2080 Super VS. 2080TI

UnbounDxKilleR

Hi All,

Almost completed my build and I am only stuck on the GPU as the 2080 Super is £750 and the 2080TI is £1180 which is roughly a 60% increase in price.

So I was simply wondering whether or not a 2080Ti is worth it over a 2080 Super considering the performance averages 20-30% better and roughly 10 frames on average in games? Just doesn't seem worth it to me but wanted other opinions, sorry if this has been asked before I had a quick look but couldn't find this direct question.

Thank you!

Just now, 5x5 said:

I'd argue the 2080 non super is best value. Only 4% behind the Super and much cheaper

I would argue the exact same thing, but in the UK I am looking at the MSI Gaming X TRIO model and between the 2080 and the 2080 Super it is a £15 difference. So thought I would justify spending the extra £15 as seemed worth it

Just now, UnbounDxKilleR said:

I would argue the exact same thing, but in the UK I am looking at the MSI Gaming X TRIO model and between the 2080 and the 2080 Super it is a £15 difference. So thought I would justify spending the extra £15 as seemed worth it

Dont buy the most expensive model. It's really not remotely worth it. Get the cheapest dual fan model

19 minutes ago, UnbounDxKilleR said:

Just get an RX 5700? It's easily the best value GPU right now and can run everything at 1440p very high without issue. Has about 80% of a 2080's performance.

What's your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

And did you buy anything yet? if not post your build list.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just get an RX 5700? It's easily the best value GPU right now and can run everything at 1440p very high without issue. Has about 80% of a 2080's performance.

What's your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

And did you buy anything yet? if not post your build list.

Haven't bought anything as of yet:

Monitor is 1440p G-Sync 144hz

Thank you, I'll take a look at that do you mean the RX 5700 or the RX 5700 XT?

Have you considered the 3700X? Nearly the same performance as a 9900K but the R7 runs cool, quiet and uses less power than the i9 space heater

11 minutes ago, UnbounDxKilleR said:

You can flash the bios on the cheaper non XT card in less than 5 minutes, and get 95% of the XT's performance. For some reason after market cards in the UK are pretty overpriced aside from this MSI one

You already have the G-sync display?

If you're going for looks, the 011 Dynamic is great, and it actually has good airflow, NZXT cases tend to run hotter because of no mesh.

Instead of just getting a 2TB SSD, you can buy a 500GB SSD, with a 2 or 4TB hard drive, and just use SSD caching software to speed up to hard drive to near SSD speeds. or just use the SSD for your OS and main games, just a lot more storage for the money.

I'm just all about that performance per dollar. You could also easily do a custom water cooling loop in the 011 Dynamic.

Basically this is just a lot cheaper, with 80-90% of the CPU performance, and 70-80% of the GPU performance.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ygRxZR

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£314.29 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (£77.40 @ Alza)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£189.38 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (£94.99 @ Corsair UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 GB MECH OC Video Card  (£359.10 @ Technextday)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case  (£112.10 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£74.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1222.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-11 10:20 BST+0100

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Have you already got your monitor?

if so you would be wasitng the G-Sync part if you go AMD

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

On 9/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, 5x5 said:

Have you considered the 3700X? Nearly the same performance as a 9900K but the R7 runs cool, quiet and uses less power than the i9 space heater

I had considered it but I have always had Intel systems and its sort of a comfort thing to stick with Intel, I know that AMD has come a long way it is simply where I feel comfortable :)

On 9/11/2019 at 10:46 AM, shaz2sxy said:

Have you already got your monitor?

if so you would be wasitng the G-Sync part if you go AMD

I have already got a Dell 2716DG monitor, but I am open to replacing as it is 5 years old and may open a topic for suggestions if I am honest in the Monitors category :)

On 9/11/2019 at 10:24 AM, Streetguru said:

Thank you Streetguru a lot of info to take in and very useful to know all of those stats! I will take a look at the video now as seems like a potential money saver! as well as your case and storage suggestions! Thank you so much for the detail!!!

CPU as I mentioned above is a comfort thing as I have always used Intel and never had issues and performance historically is better although I know AMD has come a LONG LONG way. 

