Steam interface update

wasab

download.thumb.png.0cfe8a50e3c0686a9d92a48cbad1dfea.png

What do you think of valve's new updates to their steam user interface? I personally think it is ugly. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I like it. Was kinda shocked when I noticed it yesterday.

12 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

That being said, the use of space is fucking laughable once you go above 1920x1080. This is how a game selection screen looks at 2560x1600.

I mean, yeh, when you are looking at a single game. But I like the layout for the 'Home' now.

Spoiler

Capture.thumb.PNG.7696af1aa491a7a66a21ecadb37339a5.PNG

Here is the game page at 2160p, by the way:

Spoiler

Capture1.thumb.PNG.4fa3e3471530fa997d32cee54774655b.PNG

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

awful 

oh so many things wrong with it, for one gone are the options to resize the tiles, half of steam tiles are broken, it's so redundant having right side and left showing the same damn thing. gone is the mini mode, can't sort by release date in grid mode, most of the games dont have release date and says "unknown" in a awful list style sort, can't rearrange games in collections, if you set one thing to sort by type in one collections it puts the same sort to all the collections, most importantly i want my purple theme back.

dafuq are these 
15jywrps03w31.png

most games dont sort by release date 

l0xkk0ow93w31.png 

wtf is this? i just want to rearrange them in release date order, why is it showing list ?

a15bnl2193w31.png

even new games have broken tiles 

lglraip6s0w31.png

why did they remove resizing ? 

7gxp0v0ep0w31.png

i dont even know what's happening here, which was game came first again ?

image.png.981df049f5e45e8824d293884c0f2fed.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

48 minutes ago, wasab said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61adownload.thumb.png.0cfe8a50e3c0686a9d92a48cbad1dfea.png

What do you think of valve's new updates to their steam user interface? I personally think it is ugly. 

Wastes tremendous amounts of space.  Also it seems slow and buggy.  I’ve had it lock on me a couple times.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I like it, the old layout was outdated as shit.

Also if you think it's a waste of space, just make the window smaller. I would rather have unused space then have every blank spot filled with ads or irrelevant information

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61adownload.thumb.png.0cfe8a50e3c0686a9d92a48cbad1dfea.png

Oh joy, Steam discovered how to do awful CEF applications too. Please Steam, these are not mobile phones, why are you making it look like nVidia Experience, (which is also terrible, but you know why they did this... so controllers can be used to navigate it.)

Can you tell the difference?

steamnew.thumb.png.a76477d935f1c3b4b8859f25ba8f8c75.pngnVidiaExp.thumb.png.daa3ac0500e1dc2722bcbeee8a27aa42.png

I'm a big fan I've been testing beta builds on Steam for years and this has been out for a little over month for those that have beta versions enabled. I like it much more than the old UI.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

(which is also terrible, but you know why they did this... so controllers can be used to navigate it.)

Not at all why it is like this now, big picture mode is for controllers and is still pretty much the same, they haven't done an overhaul like this to Steam in years. More than likely they are just trying to modernize the platform and while taking time to get used to it is a pain, once you do it's noticeably nicer.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Not at all why it is like this now, big picture mode is for controllers and is still pretty much the same, they haven't done an overhaul like this to Steam in years. More than likely they are just trying to modernize the platform and while taking time to get used to it is a pain, once you do it's noticeably nicer.

Pfft. Doubtful. Every decision Valve makes for Steam always ends up being anti-consumer in some way, that I wouldn't put it past someone in the board room going "can we rip off nVidia experience/AMD Raptr" (Raptr predated nVidia Experience I believe.)

8 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Pfft. Doubtful. Every decision Valve makes for Steam always ends up being anti-consumer in some way, that I wouldn't put it past someone in the board room going "can we rip off nVidia experience/AMD Raptr" (Raptr predated nVidia Experience I believe.)

If you actually look at what I said, and quoted from you, I did not mention them copying or ripping off Nvidia at all. What I was referring to was you saying they did the update for controller support which is un-true it was to modernize the look of the platform. Nothing more. It's clearly a rip-off Geforce Experience, I never said it wasn't.

