Use laptop display for xbox one s?

HummusCake

So basically, if i use a hdmi into an xbox and into my laptop, the xbox will display on my screen? or do i have to press F8 (the icon with the 2 screens) and then will it show up? Or do i use windows settings? Please help someone

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

fastest boot time, 6.5 seconds

It is very rare to incounter a laptop with a HDMI in port. An HDMI in port is what you'll need if you want an external device, e.g. Xbox to show up on your laptop screen. 

Doesnt everything have a hdmi in port?

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

Laptops don't have "video in" ports, only "video out". So it won't work.

You would need a capture card

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Laptops don't have "video in" ports, only "video out". So it won't work.

You would need a capture card

oh so something like elgato? But then a monitor would probably cheaper i think

2 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

Doesnt everything have a hdmi in port?

Think of hdmi like a river. It can only flow one way.

Computers/consoles have the start of the river (video out), and monitors/TV's have the end of the river (video in). It can't flow between a video out and a video out, what you are proposing here.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Think of hdmi like a river. It can only flow one way.

Computers/consoles have the start of the river (video out), and monitors/TV's have the end of the river (video in). It can't flow between a video out and a video our, what you are proposing here.

Oh i see what you mean, thanks

1 minute ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

oh so something like elgato? But then a monitor would probably cheaper i think

Yea, if you go used, you can find really good office monitors for like 20$.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Yea, if you go used, you can find really good office monitors for like 20$.

Yeah, as long as it doesnt look like my school monitors, but a decent acer monitor for like $40 look quite modern

So i'm getting a Xbox one s (sad edition) and it has HDMI in and out, My laptop has 1 hdmi port but people say to use laptop as monitor for xbox you need to have a hdmi out port, but it doesn't say on my hdmi port that's it is in or out

So i'm getting a Xbox one s (sad edition) and it has HDMI in and out, My laptop has 1 hdmi port but people say to use laptop as monitor for xbox you need to have a hdmi out port, but it doesn't say on my hdmi port that's it is in or out

You won't be able to use your Xbox with your laptop like that. The name says it all. An HDMI in is an input (takes in signals) and an HDMI out is an output (sends out signals). Your laptop has an output.

You cannot use a laptop as a display for a console without a capture card. Laptop HDMI ports are always output only. And the process of setting up a capture card is difficult, and the cards themselves are expensive. 

Specs of The Battlestation:             CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X             Motherboard: AORUS AX-370 Gaming 5             RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz

Case: NZXT H710                           Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 SC Hybrid             Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W Gold+  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Built 7 custom machines. Resident Tech Support Agent. Proficient in C#, JavaScript, and Sindarin Elvish. Loyal Member of House Ravenclaw. Ask me a question about hardware, and I can probably answer it.

Just now, TheDragonHawk said:

You cannot use a laptop as a display for a console without a capture card. Laptop HDMI ports are always output only. And the process of setting up a capture card is difficult, and the cards themselves are expensive. 

Not to mention the introduction of lag from a capture card.

Just now, Lenovo1984 said:

Not to mention the introduction of lag from a capture card.

Meh. Generally it's hardly significant unless you're just setting something up wrong or your laptop can't handle it.

Source: I've played an Xbox 360 via HDMI on a capture card many times. Barely felt any more sluggish than the 360 already is.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Meh. Generally it's hardly significant unless you're just setting something up wrong or your laptop can't handle it.

Source: I've played an Xbox 360 via HDMI on a capture card many times. Barely felt any more sluggish than the 360 already is.

Yeah, I guess it isn't too bad.

Well my laptop is quite beefy, i saw a youtube comment saying razer and alienware usually have IN ports, so would it work?

Is there a hdmi converter? Like a out to in

Just now, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

Yes, a capture card. It is an external box.

1 minute ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

Look at my answer from last time, HDMI is a river, you can't do a 180 of a river.

Only a capture card can take hdmi in.

Well my laptop is quite beefy, i saw a youtube comment saying razer and alienware usually have IN ports, so would it work?

Your laptop still doesn't have an HDMI in port, only some very old alienware laptops had that.

No matter how many times you ask that question, the answer isn't going to change.

I could just get a monitor but then again, amazon sell expensive ones and ebay has refurbished/used monitors and they look like they made in 2010

4 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

I could just get a monitor but then again, amazon sell expensive ones and ebay has refurbished/used monitors and they look like they made in 2010

For $40 you just can't expect to get a beatiful stylish modern display with all the bells and whistles. What is your definition of expensive? You can get 1080p monitors on Amazon for less than $100.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

For $40 you just can't expect to get a beatiful stylish modern display with all the bells and whistles. What is your definition of expensive? You can get 1080p monitors on Amazon for less than $100.

Like look at this monitor. It looks fine and it has a decent picture quality for about £30 yet no hdmi. as long as it looks fairly new and not like the monitors at my school 

image.png

If that monitor has DVI, you could get a DVI-HDMI converter.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, CTR640 said:

If that monitor has DVI, you could get a DVI-HDMI converter.

true, will the quality/speed be any different? because i don't know how response times and ms works on a monitor