When will Intel's 10th gen i9 be available for purchase?

I'm upgrading to the i9-10980XE the second it's available. Being the most exciting thing that has ever happened in my life, I want to know when that will be.

Does anyone have info? When were the previous gens released for sale?

UPDATE:

8 hours ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

Ok you guys win, I changed my mind.

45654.thumb.png.f86c5b5f94451b623fc59e213c761451.png

9 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

Being the most exciting thing that has ever happened in my life, I want to know when that will be.

a re re re re release of skylake is the most exciting thing to you?

Just be aware that the 18 core is still probably not as good as the Ryzen 9 3950X in every regard except memory bandwidth and PCIe lanes, so temper your expectations. In fact, don't expect it to be more than marginally better than the 9980XE so you might as well get one of those if you must.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Maybe they're upgrading from older X299?

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Just be aware that the 18 core is still probably not as good as the Ryzen 9 3950X in every regard except memory bandwidth and PCIe lanes, so temper your expectations.

You forgot AVX-512. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Just be aware that the 18 core is still probably not as good as the Ryzen 9 3950X in every regard except memory bandwidth and PCIe lanes, so temper your expectations.

I'd never even consider buying an AMD processor for the simple reason that they're not reliable. I'm upgrading from an 8700k, so I think for me there will be a pretty significant performance boost, since I mostly do multi-threaded tasks.

2 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

I'd never even consider buying an AMD processor for the simple reason that they're not reliable.

Well whoever told you that is lying.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

It's been my experience, nobody told me it.

people who say this have often never actually used a Ryzen CPU, or even older FX CPUs.. when I was building a rig for my friend he said "absolutely no AMD processors" and I asked if he had ever owned one to back up his "experience." He of course said no. Built him a Ryzen 9 3900X system for his 3D work and he loves it. Same with my roomate, he had doubts about AMD and so I built him a 2600 powered system for his 144Hz monitor, and that of course has not let him down.

So why not be more specific? It's possible you had an issue with your setup that caused a problem that is not representative of true AMD reliability, or you've got the brand switching heebie jeebies and just need some new info

Primary PC:

Why do you guys insist on feeding a troll? If someone wants to bury their head in the sand and waste their own money on something that is not fit for purpose, why spend the energy to convince them otherwise when it's obvious that they're not here for objective discussion?

It's been my experience, nobody told me it.

You owned AMD cpu in the past? 

Your upgrade path require a new mobo, new cpu, reinstall the mobo and all cables, reinstall windows and such

Unlike on AMD, if you own a good sub $200 board, you can just upgrade to 3900x in 2 years later when the 3900x price drop to 400 or 300 for 12c/24t. 

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

people who say this have often never actually used a Ryzen CPU, or even older FX CPUs.. when I was building a rig for my friend he said "absolutely no AMD processors" and I asked if he had ever owned one to back up his "experience." He of course said no. Built him a Ryzen 9 3900X system for his 3D work and he loves it. Same with my roomate, he had doubts about AMD and so I built him a 2600 powered system for his 144Hz monitor, and that of course has not let him down.

So why not be more specific? It's possible you had an issue with your setup that caused a problem that is not representative of true AMD reliability, or you've got the brand switching heebie jeebies and just need some new info

Why do you care if people buy AMD? Seems like something that shouldn't affect you at all.

3 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

because i'm laughing irl at this clown spaffing money away

For some people, believe it or not, money isn't an issue. So it's a choice of brand. The only argument I've ever heard in AMD's favor is for people who can't afford Intel and need every bit of performance for every penny they spend.

I personally don't give a shit, Intel has always proven reliable to me, whether or not AMD has for others. So I choose Intel. I'd pay triple for their products.

Why do you care if people buy AMD? Seems like something that shouldn't affect you at all.

As a hobbyist I try to give helpful advice. My advice is that you should buy AMD at this current time because Intel offers so much less for so much more cost. I won't take it personally if you but an Intel CPU but I'm just here for the discussion, trying to spread useful information.

Primary PC:

6 minutes ago, badreg said:

Why do you guys insist on feeding a troll? If someone wants to bury their head in the sand and waste their own money on something that is not fit for purpose, why spend the energy to convince them otherwise when it's obvious that they're not here for objective discussion?

