TESLA Turn A Profit! (0.80USD per share)

GOTSpectrum

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/23/tesla-2019-q3-earnings/

Tesla had hoped to deliver 100,000 vehicles during the second half of 2019. The company has fallen short but just barely. More importantly, it was able to turn a $143 million profit and it reports that the Shanghai plant is ahead of schedule.

The real question is here, have they really made a profit or is it creative book-keeping, I heard the guys over at Tesla are good at cooking....

Tesla says it was able to turn a $143 million profit by lowering operating costs.

They have been kicking some large number of staff out the door, but its hard to imagine that this alone has made such a massive difference.

Today's numbers are just shy of the company's hope to produce 100,000 during the quarter. Still, it's the largest amount of Teslas being built in a single quarter.

They are still looking to hit that number they have been promising for some time, but, if the profit isn't simply a one off, I can see them being able to put in the investments they need to hit and exceed they target sooner rather than later.

the company announced that it was beginning vehicle production in its new Shanghai Gigafactory on a trial basis. 

I think we need to look at Tesla closely over the nest few quarters, they really are under pressure to prove they can make it, especially in china, and the world looks at them as market leaders in EV technology and use it as a metric for the whole market, even if this is wrong realistically. 

Today's news pushed the stock up to $299.44 in after-hours trading when this piece was published.

This is one reason I am always dubious on what Tesla claim to made a profit.

I'm not one for posting news so if anything is amiss let me know, but I couldn't see anyone having posted this one yet, I'm really excited to see if Tesla can make it, not only are they into EVs but also grid scale batteries and solar installations. The truth is they don't have much special, secret sauce for the most part that make them much better than the competition, but one more EV company turning a profit is a step in the right direction in my book.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

elon has done some dumb things but i think hes probably not that dumb also theres people at tesla that would probably object to such a practice. but idk whether to believe them on the shanghai plant or not thats the problem with a guy as "optimistic" as elon

Maybe one day I will have enough money to afford a car, let alone a tesla.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

Maybe one day I will have enough money to afford a car, let alone a tesla.

a model 3 is actually really damn cheap

5 hours ago, COTG said:

a model 3 is actually really damn cheap

It is relative. I can buy 3 of my current car, NEW, for the price of a basic Model 3.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

A used 2006 Corolla/Civic etc is cheaper, way the hell cheaper.

Also, do the math on a carbon footprint of the total use of a second hand car. ;)

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Also, do the math on a carbon footprint of the total use of a second hand car. ;)

Unfortunately, not everyone has the funds available to care much for the environment. The fact that being eco-friendly or not is a choice of economy rather than morality is still a hard pill to swallow. The time will come when that isn't the case. But, for now, we will have to take it as it comes. 

For myself, I was a competitive cyclist a few years ago, I cycled everywhere, to work, uni, for social events. But, unfortunately, I am not able to cycle at all anymore due to medical reasons. I'm relegated to taking fossil fuelled transportation, to which I am quite unhappy. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Unfortunately, not everyone has the funds available to care much for the environment. The fact that being eco-friendly or not is a choice of economy rather than morality is still a hard pill to swallow. The time will come when that isn't the case. But, for now, we will have to take it as it comes. 

For myself, I was a competitive cyclist a few years ago, I cycled everywhere, to work, uni, for social events. But, unfortunately, I am not able to cycle at all anymore due to medical reasons. I'm relegated to taking fossil fuelled transportation, to which I am quite unhappy. 

Um... as said. Check the carbon footprint of buying old second hand. You may be surprised it's the opposite to what you think I was suggesting:

59679c1a3cec27495751030.png

* A lifespan of 135,000 miles is the figure used for US midsize cars by the UCS in their 2015 report, Cleaner Cars from Cradle to Grave. The Dutch TNO’s lifespan assumption (used for these calculations) is a shade longer: 220,000 km (or 136,700 mi).

(Yet somehow they also argue that electric cars are "always green", which... um, is some mental gymnastics if I ever saw it)

https://thecorrespondent.com/7056/why-electric-cars-are-always-green-and-how-they-could-get-greener/741917761200-afaa6e5d

And that's buying new. Depends on the "life" of the car though, but making a petrol car last a long time, is kinda fine for the environment. Production churn seems more a problem than general use (electric lights/heating/transportation vs constant waste in the economy).

Ah, pic is carbon use in fuel *production*, this one is in fuel *consumption*:* A lifespan of 135,000 miles is the figure used for US midsize cars by the UCS in their 2015 report, Cleaner Cars from Cradle to Grave. The Dutch TNO’s lifespan assumption (used for these calculations) is a shade longer: 220,000 km (or 136,700 mi).

