Best bang for my 100 bucks?

isHypnophobic

I always thought UK English was better than 'Murican but I see now I was mistaken. Apparently, "nearly the same" means "indistinguishable" across the pond.

You sir, are the very pigeon shit on Trafalgar square sir.  Ever so British sir.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I always thought UK English was better than 'Murican but I see now I was mistaken. Apparently, "nearly the same" means "indistinguishable" across the pond.

I never said "nearly the same" means "indistinguishable". I merely stated that I am yet to experience two different headphones that are indistinguishable. Therefore, buying a $500 headphone that sounds "nearly the same" as a $50 pair is not as crazy as it sounds because they do sound different. Also, this is an isolated case between 2 headphones and is not necessarily representative of headphones in general (i.e. they don't usually sound so similar). Generally, cheap headphones do sound worse than expensive headphones to me and I wouldn't buy cheap open back headphones as IMO they do not offer the same benefits of more expensive open back headphones and are therefore not worth it (to me). I may now go against this by buying some Pioneer A1000s just to hear what you are talking about as you are clearly enthused by its superb sound quality.

Pilates

I never said "nearly the same" means "indistinguishable". I merely stated that I am yet to experience two different headphones that are indistinguishable. Therefore, buying a $500 headphone that sounds "nearly the same" as a $50 pair is not as crazy as it sounds because they do sound different. Also, this is an isolated case between 2 headphones and is not necessarily representative of headphones in general (i.e. they don't usually sound so similar). Generally, cheap headphones do sound worse than expensive headphones to me and I wouldn't buy cheap open back headphones as IMO they do not offer the same benefits of more expensive open back headphones and are therefore not worth it (to me). I may now go against this by buying some Pioneer A1000s just to hear what you are talking about as you are clearly enthused by its superb sound quality.

Likewise, I never said it was crazy to buy a $500 headphone over a similar sounding $50 headphone. I do still prefer my HD 650's, and gave the Pioneer's to a friend when I could have easily sold the Senn's for a couple hundred bucks. I just think it's a little prude to tell someone they NEED to save up $250 for their first pair of open headphones.

Have you tried both the 500 and 600 series from Sennheiser? I wouldn't recommend the Pioneer's if you already have, unless you just have cash to blow on expensive hobbies like this.

OP, sorry if we derailed your thread a tad. :)

Have you tried both the 500 and 600 series from Sennheiser? I wouldn't recommend the Pioneer's if you already have, unless you just have cash to blow on expensive hobbies like this.

I have tried the 650s, although I don't own them. I also tried some from the 500 series a while back (can't remember which ones). They sounded really nice but I haven't used them for any extended period.

Pilates

Likewise, I never said it was crazy to buy a $500 headphone over a similar sounding $50 headphone. I do still prefer my HD 650's, and gave the Pioneer's to a friend when I could have easily sold the Senn's for a couple hundred bucks. I just think it's a little prude to tell someone they NEED to save up $250 for their first pair of open headphones.

OP, sorry if we derailed your thread a tad. :)

I never said "nearly the same" means "indistinguishable". I merely stated that I am yet to experience two different headphones that are indistinguishable. Therefore, buying a $500 headphone that sounds "nearly the same" as a $50 pair is not as crazy as it sounds because they do sound different.

Oh, it's quite alright. Both of you had valid points and had equal right to express them. Good to see it boiled down to some nice advice at the end there.

I'll look more into this whole headphone buying thing tonight with the HD518 and A1000's as the leading considerations.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

I'll look more into this whole headphone buying thing tonight with the HD518 and A1000's as the leading considerations.

Now that I'm at a computer, I checked Amazon for prices. The audio-technica ATH-AD500X is $90 and is pretty good too. Similar design to the Pioneer, arguably more comfortable, super-wide soundstage, but an inconveniently springy cable. There's a comparison/review between them and the pioneer's linked in my signature (or, here). 

And can only be found for $150, and aren't really worth that price, and if you read the op you would have saw that he wants an open headphone.....

Can only be found for $150?!?!?!?!? I caught mine for $100 on Amazon.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Can only be found for $150?!?!?!?!? I caught mine for $100 on Amazon.

Just because you bought them for $100 does not mean they are currently that price. Plz czech next tiem b4 exclamationz.

isHypnophobic, on 08 Feb 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

That detachable cable sounds appealing to me. But is it worth the extra 23 dollars?

I'm both surprised and impressed by that statement coming from the resident Sennheiser fanboy. The only thing turning me off about the Pioneer is the 6 meter cable. It might get trampled or damaged.

This is what I did with my long headphone cable. Shortened it from 3 meters to about 1 meter.

:P

Now that I'm at a computer, I checked Amazon for prices. The audio-technica ATH-AD500X is $90 and is pretty good too. Similar design to the Pioneer, arguably more comfortable, super-wide soundstage, but an inconveniently springy cable. There's a comparison/review between them and the pioneer's linked in my signature (or, here). 

Yeah I actually read your reviews yesterday. They're really indepth and non-biased. Helped me a lot in terms of learning audio terms and what-not.

Anyways, I believe I might have narrowed down the perfect entry-level audiophile headphones for me. It's Sennheiser's HD595. Yes, it's a bit old but I got in contact with an audiophile collector trying to sell his 595's for $100. He needed space and extra moola to improve his collection, I believe.

