined with a shitload of built-in storage space. You probably wouldn't need a toolbox anymore.

The looks are polarizing - no questioning that. But functionally speaking, most of the criticisms seem to be from people who looked at the picture and came to a bunch of conclusions that are contradicted by the specs and by people who have seen it in person.

Example: The rear seat head height. Ben Sullins from Teslanomics did an in-person overview of it, and rode inside it. He was in the back seat, and had TONS of headroom. He's at least 6ft tall. He was crammed into the back seat with 2 other adult men, and they had plenty of room. The interior of the Cybertruck is fucking massive.

Also people saying it can't tow? What the fuck? Did you guys read the specs? Did you compare that to current trucks?

Let's start with the smaller trucks towing capacity:

Dodge Dakota: 3,250 to 6,350 pounds

Toyota Tacoma: ~6400 pounds

Ford Ranger: 7500 pounds

Chevy Colorado: 3500 pounds

Entry level Cybertruck:

7500 pounds - same as the Ford Ranger

Midrange: 10,000 pounds

Top end: 14,000 pounds

Full size trucks:

Silverado 1500: 10,000 pounds

RAM 1500: 4400 to 11,500 pounds

GMC Sierra: 7700 to 12,000 pounds

Ford F150: 7500 to 13,000 pounds

Toyota Tundra: 8800 to 10,000 pounds

So the entry level Cybertruck can tow as much or more than some of the base model full size trucks. It also beats any small truck except the Ranger. The mid-range and top end Cybertruck either matches or beats every full-size truck, unless you step up to the larger trucks like F-250/350, etc.

So, aside from some aesthetic choices, the raw specs are damn good.

And frankly, if they just cut off the arching sides of the bed, it would honestly fix most of the aesthetic problems.

See this:

See how that one change makes a big difference (and eliminates one of the only valid criticisms about the bed side accessibility)?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I just went to the tesla site to place an order but I can’t find anything.  Where do I buy one of these?

https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/cybertruck

Depends on your region maybe? There's a giant order button in the right right corner.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Legitimate criticism. I think Telsa should offer a version with the side walls removed, and the retracting cover being horizontal, instead of diagonal. But, honestly, some trucks are so high that it's not practical to side load anyway without climbing onto the tire, etc.

Perhaps. Not convinced. As mentioned before, the jaws-of-life can tear straight through an A-Pillar. That's at least as strong as the 3mm sheet metal they are using on the doors, etc.

Also I'd be surprised if the entire thing was made out of the 3mm sheet metal.

Very niche - I know exactly 3 people who have used a 5th wheel, one of which got rid of their truck entirely. And I rarely if ever see any truck with a 5th wheel in the back on the road.

But I do see dozens and dozens of F150's and RAM 1500's, etc, factory, with no mods, no 5th wheel, no toolbox, etc.

Also, to those complaining about the lack of a toolbox mounting option? Watch the videos of people who actually toured the thing. The side walls of the bed are lined with a shitload of built-in storage space. You probably wouldn't need a toolbox anymore.

The looks are polarizing - no questioning that. But functionally speaking, most of the criticisms seem to be from people who looked at the picture and came to a bunch of conclusions that are contradicted by the specs and by people who have seen it in person.

Example: The rear seat head height. Ben Sullins from Teslanomics did an in-person overview of it, and rode inside it. He was in the back seat, and had TONS of headroom. He's at least 6ft tall. He was crammed into the back seat with 2 other adult men, and they had plenty of room. The interior of the Cybertruck is fucking massive.

Also people saying it can't tow? What the fuck? Did you guys read the specs? Did you compare that to current trucks?

Let's start with the smaller trucks towing capacity:

Dodge Dakota: 3,250 to 6,350 pounds

Toyota Tacoma: ~6400 pounds

Ford Ranger: 7500 pounds

Chevy Colorado: 3500 pounds

Entry level Cybertruck:

7500 pounds - same as the Ford Ranger

Midrange: 10,000 pounds

Top end: 14,000 pounds

Full size trucks:

Silverado 1500: 10,000 pounds

RAM 1500: 4400 to 11,500 pounds

GMC Sierra: 7700 to 12,000 pounds

Ford F150: 7500 to 13,000 pounds

Toyota Tundra: 8800 to 10,000 pounds

So the entry level Cybertruck can tow as much or more than some of the base model full size trucks. It also beats any small truck except the Ranger. The mid-range and top end Cybertruck either matches or beats every full-size truck, unless you step up to the larger trucks like F-250/350, etc.

So, aside from some aesthetic choices, the raw specs are damn good.

And frankly, if they just cut off the arching sides of the bed, it would honestly fix most of the aesthetic problems.

See this:

See how that one change makes a big difference (and eliminates one of the only valid criticisms about the bed side accessibility)?

No but I’d like to.  I don’t do twitter and there’s no pic

36 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So far I’ve seen only a few criticisms other than various equivalents of “but it doesn’t look like what I’m used to and that makes me scared” which seem to be the vast majority of negative comments.

2: the very strength of this truck could cause issues for emergency personnel trying to tear it open in an emergency

1: it’s stainless steel.  Get out an angle grinder and cut a hole.

2: this could be a problem.  If a “jaws of life” won’t cut the thing other measures will be needed

3: so mount they 5th wheel farther back.  It will need a custom one anyway.  If it’s even a problem.  The sides don’t matter for 5th wheel. Just where the axle is and how wide the bed opening is.  I don’t see any changes from a traditional truck.

The first issue is the fact it's Tesla. Everything else after that is just technical limitations they've created for themselves. And because it's a Tesla, we already know that fit & finish are going to be really uneven, seals are likely going to be a problem, parts are going to be expensive & likely unavailable for months on end, and you're banking on nothing going wrong. If EV motors weren't really, really old tech used in industrial capacity, Tesla wouldn't still be around for how uneven they can be.