14 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If you actually look at what I said, and quoted from you, I did not mention them copying or ripping off Nvidia at all. What I was referring to was you saying they did the update for controller support which is un-true it was to modernize the look of the platform. Nothing more. It's clearly a rip-off Geforce Experience, I never said it wasn't.

Well they clearly didn't do it for touch screens, so it must be emulating the smart-tv "app grid", so if it's not for controllers, it's probably for some piece of hardware they haven't released yet. This is style is utterly annoying to use with a mouse, just like ALL mobile ports are.

wait wait wait... maybe they are intending to make phones/tablets work in something like the big picture mode. The nVidia experience looks the way it does because of the nVidia Shield box which uses a controller interface.

11 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

oh so many things wrong with it, for one gone are the options to resize the tiles, half of steam tiles are broken, it's so redundant having right side and left showing the same damn thing. gone is the mini mode, can't sort by release date in grid mode, most of the games dont have release date and says "unknown" in a awful list style sort, can't rearrange games in collections, if you set one thing to sort by type in one collections it puts the same sort to all the collections, most importantly i want my purple theme back.

I've gotten access to Galaxy 2.0, and I'm just going to go ahead and not use Steam from now on. 2.0 literally has all this shit sorted out way better, like, literally every complaint you have with the new Steam UI is already done and implemented in the early beta build of 2.0.

Except it also combines all of your libraries and auto tags them with better cover images, and you can do list views, etc.

10 hours ago, Arika S said:

I like it, the old layout was outdated as shit.

Also if you think it's a waste of space, just make the window smaller. I would rather have unused space then have every blank spot filled with ads or irrelevant information

The old layout was outdated as shit, and I hated it, but that's no excuse to replace it with something worse and less functional because it's new.

And it's showing a shit ton of irrelevant information on the game pages, it makes me freak out and feel physically ill just seeing all that crap posted everywhere.

9 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Untitled.png.d3737e2fd41c92b90179121d4b041099.png

You know what a good UI does? It stays the hell out of your way. If it's done properly you won't even notice it, you don't have to come up with work-arounds or just get used to it. It just works off the bat. If the users first experience is "Holy shit, this is awful, why can't I do anything I like?" that's a key indicator of bad UI. It doesn't matter if you can get used to it.

#Muricaparrotgang

I got it since beta like a month or 2 ago? I like it.

GOG 2.0 game library is better imo. If it also include Steam news section that'll be better.

11 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

wtf is this? i just want to rearrange them in release date order, why is it showing list ?

Home screen, Add Shelf > All Games > Sort by release date? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

GOG 2.0 game library is better imo. If it also include Steam news section that'll be better.

Then you'll have 25 games between each of the titles on a series.

#Muricaparrotgang

9 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Then you'll have 25 games between each of the titles on a series.

Sorry i don't understand, where? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

steam has always been and always will be an ugly heap, we just need skin compatibility

steam is the only one who got it right though, so theres that. Everything else is 100000000x worse

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Sorry i don't understand, where? 

If he wants Hitman in chronological order, but your suggestion is to have all games listed by release date, it reasons that some games will have released between the 2 year time period between releases. So it won't be Hitman 1, 2, 3, it'll be Hitman, Game x, Hitman 2, etc...

1 hour ago, RelativeMono said:

steam has always been and always will be an ugly heap, we just need skin compatibility

steam is the only one who got it right though, so theres that. Everything else is 100000000x worse

False. Galaxy 2.0 I'm pretty happy with, as long as they add a few things before release.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

that was the point what the fuck is that? i want them to sort by release date in grid form not a fucking list. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

You know what a good UI does? It stays the hell out of your way. If it's done properly you won't even notice it, you don't have to come up with work-arounds or just get used to it. It just works off the bat. If the users first experience is "Holy shit, this is awful, why can't I do anything I like?" that's a key indicator of bad UI. It doesn't matter if you can get used to it.

