Indian Twitter users are moving to Mastodon

Mastodon is an open source decentralized alternative to Twitter.  :https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50343054?ocid=socialflow_twitter

We all know that twitter is a cess pool of hate and trolls but due to a suspension of popular lawyer Sanjay Hegde twice the peopl had enough and started flocking to the alternative site which allows federation and openness.

According to the BBC

Some of India's most influential Twitter users are looking to move to little-known network Mastodon amid an outcry over Twitter moderation methods.

So, why were people angry with Twitter?

The anger began to build against the social network - which is said to have more than 30 million users in India alone - after lawyer Sanjay Hegde had his account suspended twice.

The first time was because he had retweeted a 1936 photograph of Nazi Germany in which a German national, August Landmesser, refused to perform the Nazi salute, which Twitter said violated its rules on "hateful imagery".

"After a massive outcry, Twitter restored my account but without the photo," Mr Hegde told the BBC's Krutika Pathi.

Soon after, Twitter took action against his account again, emailing him a notice to take down a tweet from 2017, in which he retweeted a poem that protested against the hanging of two revolutionaries.

He had added the title of the poem - Hang Him - in his tweet, which he believes "triggered some automated bots on Twitter's backend".

The two incidents sparked a larger discussion on how Twitter moderates its content in India, with many saying that the platform tolerates rhetoric against minorities.

Twitter has denied these charges. It put out a statement saying it does not moderate its content based on "ideological or political" viewpoints.

Response of Twitter India:

image.png.51d730d2d1780358ee50b823b4919ffb.png

It is a good move as such because we don't want a single entity controlling the views / narrative to the masses. Mastodon has its own set of rules for each instance and is enforced by real humans. It is a better alternative one which is needed right now for users in India.

A few mastodon instances for reference are linked below.

My Rigs:

Spoiler

System 1:

Spoiler

Purpose: Gaming

OS: Windows 10 Pro | CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 | Mobo: Asrock B150M Pro4 Hyper | GPU: MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G | Storage: 120GB SSD ADATA + 1 TB Seagate Baracuda | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz | PSU: 600 Watt Cooler Master B600 | Display: LG 24MP88HM-S FHD Monitor | Accessories: ASUS Cerberus Gaming KB & Mouse Kit

System 2:

Spoiler

Purpose - NAS/Virtualization

OS: Ubuntu KDE 18.04 | CPU: Core i3 4130 | Mobo: Gigabyte H81M DS2 | RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz | PSU: Corsair VS550 | DVD Drive: LG DVD Multi | Display: Acer G195HQ | Storage: 4TB 1+1+2 | Accessories: Logitech Classic K100 & Leviathan ELE G1 Gaming Mouse.

Laptop: Lenovo Essentials B490

Spoiler

Purpose: Server - HP ProLiant DL360 Gen5

OS: Ubuntu Server 18.04 | CPU: 2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5440 4 Cores | RAM : 16 GB DDR2 ECC | Storage: 146GB SAS Disk

Sound System: Creative SBS A-120 2.1

The website resembles a lot like discord.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I'm all for anything that burns Twitter to the ground, then nukes the ashes. Just to be sure it's dead. It was fun until the Nation-State intelligence agencies figured out how to use it to manipulate things. Writing was on the wall after that.

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'm all for anything that burns Twitter to the ground, then nukes the ashes. Just to be sure it's dead. It was fun until the Nation-State intelligence agencies figured out how to use it to manipulate things. Writing was on the wall after that.

Spoiler

Why stop at Twitter. 

On 11/10/2019 at 5:44 PM, SlimyPython said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Why stop at anything

"I do not know with what websites Web 3.0 will be fought, but Web 4.0 will be fought with BBS." 

- Al Gore, probably

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

"Twitter does not moderate content based on "ideological or political" viewpoints".

That's complete horseshit.

Couldn't agree more.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

On 11/10/2019 at 6:56 PM, williamcll said:

The website resembles a lot like discord.

You also get different front ends. Like Pinafore and Halcyon and Others.

My Rigs:

Spoiler

System 1:

Spoiler

OS: Windows 10 Pro | CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 | Mobo: Asrock B150M Pro4 Hyper | GPU: MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G | Storage: 120GB SSD ADATA + 1 TB Seagate Baracuda | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz | PSU: 600 Watt Cooler Master B600 | Display: LG 24MP88HM-S FHD Monitor | Accessories: ASUS Cerberus Gaming KB & Mouse Kit

System 2:

Spoiler

OS: Ubuntu KDE 18.04 | CPU: Core i3 4130 | Mobo: Gigabyte H81M DS2 | RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz | PSU: Corsair VS550 | DVD Drive: LG DVD Multi | Display: Acer G195HQ | Storage: 4TB 1+1+2 | Accessories: Logitech Classic K100 & Leviathan ELE G1 Gaming Mouse.

Spoiler

OS: Ubuntu Server 18.04 | CPU: 2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5440 4 Cores | RAM : 16 GB DDR2 ECC | Storage: 146GB SAS Disk

On 11/10/2019 at 8:08 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

Sadly it is used heavily for PR and Propaganda, as it is very effective.(Just like Facebook and WhatsApp too.) (In India)

My Rigs:

Spoiler

System 1:

Spoiler

System 2:

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 11/11/2019 at 5:14 AM, SlimyPython said:
  Hide contents

Why stop at anything

We just need to drop twitter/facebook/centralized media.

We need to ask Linus to drop them it will be permanent after that.

My Rigs:

Spoiler

System 1:

Spoiler

System 2:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

"Twitter does not moderate content based on "ideological or political" viewpoints".

Hah yeah!

My Rigs:

Spoiler

System 1:

Spoiler

System 2:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

It's not moderating based on ideological/political viewpoints it's "removing wrongthink"...

On 11/11/2019 at 3:38 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

omg follow me link in bio. ??

Well okay, let them. I dont want indian people to leave twitter but I'm not gonna stop them, they are on the same level as russians for me, They can be annoying and I cant understand them all the time but they can also be great team-mates and You can learn alot from the videos they upload.

Anyone remember voat.co? It was touted as a cool and freedom respecting alternative to Reddit. I checked it out a few times and it seemed like it was co-opted by the alt-right. Don't know how it looks right now because it seems that you have to have an account to see what's going on.

Now I'm not saying that the same will happen with Mastodon, but it's a possibility if they're really going to be unmoderated like that. Personally I don't even use Twitter but I'm curious to see how this will unfold.

1 hour ago, CookieSmasherGus said:

Anyone remember voat.co? It was touted as a cool and freedom respecting alternative to Reddit. I checked it out a few times and it seemed like it was co-opted by the alt-right. Don't know how it looks right now because it seems that you have to have an account to see what's going on.

Now I'm not saying that the same will happen with Mastodon, but it's a possibility if they're really going to be unmoderated like that. Personally I don't even use Twitter but I'm curious to see how this will unfold.

Seems like voat.co is moderated but barely any limits. I guess the alt-right is the more vocal part of the site. I guess any site would tend to lean more to alt-right if unmoderated as they are the more vocal group. We have to see what happens to mastodon, if truly unmoderated it will become a shitshow within a week.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:17 PM, Navneet said:

Mastodon has its own set of rules for each instance and is enforced by real humans.

Only until it becomes too big and impractical, then they have to rely on automation and then it will become just as bad as the others.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.