Best bang for my 100 bucks?

isHypnophobic

Hello audio people of LTT, I'd like to ask what are the best choices in a pair of headphones around the $100 range. I come from a very audio quality deprived background (I've only owned crappy headphones), although I do love music.

So far I've been using Sony's MDR-ZX600. Now that I have a desktop that can drive headsets up to 600 ohms, I'd like to test the headphone/set waters a little.

I've tested some at my local retailer and I found out that I love the following features:

-Open-Back

-Over the Ear

-Light weight

Recommendations please!

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

I'm not sure but you might be able to get some ATH-M50s for just over $100 (if you're lucky). They are the best headphones available in my opinion.

Pilates

I'm not sure but you might be able to get some ATH-M50s for just over $100 (if you're lucky). They are the best headphones available in my opinion.

And can only be found for $150, and aren't really worth that price, and if you read the op you would have saw that he wants an open headphone.....

HD518, My go to open back $100ish dollar headphone. It uses the same drivers as its more expensive counterparts, and actually has a better bass response.

These are within the price range and open as the op wanted. They're also bigger so most likely more comfortable for your ears. I recommend these as well.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

And can only be found for $150, and aren't really worth that price, and if you read the op you would have saw that he wants an open headphone.....

Yes, I'd like to have an Open-Back since it'll only be used at home anyways. I'll have my old Sony MDR for my close-back needs.

These are within the price range and open as the op wanted. They're also bigger so most likely more comfortable for your ears. I recommend these as well.

HD518, My go to open back $100ish dollar headphone. It uses the same drivers as its more expensive counterparts, and actually has a better bass response.

I'll look into these 518s more then. Thank you for the recommendation, I appreciate it.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Yes, I'd like to have an Open-Back since it'll only be used at home anyways. I'll have my old Sony MDR for my close-back needs.

I'll look into these 518s more then. Thank you for the recommendation, I appreciate it.

You could also look into the SE-A1000 from Pioneer, its a pretty solid headphone too. 

You could also look into the SE-A1000 from Pioneer, its a pretty solid headphone too. 

If you had to pick between the HD518 and the SE-A1000, which would you choose and why?

If you had to pick between the HD518 and the SE-A1000, which would you choose and why?

HD518, detachable cable and a tonality I find agreeable (I like how they sound) 

Pioneer SE-A1000 are only $55 and sound just as good as the Sennheisers. They are THE best bang for the buck headphone.

HD518, detachable cable and a tonality I find agreeable (I like how they sound) 

That detachable cable sounds appealing to me. But is it worth the extra 23 dollars?

Pioneer SE-A1000 are only $55 and sound just as good as the Sennheisers. They are THE best bang for the buck headphone.

I'm both surprised and impressed by that statement coming from the resident Sennheiser fanboy. The only thing turning me off about the Pioneer is the 6 meter cable. It might get trampled or damaged.

I'm both surprised and impressed by that statement coming from the resident Sennheiser fanboy. The only thing turning me off about the Pioneer is the 6 meter cable. It might get trampled or damaged.

Lol, probably a bigger Pioneer fan.

Pioneer knows that cable is way too long for most people, so they braid it and include a high quality velcro wrap. All that cable bulk can still get annoying, however there's always some compromises to be made when pinching pennies.

It's my opinion bro, if you don't want it, don't take it. IMO open headphones are pointless unless you are willing to spend way more than $100.

Pilates

Lol, probably a bigger Pioneer fan.

Pioneer knows that cable is way too long for most people, so they braid it and include a high quality velcro wrap. All that cable bulk can still get annoying, however there's always some compromises to be made when pinching pennies.

I might opt for these then. I understand that compromises are being made here for my price range. I'd spend more but I'm only testing the waters to see if amplified headphones/sets are worth investing on.

It's my opinion bro, if you don't want it, don't take it. IMO open headphones are pointless unless you are willing to spend way more than $100.

I understand your point. It's a tad too high for my price range though. As I said I'm only testing to see if headphones are for me. What do you think is the best (reasonable) price range for open headphones?

I might opt for these then. I understand that compromises are being made here for my price range. I'd spend more but I'm only testing the waters to see if amplified headphones/sets are worth investing on.

I understand your point. It's a tad too high for my price range though. As I said I'm only testing to see if headphones are for me. What do you think is the best (reasonable) price range for open headphones?