Which is still partially unfair IMO as it does not take into account losses in the electric side. But obviously, not the same. The cars use is much higher.* A lifespan of 135,000 miles is the figure used for US midsize cars by the UCS in their 2015 report, Cleaner Cars from Cradle to Grave. The Dutch TNO’s lifespan assumption (used for these calculations) is a shade longer: 220,000 km (or 136,700 mi).

Oh, only a little bit higher then? So no worries. If you only get an electric car when it's affordable, you'll be helping a little. If you don't get one now? It's not killing the world in comparison (in the grand scheme of things, that 10 metric tons is nothing short term to worry about).

15 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Random thoughts: let's separate hardware from running impact. If we assume both types of car are similarly costly to produce and recycle, then the difference in carbon will be mainly due to fuel and efficient usage. How is the electricity generated? What's the mix of coal, oil, gas, hydro, solar, wind, nuclear? Options are more limited on combustion engines, but petrol is often a blend of biofuel which could lessen its impact somewhat. Even features like regenerative breaking could be used with either (more hybrid in the liquid fuel sense). Not making a judgement on "best" here, but there are degrees of effectiveness. It isn't black and white (or green).

Edit: note the previous post wasn't up when I hit post.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Random thoughts: let's separate hardware from running impact. If we assume both types of car are similarly costly to produce and recycle, then the difference in carbon will be mainly due to fuel and efficient usage. How is the electricity generated? What's the mix of coal, oil, gas, hydro, solar, wind, nuclear? Options are more limited on combustion engines, but petrol is often a blend of biofuel which could lessen its impact somewhat. Even features like regenerative breaking could be used with either (more hybrid in the liquid fuel sense). Not making a judgement on "best" here, but there are degrees of effectiveness. It isn't black and white (or green).

Edit: note the previous post wasn't up when I hit post.

Don't make assumptions. If separating to consider, then reintegrate to conclude.

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

-Snip-

I thought you was talking about it the other way around, as in you were saying the electric was better.

As far as the power goes, if I were to own an electric car, I pay extra for 100% renewable power, I use a fair amount of electric due to running folding@home 24/7 so I pay extra for that green stuff.

But I agree, one thing that many don't take into account though is congestion charges here in London and soon other large cities too, they charge you based on your emission. There's more to being environmentally friendly that pure greenhouse emissions, such as localised air quality.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, TechyBen said:

Don't make assumptions. If separating to consider, then reintegrate to conclude.

Separation was to make it easier to think through. Not suggesting either should be ignored over the other, and I certainly wasn't attempting to reach a conclusion. Also I will only take it as far as assumption, as to work out detail like indicated in your previous post is not a trivial exercise.

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

I thought you was talking about it the other way around, as in you were saying the electric was better.

As far as the power goes, if I were to own an electric car, I pay extra for 100% renewable power, I use a fair amount of electric due to running folding@home 24/7 so I pay extra for that green stuff.

But I agree, one thing that many don't take into account though is congestion charges here in London and soon other large cities too, they charge you based on your emission. There's more to being environmentally friendly that pure greenhouse emissions, such as localised air quality.

That's the trick in getting someone to learn. I said neither was better, but that you'd (or any reader) might be surprised to see the reality.

As Porina said, the fuel production actually makes a difference. Strange thing is, biofuels might take up MORE carbon footprint to produce (unlike they assume they don't). It depends on the fertilizer/land use and how it's produced. AFAIK biofuel is used due to supply vs demand needs, not eco friendly needs.

Something to keep in mind: biofuels still pollute carbon. They are just made from plants (corn is a big one) so they can be considered renewable. 

Also when talking about carbon emissions over the lifetime of a vehicle, it highly depends on your grid source. But even with a dirty grid primarily using coal, it’ll still be greener over 10 years. 

And on top of that, you can buy used EV’s (or used Hybrids). 

In the US you can even buy a Prius battery kit for around $1000-$1500 and swap a battery yourself with only a few tools and basic skill. Go buy a used Prius with a dead battery for like $4000-$5000. Full EV batteries cost more of course, but EV batteries last a lot longer than people think. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

but EV batteries last a lot longer than people think. 

It really depends on cooling, the leaf with passive battery pack cooling have EVs a bad rep. With a good BMS and thermal control battery lifespan can be multiplied a few times. Turning 3-5 years into 10-15 years. Especially when vehicles like Tesla's purposefully have larger battery capacity than can be used to make the degradation less noticeable over time.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

Oh, only a little bit higher then? So no worries. If you only get an electric car when it's affordable, you'll be helping a little. If you don't get one now? It's not killing the world in comparison (in the grand scheme of things, that 10 metric tons is nothing short term to worry about).

None of that factors in the cost saving from health factors as the cities will have cleaner air quality. It's not always about how much but also where and how easily you can treat or capture the emissions.