The core technical problem is that it looks wild. Do people assume an entire industry of vehicle designers, the world over, are stupid? There's a reason there is such convergence on the shape of long-bed trucks. And that new blend of stainless steel is bugging me the more I think about it. There's zero long-term data on it, and it's going to be holding the entire truck together.

Tesla really need to take this on a run of Baja. Then we'd know a lot more. I have a bad feeling that, since this is their first attempt at this type of suspension, that there is going to be a serious amount of flying wheels in the future.

In in the end, it's a G Wagon or Cayenne competitor with some extra hauling capacity. For the SoCal Tesla buyer, though, this is probably a real upgrade for them. Though I personally can't wait for the SoCal set's reactions when they're running around Palo Alto.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The first issue is the fact it's Tesla. Everything else after that is just technical limitations they've created for themselves. And because it's a Tesla, we
[/QUOTE] “we”? Who is this “we”?  

already know that fit & finish are going to be really uneven, seals are likely going to be a problem, parts are going to be expensive & likely unavailable for months on end, and you're banking on nothing going wrong.

I’ve seen reports of complaints.  Generally old ones.  What I was told is that while you don’t want to buy the first model year of a traditional car for exactly the reasons you described, you don’t want to buy the first few months production of a tesla for those same reasons.  They’re starting farther back but they’re moving like 4 times as fast.

If EV motors weren't really, really old tech used in industrial capacity,

yeah.. they don’t use those motors.  They made different ones.  Specifically they did things with the magnets.  It’s why their cars are so fast compared to everyone else’s

Tesla wouldn't still be around for how uneven they can be.

The core technical problem is that it looks wild. Do people assume an entire industry of vehicle designers, the world over, are stupid?

nope. But they do design for stupid people, or rather people doing other things who don’t have time to think about it.  People can get real stupid when they’re not paying attention  

There's a reason there is such convergence on the shape of long-bed trucks.

which is?

And that new blend of stainless steel is bugging me the more I think about it. There's zero long-term data on it, and it's going to be holding the entire truck together.

301 stainless??  It’s not new.  Not even remotely.  It’s marine steel.  I’d be surprised if you didn’t already own something made of it.  It’s just not used in cars.

Tesla really need to take this on a run of Baja. Then we'd know a lot more.

agreed.

I have a bad feeling that, since this is their first attempt at this type of suspension, that there is going to be a serious amount of flying wheels in the future.

it could happen.  They’ve got two years or more though.

In in the end, it's a G Wagon or Cayenne competitor with some extra hauling capacity.

so an up model version Ford F-150 crew cab with custom stuff then

For the SoCal Tesla buyer, though, this is probably a real upgrade for them. Though I personally can't wait for the SoCal set's reactions when they're running around Palo Alto.

never hear SoCal used as a dog whistle before.  

52 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Again, it doesn't really sacrifice function. IMO, that's the only thing it actually has going for it.

You complain about its towing, but it's in line with the Ranger, Dakota, and the base 1/2 ton offerings from RAM, Ford, and Chevy.

You complain about not being able to reach over the side of the bed, but the high point on the bed is roughly shoulder level. Many half tons and 3/4 tons roll off the lot in configurations where that is also true. But, with this, it tapers down towards the back.

Bed length is also fairly typical at 6.5ft. If you want a longer bed with a quad cab, your only other choice in the half ton segment is the Toyota Tundra. Ford, you can still get an extended cab, but GMC, Chevy, and Nissan, you need to get a single cab. With RAM, your only option for a half ton with an 8ft bed is the base trim of their old model.

Personally, I think the thing won't become mainstream because of the entry price, the design, and Telsa's history of overpromising and underdelivering, QA issues, and mixed reliability. The only thing Tesla managed to do right is the function, the drive train is good AND reliable, and the body can actually hold up to what Elon claims.

Man, shoulder height is too damn high for most people to be able to lift things in to and out of their bed.

Also most trucks, the rapter, trd pro, and w/e chevy is literally sliding from their rears these days excluded, are tall, but not so high that a normal person cant lift something heavy up into it over the bed or access a mounted toolbox in the case where one is present.

You tried lifting a 50lb weight up, over shoulder height and then lowering it down with a barrier at shoulder height? That stuff isnt easy. Its just needlessly more difficult than it should be. Honestly if those absurd side walls/supports were gone my issues with the truck and may other's issues with its functionality as a truck would be insanely less relevant. but they not only make access harder, but actively prevent 5th wheel options.

Also just looked into the towing. 7.5k on base model, 14k on 3 motor awd. The 14k is a solid metric, like I said on par with entry level diesel but for a LOT more (around 30k more). but that 7.5k man... thats pretty significantly under most half ton trucks. Its only more than the v6s and 4cyls out there, pretty much every v8 half ton has a tow between 8-11.5k, and they do it for 8-18k less...

I do 100% agree about them having issues in their production and staff. Far, far too many insiders from tesla have come forward to talk about it. I also 100% agree that the drive train in their cars are absolutely fantastic. The p85d my uncle owns is just beyond nuts fast from a stop. Only thing I can remotely compare it to that I've experienced was the short while that I owned a 999r my first semesters of college, before i realized that some things can be just way too much for the road and daily driving/riding. Like, literally, if this wagon was in a traditional truck body I would honestly be all the fuck over it. I'd sell daily, my bike, and take out a hefty loan to get one. I'd still keep my f150 for road trips, but other than that I would just daily the fuck out of an electric truck from tesla... but not that one compromises on so much that a truck offers, and definitely not one that looks like lotus esprit rendered by a sega genesis on pcp.