What do you mean amplified headphones/set, and what do you need them for?

Pardon my language, but Tom's talking out of his ass here. My $500 Sennheiser HD650 and the $150 (MSRP) Pioneer SE-A1000 sound nearly the same. You do not need to spend a lot of money on headphones, open OR closed, to get some that sound good.

What do you mean amplified headphones/set, and what do you need them for?

Pardon my language, but Tom's talking out of his ass here. My $500 Sennheiser HD650 and the $150 (MSRP) Pioneer SE-A1000 sound nearly the same. You do not need to spend a lot of money on headphones, open OR closed, to get some that sound good.

What I meant by that is since I've started listening to music with headphones I have only bought low-end headphones being driven by an unamplified source--my iPhone/iPod. Now that I've built a PC with a headphone amp that can drive 600 ohm impedence headphones, I wanted to see if there's a discerning difference and if it is worth investing more money on.

They'll only be used at home, in front of my desk. I like listening to music as I work and since my apartment is fairly silent, open-back headphones will work great.

I see. Well it seems that just like most products, price isn't everything.

I'd probably start at $250 for open back headphones. But seriously if you want great sound, you owe it to yourself to at least listen to some ATH-M50s.

Pilates

This or Koss portapro, they are a lot smaller though.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Pardon my language, but Tom's talking out of his ass here. My $500 Sennheiser HD650 and the $150 (MSRP) Pioneer SE-A1000 sound nearly the same.

Do they really? I call BS. maybe they do to you but some of the population actually have a good ear?

You do not need to spend a lot of money on headphones, open OR closed, to get some that sound good.

That really depends on how you define good... The problem with this is that you are confusing fact with opinion.

Pilates

I'd probably start at $250 for open back headphones. But seriously if you want great sound, you owe it to yourself to at least listen to some ATH-M50s.

I personally find the $150 costing DT990 Pro sounds quite a bit better than it's closed back version, the DT770 (which I personally own).

Why would closed back be the way to go here..? 

I just don't understand.

THE signature

Do they really? I call BS. maybe they do to you but some of the population actually have a good ear?

That really depends on how you define good... The problem with this is that you are confusing fact with opinion.

Right, because I totally came up with that comparison on my own: http://www.head-fi.org/t/670454/pioneer-se-a1000-appreciation-club-sennheiser-hd-650-for-45

And never mind all those popular good-sounding open headphones below $250, but I guess everyone's just deaf and can't tell a B# from C.

I personally find the $150 costing DT990 Pro sounds quite a bit better than it's closed back version, the DT770 (which I personally own).

Why would closed back be the way to go here..?

I just don't understand.

Just my experience with budget open back headphones, the ones I've tried seem slightly empty/hollow sounding compared to their closed back competition to me. Also the experience of bass is very different in closed back and open back headphones and I feel some cheaper model's bass can appear "unrefined" for lack of a better word...

Pilates

Right, because I totally came up with that comparison on my own: http://www.head-fi.org/t/670454/pioneer-se-a1000-appreciation-club-sennheiser-hd-650-for-45

And never mind all those popular good-sounding open headphones below $250, but I guess everyone's just deaf and can't tell a B# from C.

Ok so now it looks like you've just read a forum post and haven't even bothered listening to them to compare. I'll be honest, I haven't listened to the pioneer A1000 but neither have I ever listened to 2 pairs of headphones that were indistinguishable in sound. Hence my skepticism. There are people that can't tell the difference between listening on apple earbuds and seeing a live orchestra in a cathedral. But hey if you've found the perfect headphone for you then that's great, congrats.

Pilates

Man I always thought it was a Cb ha ha

For those who actually care there is a big difference between open and closed headphones to the end user. Other wise manufacturers would only bother with one style.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ok so now it looks like you've just read a forum post and haven't even bothered listening to them to compare. I'll be honest, I haven't listened to the pioneer A1000 but neither have I ever listened to 2 pairs of headphones that were indistinguishable in sound. Hence my skepticism. There are people that can't tell the difference between listening on apple earbuds and seeing a live orchestra in a cathedral. But hey if you've found the perfect headphone for you then that's great, congrats.

I always thought UK English was better than 'Murican but I see now I was mistaken. Apparently, "nearly the same" means "indistinguishable" across the pond.