Not everyone can tow a green house emissions treatment trailer ?

Image result for top gear green house trailer

@leadeater now if only every SUV in America had one of those xD

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Check out the tomatoes per mile on that!

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

None of that factors in the cost saving from health factors as the cities will have cleaner air quality. It's not always about how much but also where and how easily you can treat or capture the emissions.

Image result for top gear green house trailer

Kinda. Our town has a power plant right there in it... so not much for "cleaner" air. Though yeah, power plant fumes vs car exhaust is still cleaner I guess.

Unintended consequences and all that. I would say it's helping. But other than drastic changes, won't have drastic effects.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Something to keep in mind: biofuels still pollute carbon. They are just made from plants (corn is a big one) so they can be considered renewable. 

Also when talking about carbon emissions over the lifetime of a vehicle, it highly depends on your grid source. But even with a dirty grid primarily using coal, it’ll still be greener over 10 years. 

And on top of that, you can buy used EV’s (or used Hybrids). 

In the US you can even buy a Prius battery kit for around $1000-$1500 and swap a battery yourself with only a few tools and basic skill. Go buy a used Prius with a dead battery for like $4000-$5000. Full EV batteries cost more of course, but EV batteries last a lot longer than people think. 

but isnt theoretically the carbon net zero since the plants got the carbon by taking it out of the air 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

but isnt theoretically the carbon net zero since the plants got the carbon by taking it out of the air 

But most farms use fertilisers and fuels that are not carbon neutral to produce the plans. So that, although the plan material is directly, the production overall isn't. Not to mention the power that is used during the production either. So theoretically, yes, in practice, no. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I would love to buy a tesla but i have read many horror stories of their after sales support. Wait times for maintenance take months and god forbid you get into a minor fender bender. You will wait for almost a year for a replacement part. I really want Tesla to succeed but looking at they way they are operating, i don't think it will be sustainable in the long term. 

Main Workhorse:-

Dual Xeon E5-2687W v3 | SuperMicro X10DAi Dual Socket Workstation Board | 64GB ECC DDR4 2400Mhz | Intel DC Series 500GB SSD | EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X | Seagate 7200rpm 2TB | SuperMicro Gold Series 1Kw PSU | SuperMicro EATX Chassis | LG Ultrawide 34inch 75hz | LG 1080p 22inch IPS 75hz | Ubuntu 19.10 x64 |

Server:-

Dual Xeon E5-2680 v1  | SuperMicro X9DRW-3LN4F+ Server Board | 64GB ECC DDR3 1600Mhz | 7 x Intel DC Series 500GB SSD's | SuperMicro SuperChasis SC119TQ-R700WB 1U | Redundant 450w Gold rated PSU's | ESXi 6.7

Laptop:-

2018 15 inch Apple Macbook Pro Touchbar with 16GB Memory and 256GB NVMe

1 minute ago, ManyCoresGuy said:

I would love to buy a tesla but i have read many horror stories of their after sales support. Wait times for maintenance take months and god forbid you get into a minor fender bender. You will wait for almost a year for a replacement part. I really want Tesla to succeed but looking at they way they are operating, i don't think it will be sustainable in the long term. 

Honestly, I kinda agree. But many of these issues are caused by the need to use every part for complete vehicles to get profit. Once they are making a profit they will be able to produce more replacement parts hopefully and that will in turn ease many of the after sales issues.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Honestly, I kinda agree. But many of these issues are caused by the need to use every part for complete vehicles to get profit. Once they are making a profit they will be able to produce more replacement parts hopefully and that will in turn ease many of the after sales issues.

Only problem is that they have been in this predicament since the day they released the model s.  At this point, they really need to embrace the aftermarket. You can't treat a car like a iPhone, it just doesn't work in the long run. 

Main Workhorse:-

Dual Xeon E5-2687W v3 | SuperMicro X10DAi Dual Socket Workstation Board | 64GB ECC DDR4 2400Mhz | Intel DC Series 500GB SSD | EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X | Seagate 7200rpm 2TB | SuperMicro Gold Series 1Kw PSU | SuperMicro EATX Chassis | LG Ultrawide 34inch 75hz | LG 1080p 22inch IPS 75hz | Ubuntu 19.10 x64 |

Server:-

Dual Xeon E5-2680 v1  | SuperMicro X9DRW-3LN4F+ Server Board | 64GB ECC DDR3 1600Mhz | 7 x Intel DC Series 500GB SSD's | SuperMicro SuperChasis SC119TQ-R700WB 1U | Redundant 450w Gold rated PSU's | ESXi 6.7

Laptop:-

2018 15 inch Apple Macbook Pro Touchbar with 16GB Memory and 256GB NVMe