German Network Agency says 56 KBit/s is a functional internet connection.

Nicnac
1 hour ago, X-System said:

4GB data of 4G for 20 euros per month, it's very expensive !

In France, for 20 euros per month, you have 100GB data of 4G+.

wtf here its like 50 dollars for 20GB per month

Hi,

Yes they are absolutely correct, by definition 56Kbps is considered a functional network speed.

By today's standards, absolutely not, however they are not baffling you.

The fastest man alive

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

They don't want to pay for fiber and therefore upgrading existing systems, ie. COAX (cable TV) and ADSL/VDSL (telephone line)

Nah. It's shared access between customers. You don't get 50 up 50 down, you get 10 up and 50 down, because 40 of that is being used between 4 customers on the "10 down" service. (At least historically, that was what they were doing).

20 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Some offer "unlimited" for £30 here. I'm planning on transferring to it if I go off grid/move house. :P (I'll have to drop gaming though, as I've no idea what the latency will be :P )

8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

And Free propose to get unlimited 4G+ for 16 € per month, only if to subscribe Freebox.

I know someone in France who consumes 2.14TB data 4G+ in a month and he paid only 16 € for that (he has Freebox)

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

5 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Some offer "unlimited" for £30 here. I'm planning on transferring to it if I go off grid/move house. :P (I'll have to drop gaming though, as I've no idea what the latency will be :P )

4 minutes ago, X-System said:

And Free propose to get unlimited 4G+ for 16 € per month, only if to subscribe Freebox.

I know someone in France who consumes 2.14TB data 4G+ in a month and he paid only 16 € for that (he has Freebox)

in the US when they say unlimited they mean unlimited 3G data -_- im guessing thats not the case in europe

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

in the US when they say unlimited they mean unlimited 3G data -_- im guessing thats not the case in europe

Unlimited means Edge and barely loading

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 hours ago, maartendc said:

Wouldnt these people be better off just getting a wireless plan if available? (3g at least)

Or if that is not available, some kind of satellite internet? I know satellite internet is slow, but it HAS to be faster than 56K...

I doubt they even have mobile coverage in these areas ? as one minister once said “not every milk can needs 5G”......

so no internet at all for rural Germany lmao. We are surprisingly thrid world in that regard

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

13 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I doubt they even have mobile coverage in these areas ? as one minister once said “not every milk can needs 5G”......

so no internet at all for rural Germany lmao. We are surprisingly thrid world in that regard

Well that is why I mention sattelite... that is available everywhere in the world.

18 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Giggles in his unlimited data for £25 a month. Ok there is a reasonable use clause but the next lowest plan they offer is 50GB so it's a lot. Not that i ever came close to even 10GB so far, but then the offer was a loyalty bonus from my provider so it wasn't like i had to pay much more than for a bare bones plan.

13 hours ago, Nicnac said:

What on earth is going on there?  You have 84M people in an area half the size of NSW and Telstra can easily cover that much ground with their 4g.   Are their pockets of alps or something that hide big chunks of the population?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

What on earth is going on there?  You have 84M people in an area half the size of NSW and Telstra can easily cover that much ground with their 4g.   Are their pockets of alps or something that hide big chunks of the population?

I have to agree here. Germany is pretty big, but it is nowhere near as big as the US with vast stretches of areas uninhabited (the deserts of the western states) and other areas sparsely populated (basically anywhere that isnt east or west coast).

I can understand that the US has trouble providing everyone with broadband... but Germany?? Come on Germany.

35 minutes ago, maartendc said:

I have to agree here. Germany is pretty big, but it is nowhere near as big as the US with vast stretches of areas uninhabited (the deserts of the western states) and other areas sparsely populated (basically anywhere that isnt east or west coast).

Did you also know that Australia is the same land area as the contiguous 48 states of the US? Australia has a land area and population issue, US has a willingness issue. Africa has a land area issue.

Image result for size of africa vs usa

21 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I haven’t been to Germany in a long time, but it was that way a long time ago too.  The cities had great services, but in rural areas a hot bath meant gathering firewood for the boiler.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Did you also know that Australia is the same land area as the contiguous 48 states of the US? Australia has a land area and population issue, US has a willingness issue. Africa has a land area issue.

I would say they both have land population issues compared to Germany. Vast sections of Australia aren’t just uninhabited though, they’re uninhabitable.  May go to the willingness thing. A state like Montana is barely inhabited but living there is totally doable.  Germany’s rural areas, at least when I was last there, were more were More like Montana than Australia. nearly uninhabited but inhabitable.  There were big cities and empty spaces and very little in between.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Well all I can say is that when I go on my kinda regular train rides from Hamburg to Nuremberg which is kinda from north to south I see lots of areas that are rural with small towns but I only get Edge service for at least half the ride and not including the endless tunnels around Göttingen ^^

of course the ICE (inter-city Express) has WiFi but even my shitty cellular service is more reliable and faster than that. And I have Telekom which should be the best network in germany. 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

On 11/17/2019 at 11:36 AM, ARikozuM said:

We subsidize the industry in the states. There is no reason to charge $60 for 100/100 when it's our money they're double-dipping. 

I hope every German riots/strikes against this decision. Things need to move quickly these days since ceding ground will be hard to reacquire. 

You can get 100/100 for $60 where you live? I can only get 60/10 for 60 bucks where I live. 

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You can get 100/100 for $60 where you live? I can only get 60/10 for 60 bucks where I live. 

We sort of do.  It varies from area to area.  A lot of the effective subsidy is not enforcing monompoly laws and even offering protections from them.  The net service is so bad in some areas that people have attempted to set up non profit competitors.  These would be totally unsubisidized, but are quashed.  Generally by the right wing.  There were a few groups that managed it though.  One had the clever idea to use robots to pull cable through sewer pipes.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Even only looking at Germany V Australia,  Germany fits into half of NSW.  Which has about 40% 4G coverage of the eastern half and the rest 3g.  Germany has almost 10 times the population in that area.   I just don't see a viable reason for them not having an A grade Internet.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

52 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Me neither mate.

Billions of them I suspect.  They’ve had a pretty right wing government since the 80s.  Actual public works like that just aren’t done by right wing governments.  The payoff may be greater, but it’s too slow.  If it doesn’t help get the politician something it doesn’t happen.  This can be true of left wing groups too.  They can have different definitions of something though.

35 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Billions of them I suspect.  They’ve had a pretty right wing government since the 80s.  Actual public works like that just aren’t done by right wing governments.  The payoff may be greater, but it’s too slow.  If it doesn’t help get the politician something it doesn’t happen.  This can be true of left wing groups too.  They can have different definitions of something though.

Right Wing is an exaggeration

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

3 hours ago, Nicnac said:

Right Wing is an exaggeration

It really isn't, in most cases. Even the Dems are getting paid to move to the right. 

My county gives Spectrum and Fios money for them to put more lines and better service. It has not come to fruition and yet they continue to fund them despite the protests the populace makes every damn year. If we're paying taxes on it, we should get the thing outright. I've been pushing for public broadband in my city. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

It really isn't, in most cases. Even the Dems are getting paid to move to the right. 

My county gives Spectrum and Fios money for them to put more lines and better service. It has not come to fruition and yet they continue to fund them despite the protests the populace makes every damn year. If we're paying taxes on it, we should get the thing outright. I've been pushing for public broadband in my city. 

Wait i thought we were talking about german government in the 80s?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido