Where do you draw the line on technology in your life?

BecauseICanTBH
3 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Basically I draw the line based on how easy it is to turn off/get rid of/opt out of/ a certain device or service. I'm fine with most things, because most things are easy to opt out of, deactivate or even destroy when there's a reason to do so.

This, if i can take it back easy enough, almost anything goes.  and how much of a burden it actually becomes. if its more of a burden to use smart features, then it doesnt need to exist.  somebody else used the example of a smart dishwasher.  if it doesnt load itself, and i can just start it remotely, its pointless. its less work to just start it.

i also wont replace locks with smart or digital anything. physical locks every time. we're at the point in technology where everything is hackable. im not going to risk the security of literally everything, to something i cant physical secure.

i dont mind home assistants, i have a google home that just sits on my desk and occasionally ill ask it for the weather forecast or expected traffic while im getting ready for work.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

things that could be implanted in me that could control me i would draw the line at, other then that a modern smart phone has everything on it that the government needs to spy on your every move anyway.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

I'm fine with most tech. I will NOT:

• Buy a home assistant like Alexa (I have no use for them)

• Get network controlled home appliances (like freaking wifi controlled light bulbs)

• Always wear a smartwatch (Isn't my phone close enough?)

• Get any sort of implant unless my life depends on it

Other than that, I'm good.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

My line basically goes if I can see a benefit or fun with it and it isn't too unsafe/expensive.

Like I see zero benefit with smart toaster or whatever.

4G is fast enough for me currently, so don't see the point of 5G yet. Especially when the data limits are and cost what they do here. Who knows in the future tho with that one.

Implants? I am completely fine of it's better than my biological ones, and I don't risk my own life too much (security).

Self driving cars? Yes, when they require zero human input, please come faster.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, Mihle said:

My line basically goes if I can see a benefit or fun with it and it isn't too unsafe/expensive.

Like I see zero benefit with smart toaster or whatever.

4G is fast enough for me currently, so don't see the point of 5G yet. Especially when the data limits are and cost what they do here. Who knows in the future tho with that one.

Implants? I am completely fine of it's better than my biological ones, and I don't risk my own life too much (security).

Self driving cars? Yes, when they require zero human input, please come faster.

Merging myself with a computer.

Humans simply dont have the brain capability to understand anything above our eyes.  Merging with computers would be an instant immense knowledge for that person. Instant understanding of everything, imo anyway. I reckon the answer is right infront of us but we are all just too blunt to understand the immense everything everything is - Im not sure whether i fear that or look forward to it, but i would volunteer putting myself in a computer.

4 minutes ago, Mihle said:

so don't see the point of 5G yet.

Many think its going to compete with Wired Broadband providers. Providing many of us with some form of competition. 

27 minutes ago, TrainFan2019 said:

Buy a home assistant like Alexa (I have no use for them)

My sister has multiple Google Home's in here home. I dont trust them. I have a cell phone, thats enough for the NSA to listen in. I dont get why people would put NSA listening boxes around their house. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

When social media has a whole separate site (like how FB is different to Twitter) dedicated to rating your farts that your home assistant uploads.  And from a high rating you get discounts.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

We all say these things but then we all know we're just going to follow the lead anyway when it comes down to it. Some people said they would never buy an SSD because they weren't that much better than HDDs and they wouldn't last as long. 

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Just a quote I thought I'd put in, for some reason

640K ought to be enough for anyone

What limit? To me, it sounds kind of like this:

Wi-Fi. I'll probably never get a phone that is even hardware-capable of Wi-Fi. I don't want that around me.

3D games and CAD. Too disconnected from real life. Unnecessary and intrusive to the mind. That includes arcade machines. 35mm film is my limit for that type.

Network connected phones, laptops, etc. I demand full, analog control over that type of stuff, and wouldn't expose things in my home to potential hacking. I won't buy anything like that if it has the hardware for wifi/bluetooth connectivity. I'm all for robotics making my life easier, but not if they're connected to the internet.

Home assistant speakers and the likes, such as Alexa/Google Home. (this one I actually agree with for now :P)

Pacemakers. I'd have to be out of my damn mind.

Be open to change your limits, realise that the world moves on with technology. You might not see a use for some new technology, but some others might be more creative than you. Some technologies might become useful once they reach a high enough level. E.g. a 1Gbit internet connection speed. If all you're used to is 20mbps, you might not see how it could be useful. You don't download large files very often, and you'd have to get fibre. Not worth it, right? Well, thanks to having a quite fast internet connection, I don't really have to have games installed on my PC. All I need to do is wait for a few minutes, which I am capable of. Thus I can save hundreds of GBs on my PC. Of course, if the speeds increases further, the installs will take a lot less time.

That 100GB game you need to download?

20mbps: 12 hours

100mbps: 2 hours 23 minutes

1Gbps: 14 minutes

10Gbps: 1 minute 25 seconds

100Gbps: 8 seconds

As you can see, you don't really see the possibilities if your internet speed isn't high enough. But once you're used to it, you think it's obvious

Edited by seon123
Accidental Ctrl + Enter

:)

I embrace new technology when it is safe, benefits me, and is cost effective. Otherwise, forget it. I especially resent it when new technology is being rammed down my throat.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Home / Digital Assistants.

i just don’t have a use for these.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Many think its going to compete with Wired Broadband providers. Providing many of us with some form of competition. 