I will have a chat with some people at work about AMD as some of them use AMD and see if they are able to show me some systems etc to help me so thank you @Streetguru and @5x5

On 9/11/2019 at 6:12 AM, UnbounDxKilleR said:

Haven't bought anything as of yet:

Great so ditch the AiO for a cheaper yet better air cooler like the Dark Rock Pro 4

Don't get the Maximums Hero XI as it is the *worse* 200+ pounds motherboard there is:

Instead buy something like the much cheaper Aorus Elite.

Ditch all those Samsung stupidly overpriced storage and go with stuff like Intel's 660p, Crucial P1 or Sabrent Rocket SSD's instead for much cheaper costs:

And there you have it already cheap enough for the RTX 2080 Ti.

DO NOT go R7 3700X instead if you really want to play at 144hz since it WILL bottleneck the RTX 2080 Ti:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Well, with intel you are paying more money for basically nothing in 2019. It's really not worth the extra heat and power that the 9900K generates and uses. The 9900K is only 4-5% faster than the 3700X in games but Costa 50% more and uses near double the power and generates almost double the heat of the 3700X. For context, the 9900K is intels version of the infamously bad FX 9590

On 9/11/2019 at 3:51 AM, 5x5 said:

I'd argue the 2080 non super is best value. Only 4% behind the Super and much cheaper

I would argue the 2070s is the better deal... 200 less for a 5-8% performance decrease over the 2080s.

Also, don't buy cheap QLC junk when you can comfortably afford a quality TPC SSD from Crucial, Samsung or Western Digital.

Thank you @Princess Luna I am going to watch these videos whilst I work now!! Hopefully save myself some money! Saving money for the 2080TI would be great I just want to stick around the £2000 mark whereas currently it was hitting £2600 with the 2080TI!

@5x5 I am not the best with PC's etc but will I have to flash the BIOS requiring an older CPU if I go with AMD I know it has been required in the past and with this gen too? But if I got the 2080Ti what would be a suitable CPU to not bottleneck as Princess Luna mentioned as the 3900x is beyond the price of even a 9900k with no better performance from people benchmarking?

Also could you clarify what you mean by QLC junk? :P I am a little dumb when it comes to storage would the Samsung Evo 970 be better then an Intel 660p?

On 9/11/2019 at 11:24 AM, Streetguru said:

I'm just all about that performance per dollar. You could also easily do a custom water cooling loop in the 011 Dynamic.

Custom water cooling and performance per dollar on the same line :P

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The Samsung 970 Evo is a MLC SSD, basically more durable memory than QLC, and much faster than an Intel 660p.

Okay so much better for the Boot drive then :) Thank you for the clarification 

7 minutes ago, UnbounDxKilleR said:

Also could you clarify what you mean by QLC junk? :P I am a little dumb when it comes to storage would the Samsung Evo 970 be better then an Intel 660p?

Okay so much better for the Boot drive then :) Thank you for the clarification 

It is not, QLC is perfectly fine... lots of people have prejudice over it for unjustified reasons and some popular videos bashing QLC on youtube sure does not help.

The reality and you will see it on that video I linked you about SSD is that you're much better off saving money with one of these drives if you're just a casual user and gamer, you can refer to this very detailed explanation to why QLC is fine where it debunks all the bias/myths regarding it:

https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/bqkxov/ssd_back_order_1520_days_corsair_force_mp510_m2/eo6vi5t/

But if I got the 2080Ti what would be a suitable CPU to not bottleneck as Princess Luna mentioned as the 3900x is beyond the price of even a 9900k with no better performance from people benchmarking?

That is because while the Zen 2 line up (3700X and 3900X) are indeed great value processors specially for lots of workstation related loads, your main goal is gaming and all gaming engines prefers Intel's Ring Bus which has much lower latency on core communication than Zen 2's infinity fabric.

The 9900K will outperform any of the Zen 2 processors on the greatest majority of gaming while still being as good as octa-cores go, you will not be losing anything going with it specially if your build can accommodate it price wise.

Thank you @Princess Luna I am going to watch these videos whilst I work now!! Hopefully save myself some money! Saving money for the 2080TI would be great I just want to stick around the £2000 mark whereas currently it was hitting £2600 with the 2080TI

I will give a try on PCPP and see the best gaming focused build we can come up for around 2k pounds.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Custom water cooling and performance per dollar on the same line :P

Custom Water Cooling loop is out of the question for me I have no experience with it and worry as it is a lot more work than an AIO :P But yes assume it is much more for all the tubing and liquid blocks etc?