Is it really that hard to imagine that Intel are still a viable choice? Just because Zen 2 exists doesn't mean everything else is obsolete. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, BecauseICanTBH said:

You are like me when i did not know anything about computer two years back, only heard of ryzen first gen coming and thought that intel is the better afterall.

I got interested in pc and its hardware, so i watched a lot of bitwit and linustechtips (now i watch about 7 different pc video makers). Those couple years taught me that, you have to know something about pc's before even consider bying. I remember that i wanted to buy 64gb ram, i7 8700k and 1050ti (LOL). Now i have r7 3700x and 5700xt.

So before buying intel and saying omg i want to buy intel now, watch youtube. Watch intel vs amd gaming. Watch multitasking beetween amd and intel. Watch videos about intel's and amd's pricing. Dont just buy anything blind.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

24 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

The only argument I've ever heard in AMD's favor is for people who can't afford Intel and need every bit of performance for every penny they 

AMD is not for poor people but rather for people don't make mid life crisis choices. 

48 minutes ago, porina said:

Is it really that hard to imagine that Intel are still a viable choice? Just because Zen 2 exists doesn't mean everything else is obsolete. 

I never said that Intel is not a viable choice. I own an 8700k myself and it works perfectly fine for me now and for the foreseeable future.

However, if I was making a purchasing decision now, I wouldn't be blindly ignoring the alternatives. And in OP's case, I certainly wouldn't be locked on to an option that is objectively inferior to its competition for the vast majority of use cases.

>Buys AMD because broke

>Develops obsessive need to convince others to buy AMD

Lol, behold, the vegans of the tech world. 

3 hours ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

For some people, believe it or not, money isn't an issue. So it's a choice of brand. The only argument I've ever heard in AMD's favor is for people who can't afford Intel and need every bit of performance for every penny they spend.

I personally don't give a shit, Intel has always proven reliable to me, whether or not AMD has for others. So I choose Intel. I'd pay triple for their products.

If money isn't an issue. You should get the Xeon W-3175X and Asus Dominus Extreme. Why get the 10980XE like a peasant? A $1000 CPU is for poor people only.

27 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

>Buys AMD because broke

Lol, behold, the vegans of the tech 

Intel 14nm is shit, rich boy.

Amd is not for broke people, rich boy.

35 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

>Buys AMD because broke

Lol, behold, the vegans of the tech world. 

Eh probs chill tbh. My current Intel setup was cheaper than my AMD one lmao. $330 2700X on a $290 Crosshair VII Hero vs the $290 j-bin 5960X on a $99 X99 Classified I run now. AMD isn't for broke people, a lot of peeps on this forum are just angery at Intel because they're not the underdog and held back core counts in the past due to lack of competition. Very similar to the constant reeee against Apple amongst a lot of the tech community. IMO peeps do push AMD a bit too hard, Intel still kicks ass at a lotta shit. 

One of those being overclocking. If you have the cooling needed, you'll likely have way more fun with an X299 chip than any of the threadrippers, OC headroom on Ryzens has been consistently meh. On lower end chips it can be fun, but on my 2700X I couldn't even get above stock boost so that left a bad taste in my mouth. That and I just flat out like Intel's HEDT shit for really no reason, my main is pretty much always going to be that if I can fit it in my budget (thanks to going used, I can). 

If you've got the budget for the 10980 XE then fuck yeah! Go for it, sure you'll have a shitload of fun assuming you love the platform. No need to get mean about it to people who reccomend AMD, though to be fair they could probs chill a bit given that you're pretty committed to Intel. At the end of the day you'll be fine, hell I've seen a stock 7900X pushing 144Hz 1080p and 1440p just fine, and the X299 bois were shit on for their "bad gaming performance". If you're doing workstation stuff it'll kick absolute butt too, 18c is still nothing to sneeze at, especially given that the clock overhead is massive compared to AMD's stuff. 

10 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Intel 14nm is shit, rich boy.

Amd is not for broke people, rich boy.

lol. IDK what you're on about, I've had a fuck ton of fun with my Intel shit. My 8600K was one of the "shit" 14nm boyes, thing curbstomped my (much more expensive) 2700X, its family, its relatives, and ran over the family dog, all without breaking a sweat. Absolutely devoured the 2700X in every single game I tried. SLI also played much nicer on Intel than AMD (and I had the nicest AMD mobo you could buy at the time, the aforementioned Crosshair VII Hero). I didn't do a lot of multicore stuff so I never really leveraged the advantage the 2700X had there. 