Nice of you to include the whole Stockholm Syndrome definition, all be it, completely unnecessary. I'm not trying to argue with you guys about a game platform and I'm not such a big Valve fanboy that it's biasing my opinion(which by the way everything we say or state on here about what we think on this subject are just opinions). My whole point in saying "getting used to it" is referring to how different it is compared to the old one that it's going to take some users time to get used to the new look and how it's setup now, not that it's bad and they just have to get over it but, it's like you were to get a new phone and it's a slightly newer UI(like most platform/UI upgrades) and it takes you a minute to figure out where everything is and you know break it in. Whenever anything get's an upgrade or has a big overhaul like this you get people that are mad and are resistant to change, I honestly could care less how a game platform looks, as long as it works it's fine with me. I use GOG, Steam, Uplay, Origin, and etc. I honestly couldn't give less of a fuck at this point how they look as long as I can still play my games and use the features I like, and having used the "new" Steam for over a month now and haven't had any negative experiences where it has once affected me in playing my games or using any of the features that I use, I can say I really don't mind it, it's quite nice having a visually different look with Steam now it's been stale for awhile and it's refreshing to see it changed up and modernized. But like I said earlier this is just my opinion.

It's worse than I ever imagined.  It's indeed very ugly.  Strangely I do not like silver - grey - blueish... 

I also find the idea of having tiny pictures to represent your games as some sort of "game wall" extremely off putting. 

Lastly I think it's very sad they don't support proper skin integration or at least default color changes.  Not even a night mode. 

I would honestly prefer not having a "launcher" at all (that BTW suddenly uses south of 300MB RAM, to display the color grey...) 

I'd prefer physical and I wouldn't mind putting in keys again,  that worked very well 12-15  years ago and I miss not being able to sell the games I don't like or have finished,  I'm not a hoarder person and to me it's simply an unnecessary financial loss. 

I will however switch as soon there's a competitor with better features... 

Which all things considered seems highly unlikely. (no interest in epic, they're even worse than steam imo) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Nice of you to include the whole Stockholm Syndrome definition, all be it, completely unnecessary. I'm not trying to argue with you guys about a game platform and I'm not such a big Valve fanboy that it's biasing my opinion(which by the way everything we say or state on here about what we think on this subject are just opinions). My whole point in saying "getting used to it" is referring to how different it is compared to the old one that it's going to take some users time to get used to the new look and how it's setup now, not that it's bad and they just have to get over it but, it's like you were to get a new phone and it's a slightly newer UI(like most platform/UI upgrades) and it takes you a minute to figure out where everything is and you know break it in. Whenever anything get's an upgrade or has a big overhaul like this you get people that are mad and are resistant to change, I honestly could care less how a game platform looks, as long as it works it's fine with me. I use GOG, Steam, Uplay, Origin, and etc. I honestly couldn't give less of a fuck at this point how they look as long as I can still play my games and use the features I like, and having used the "new" Steam for over a month now and haven't had any negative experiences where it has once affected me in playing my games or using any of the features that I use, I can say I really don't mind it, it's quite nice having a visually different look with Steam now it's been stale for awhile and it's refreshing to see it changed up and modernized. But like I said earlier this is just my opinion.

I thought it was funny. But watch the videos I linked. Sure, you can get used to bad UI, but just because you get used to it doesn't make it good, and it doesn't change the fact that it removed features, is slow to use, completely uncustomizeable, buggy, cluttered, and lacking of meaningful information while being littered with useless fluff.

The "People are resistant to change" only holds true for minor modifications. Did you play The Witcher 3 at launch? Did you keep it updated? Remember how many revisions of UI they went through because it was very not great to begin with, and they ended with something FAR more user friendly and intuitive to use? No one complained about those changes. People don't complain about good changes or more features and options. People complain about updates that remove features and actively impede you from trying to accomplish your goal. The new Steam UI is worse than the old in a large number of ways, and the only positives are that you can toggle between grouping based on your tags, though only in the sidebar list, and multi-tag selection. Toss in grid view I guess, but the tiles are too big with no way to make them smaller so you get less information on screen.

Another good example is Blender on the switch to 2.8, or from 2.3 to 2.4, both were completely massive UI changes, but it was far more user friendly in both instances and actually has lots of positive feedback, along with OPTIONS to change stuff to your liking.

#Muricaparrotgang

Oh steam, how I hate thou.

Their interface is an absolute nightmare with vr titles...Steam has been and always will be a steaming (no pun intended) pile of shit