9 minutes ago, UnbounDxKilleR said:

Thank you @Princess Luna I am going to watch these videos whilst I work now!! Hopefully save myself some money! Saving money for the 2080TI would be great I just want to stick around the £2000 mark whereas currently it was hitting £2600 with the 2080TI!

@5x5 I am not the best with PC's etc but will I have to flash the BIOS requiring an older CPU if I go with AMD I know it has been required in the past and with this gen too? But if I got the 2080Ti what would be a suitable CPU to not bottleneck as Princess Luna mentioned as the 3900x is beyond the price of even a 9900k with no better performance from people benchmarking?

QLC is 4-bit NAND Flash used in the cheapest and lest reliable SSDs. Generally, the less bits per cell, the more durable an SSD is. SLC is single bit. MLC is two bits. TLC is three bits and QLC is four bits. QLC is cheap and basically low end junk. With a budget like yours, it's heresy to waste money on that. TLC at the minimum.

As for the CPU, the 3900X doesn't make sense for a gaming build. You won't use all 12 cores. The 3700X is recommended alongside an Asus X570 TuF because that's the best value. The 3700X comes with an excellent Prism cooler whereas then 9900K needs an aftermarket one.

As for the BIOS

You have to update it regardless of vendor. Using an old BIOS on intel or AMD both is not good as that means more bugs, glitches and worse perfoance

Also, keep in mind that the CPU only matters at 1080p. At 1440p or higher, the 9900K loses every advantage since you are GPU bound making it a needlessly expensive furnace. As an i7 owner, don't spend more money on intel when you get almost the same thing from AMD for MUCH cheaper

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I will give a try on PCPP and see the best gaming focused build we can come up for around 2k pounds.

Thank you my current PCPP build is this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/29KmfH

I already have the PSU from a previous build though I have just added it in for ref :)

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

QLC is 4-bit NAND Flash used in the cheapest and lest reliable SSDs. Generally, the less bits per cell, the more durable an SSD is. SLC is single bit. MLC is two bits. TLC is three bits and QLC is four bits. QLC is cheap and basically low end junk. With a budget like yours, it's heresy to waste money on that. TLC at the minimum.

As for the CPU, the 3900X doesn't make sense for a gaming build. You won't use all 12 cores. The 3700X is recommended alongside an Asus X570 TuF because that's the best value. The 3700X comes with an excellent Prism cooler whereas then 9900K needs an aftermarket one.

As for the BIOS

You have to update it regardless of vendor. Using an old BIOS on intel or AMD both is not good as that means more bugs, glitches and worse perfoance

Thank you for the information about the SSDs it has given me something to think about for sure! 

With regards to the CPU I understand what you mean I may do some research on how I would do all of this before I even buy as it would be a first for me doing it out the box if I need an older CPU etc sometimes you can do straight from USB :) 

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

At 1440p or higher, the 9900K loses every advantage since you are GPU bound making it a needlessly expensive furnace.

The i9 9900K is not a furnace, I have a Dark Rock 4 (non Pro) keeping mine at 5ghz with no higher temps than 79Cº

My locked i9 9900 works on an even shittier cooler Shadow Rock Slim also never exceeding 78Cº while sustaining 4.75ghz

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION ABOUT IT BEING HOT, IF YOU HAVE A DECENT COOLER IT WILL WORK FINE

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP SAYING THE 9900K ONLY MATTERS AT 1080P HAVE YOU EVEN BOTHERED TO CHECK REALITY:

image.thumb.png.e73598b73c872a02553d667e3a18256b.png

Look you're a nice guy but your bias against Intel is starting to get on my nerves

Personal Desktop":

Just now, UnbounDxKilleR said:

Thank you my current PCPP build is this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/29KmfH

I already have the PSU from a previous build though I have just added it in for ref :)

Thank you for the information about the SSDs it has given me something to think about for sure! 

With regards to the CPU I understand what you mean I may do some research on how I would do all of this before I even buy as it would be a first for me doing it out the box if I need an older CPU etc sometimes you can do straight from USB :) 

Updating a BIOS is super simple in modern days. All you need is a USB drive, plug it in, enable the BIOS flash utility from the BIOS itself and wait. Both Intel and AMD, and board vendors, have put great effort into making the BIOS experience easier and more streamlined without sacrificing options.

As for the SSD, MLC is a bit overkill imo since the cost goes.way up but there is no excuse.to buy QLC in 2019 when TLC is cheap