I don't live in US or on the countryside, there is some competition here. (Tho, I would like more, but 5G isnt doing that)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, Mihle said:

I don't live in US or on the countryside, there is some competition here. (Tho, I would like more, but 5G isnt doing that)

I live in Metro Detroit and all we have in my section of the city is Comcast. AT&T refuses to upgrade their system so they can provide service to this section of the city. 

5G isnt providing competition because 5G doesn't exist yet, at least not in many areas. It will be a few years before they have meaningful 5G penetration. Know one is sure what policies will govern the new service. If they dont provide at least 1 TB of data a month then I dont see it succeeding, at least not in the city, maybe in Rural areas where they dont have shit. 

-VR;

-Worn technology (smart watches, bands, etc);

-Subdermal RFID chips;

-Always on "assistents" such as Alexa, Siri, Google, Bixby and Cortana (i'll admit that sometimes i do forget my microphone plugged in, and i have a TV with Bixby that probably is listening all the time);

-Always online house automation products (thermostats, locks, curtains, anything).

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

8 hours ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Home / Digital Assistants.

i just don’t have a use for these.

Same, i really don't get their appeal as well.

Its a cute party trick telling your TV "Bixby open Prime Video" once or twice, but navigating the menus to do so is much easier imo.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I'm working on getting RFID implants to interact with my house. 

Bring on the Cyberpunk future, I want my Coaxial cable dreads already.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I live in Metro Detroit and all we have in my section of the city is Comcast. AT&T refuses to upgrade their system so they can provide service to this section of the city. 

5G isnt providing competition because 5G doesn't exist yet, at least not in many areas. It will be a few years before they have meaningful 5G penetration. Know one is sure what policies will govern the new service. If they dont provide at least 1 TB of data a month then I dont see it succeeding, at least not in the city, maybe in Rural areas where they dont have shit. 

Only way it can in any shape or form compete with home internet is if it's no data cap at all, because that's what home internet is. I doubt that is going to happen here, so they won't compete.

-Stephen Hawking

On 9/15/2019 at 11:06 AM, BecauseICanTBH said:

I'll probably never get a phone that is even hardware-capable of 5g.

Eventually it will be that or no phone at all. Honestly I don't see a problem with that other than some battery problems if they don't find a way to make it more power efficient.

As for me, the "line" is quite simple - if it does something I find useful enough to justify the price and doesn't have drawbacks that outweigh the positives, I'm for it. For instance I have no interest in "home assistants" because I consider them almost useless and they have a significant privacy drawback - it's not really a problem with the technology, it's a problem with the use case. And unchecked capitalism turning you into a product.

Brain implants are probably decades away, we barely understand how the brain works right now. I wouldn't hold my breath. If and when we get them it's going to come down to the drawbacks - if they don't mess with your personality and the procedure is fairly unintrusive I'd say why not? They could do wonders for people with dementia, which incidentally I might have by the time something like that becomes available.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

for me i draw the line at anything involving getting an operation to get it 'installed'. 

im very enthusiastic about home automation stuff but i do prefer to keep it in the local network rather going through the cloud. 

meaning i got all the philips hue stuff and a couple of raspis for digital led strips and motor controlling windows blinds and stuff. also a security camera pi at my front door. but again that is all local network stuff only. that being said i do use lexa for voice intercaction. but not the way its intented. i have alexa send push notification to my account and then my surface pro 3 listens to that feed and does the commands locally. so my amazon cloud is only connected to the push client. and not my entire infrastructure.

wearables can also be very useful. i still dream of riding a bike with a transparent overlay in my helmet for navigation and stuff basically the stuff you get in games as HUD. also tht screen would be full screen then you could hook up a camera and not just show an arrow in the corner but actually virtually paint your direction arrows onto the street. also stuff like a visual representation of your braking distance calculated in real time and much more. again as a wearable maybe in the helmet visor.

im basically open for anything as long as its not implanted into me. so i can still put it all aside and go lay in my garden or go on vacation offline and chill.

tldr: open to everything - no implants though. and not a fan of cloud stuff. but if i can keep the data local im interested. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I would love non wirelessly controlled implants. I am not ok with someone being able to remote into my heart and kill me.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

9 hours ago, Mihle said:

because that's what home internet is. I doubt that is going to happen here, so they won't compete.

Comcast has a 1TB cap, ATT has a 250 gig cap on aDSL and 1TB on uverse. So......... thats not what home internet is.

Your smart toilet needs an update, you can poop in an estimated 2 hours and 43 minutes.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

5 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

Your smart toilet needs an update, you can poop in an estimated 2 hours and 43 minutes.

I guess the yard is getting some extra fertilization. ?

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast has a 1TB cap, ATT has a 250 gig cap on aDSL and 1TB on uverse. So......... thats not what home internet is.

US have data cap on home internet because US is still stone age when it comes to internet.

There is no data cap on home internet here or almost all if not all of Europe. Zero. Nada. I could use 10+ TB in a month if I wanted to.

And have been like the last 10++ years. Tho, 10++ years ago the speed wouldn't have been good enough to do 10 TB in a month....

-Stephen Hawking