TL;DR: Neither platform is shit, both have advantages and disadvantages. OP is obviously committed to Intel, no need to harass them over that lmao. Tbh y'all legit make me not want to run AMD purely out of spite, stepping back a bit and taking a chill pill would actually help you out. At this point y'all are making it into a platform war and making your own side look bad. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

lol. IDK what you're on about, I've had a fuck ton of fun with my Intel shit. My 8600K was one of the "shit" 14nm boyes, thing curbstomped my (much more expensive) 2700X, its family, its relatives, and ran over the family dog, all without breaking a sweat. Absolutely devoured the 2700X in every single game I tried. SLI also played much nicer on Intel than AMD (and I had the nicest AMD mobo you could buy at the time, the aforementioned Crosshair VII Hero). I didn't do a lot of multicore stuff so I never really leveraged the advantage the 2700X had there. 

TL;DR: Neither platform is shit, both have advantages and disadvantages. OP is obviously committed to Intel, no need to harass them over that lmao. Tbh y'all legit make me not want to run AMD purely out of spite, stepping back a bit and taking a chill pill would actually help you out. At this point y'all are making it into a platform war and making your own side look bad. 

Only stonk in gaming but not stonk in productivity.

@BecauseICanTBH what workload do you do, specifically?  You might be better served by a much faster 10-14c chip over the 18c equivalent.  The majority of HCC tasks cap out well before 10c/20t, let alone 18c/36t but you'll lose up to .5ghz or more in the clockspeed arena 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, OlympicAssEater said:

Only stonk in gaming but in productivity 2700x will shred your 8600k on stock vs stock.

Yeah. I said that. But...

... If I buy a 1680 v2 from 2013 and slap it to 4.6Ghz all core I can beat a 2700X on every metric even down to input lag. My current 5960X is on par with a 2700X, if I get better cooling I’ll be able to push it farther too, giving me more of a lead and it’s from 2014 and cost me $40 less than my 2700X did on a motherboard that was $190 less, I have 40 PCIe lanes instead of 24, quad channel RAM, and I get to use my favorite motherboard, an EVGA Classified. 

It’s only with the release of Zen 2 that my X99 stuff has lost a lot of its comparative price/perf, but there’s still valid reasons to prefer it. OP has valid reasons to prefer Intel too, why give them shit over it? I don’t go tell people getting Ryzen to buy Intel HEDT instead because I personally prefer it. OP doesn’t really have any reason (that they’ve given so far) to not get Intel. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

23 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah. I said that. But...

... If I buy a 1680 v2 from 2013 and slap it to 4.6Ghz all core I can beat a 2700X on every metric even down to input lag. My current 5960X is on par with a 2700X, if I get better cooling I’ll be able to push it farther too, giving me more of a lead and it’s from 2014 and cost me $40 less than my 2700X did on a motherboard that was $190 less, I have 40 PCIe lanes instead of 24, quad channel RAM, and I get to use my favorite motherboard, an EVGA Classified. 

It’s only with the release of Zen 2 that my X99 stuff has lost a lot of its comparative price/perf, but there’s still valid reasons to prefer it. OP has valid reasons to prefer Intel too, why give them shit over it? I don’t go tell people getting Ryzen to buy Intel HEDT instead because I personally prefer it. OP doesn’t really have any reason (that they’ve given so far) to not get Intel. 

If you oc your 5960x then obviously you will beating 2700x because it is no longer stock on stock comparison. If we compare stock on stock then 2700x is not far behind than 5960x rather neck to neck with 5960x. In addition, 2700x is more future upgradable on AM4 than 5960x and 2700x is a good deal for budget productivity. $190 for a year old 8c/16t cpu. 

Intel 14nm is no exciting anymore than AMD 7nm on Zen 2. Intel is struggling to go away 14nm while AMD done 12nm to 7nm in a year so what give Intel? 8700k vs 9700k is not huge performance different to justify the price for upgrade. Unlike AMD, 2700x vs 3700x is a huge different in productivity.

I use to be Intel gamer but now I am AMD because 3700x vs 9900k is neck to neck on stock. $330 able to hold its ground against over $475.