After researching for an hour or two, I came into the conclusion that this is a great deal. Do you guys agree?

The HD595's in question have only been used for an hour and then stored away in a glass display box for the past few years.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

After researching for an hour or two, I came into the conclusion that this is a great deal. Do you guys agree?

The HD595's in question have only been used for an hour and then stored away in a glass display box for the past few years.

I heard rumors of the 5x5 series having cracking issues... (le google varifies). If you're gentle with them and/or willing to repair/replace the headband if it does crack, I'd say go for it. It's always cool to have a headphone no one else can buy new.

I heard rumors of the 5x5 series having cracking issues... (le google varifies). If you're gentle with them and/or willing to repair/replace the headband if it does crack, I'd say go for it. It's always cool to have a headphone no one else can buy new.

The headband is in perfect condition actually. But yes, I'll be careful with them during use--they won't be leaving my room so it should be safe. He's also including a headphone stand with the purchase.

Grado SR60 or SR80

Koss Porta Pro

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Actually, I'm thinking of using 2-part clear epoxy to strengthen the piece that always cracks in the 5x5 series. I mean hell, the pair of headphones I got is a decade old!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the suggestion guys! I just received my new HD595's. I paid 100 dollars for it!

7IAxwy4l.jpg

There it is! What do you guys think? This thing is a decade old but it spent all of those years in a glass display case.

Actually, I'm thinking of using 2-part clear epoxy to strengthen the piece that always cracks in the 5x5 series. I mean hell, the pair of headphones I got is a decade old!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the suggestion guys! I just received my new HD595's. I paid 100 dollars for it!

-img-

There it is! What do you guys think? This thing is a decade old but it spent all of those years in a glass display case.

Enjoying it? You need to pait it red to match all that other stuff in your room. :P

Enjoying it?

I'm enjoying them a lot. The fact that the music sounds like it's in the same room as you are is amazing. I played some Haydn's 95th Symphony and I can freaking hear the celloist's fingers hit the fretboard... I'm just speechless. If these things can do that for the 100 dollar price range, I can't even imagine what would happen if I upped my price range!

You need to pait it red to match all that other stuff in your room. :P

Dude, even my chair is red--I might consider it.

uCPhNn6l.jpg

If these things can do that for the 100 dollar price range, I can't even imagine what would happen if I upped my price range!

Enjoy it while it lasts. You never get quite the same experience as your first good pair.

More expensive headphones are just minor improvements in sound, which is why this hobby can get expensive as you purchase headphone after headphone in a vain attempt to reach that initial euphoria.

Enjoy it while it lasts. You never get quite the same experience as your first good pair.

More expensive headphones are just minor improvements in sound, which is why this hobby can get expensive as you purchase headphone after headphone in a vain attempt to reach that initial euphoria.

That's really well placed. I'll enjoy it for now then! Nothing really beats the first time eh? Maybe I'll grab a 2nd set of headphones in a few years time.

Anyways, thanks for your input. 'twas a pleasure learning.

uCPhNn6l.jpg

Red chair is red, but I have to ask;  it looks so uncomfortable if you sit in it for too long does it make your bum red too?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Red chair is red, but I have to ask;  it looks so uncomfortable if you sit in it for too long does it make your bum red too?

Actually it isn't as bad as it looks! It's comfortable if you keep your back straight.

It's comfortable if you keep your back straight.

So in other words, it's hella uncomfortable.  :rolleyes:

20120102-221444.jpg

So in other words, it's hella uncomfortable.  :rolleyes:

Yes.

I'm surprised only one person has mentioned the Gradio SR60i or the Gradio SR80i. They fit your requirements of being open designed and lightweight although they are the on-ear type of headphones. The Gradio SR60i runs for about $80 while the SR80i runs for $100; they are both within your budget. They are one of the most well regarded open headphones and are great for the price, here are the links:

Grado Prestige Series SR-60i: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR-60i-Headphones/dp/B0006DPMU4/ref=pd_sim_e_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=15ZAKFQSV9SDB8SH1KNQ

Grado Prestige Series SR80: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR80i-Headphone/dp/B0055P9K38

Interesting article on modding your headphones to make them better: http://lifehacker.com/get-better-sound-from-your-favorite-headphones-with-the-1516562484

Remember to use high quality audio files (320kbps MP3s or FLACs) and update your audio drivers. Good luck!

I'm surprised only one person has mentioned the Gradio SR60i or the Gradio SR80i. They fit your requirements of being open designed and lightweight although they are the on-ear type of headphones. The Gradio SR60i runs for about $80 while the SR80i runs for $100; they are both within your budget. They are one of the most well regarded open headphones and are great for the price, here are the links:

Grado Prestige Series SR-60i: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR-60i-Headphones/dp/B0006DPMU4/ref=pd_sim_e_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=15ZAKFQSV9SDB8SH1KNQ

Grado Prestige Series SR80: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR80i-Headphone/dp/B0055P9K38

Interesting article on modding your headphones to make them better: http://lifehacker.com/get-better-sound-from-your-favorite-headphones-with-the-1516562484

Remember to use high quality audio files (320kbps MP3s or FLACs) and update your audio drivers. Good luck!

They also get hella uncomfortable because they are on ears.. 

Dat lack of bass tho.