Windows 10 PowerToys

GoodBytes

Earlier in the year Microsoft announced PowerToys will make a return but this time open source and designed for Windows 10.

PowerToys are Microsoft utilities that can be installed to bring additional features with a target to help people be more productive on their system. It is currently tagged as Pre-release.

Logo.jpg

To get started Microsoft releases 2 utilities:

1. Shortcut Guide. The first one is the least interested one of the 2 for this community, I think, but in the Windows XP version they had it, so I guess they decided to make an equivalent one for Win10. This utility, when enabled, allows you to see all your available options when press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard. A full screen panel will slide up, showing you all the available options you can and can't do. For instance, if you press and hold the Windows key, it will show you that if you press 1, it will start your first pinned or running program on the task bar.

2. Fancy Zones. This one is the  more interesting one. It allows you to define custom window snap zones, and have your window snap to a specified custom zone (or use one of the templates already made) when you hold Shift key and drag a window. 

Download link:

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/releases

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/6/20852451/microsoft-windows-10-powertoys-download-features

AH interesting. Being able to tinker will definitely increase my appreciation of the OS.

But sadly no one uses Windows anymore.*

*Source: Intel Product Improvement Program Q3 2019 20,000 PCs (all linux computers)

This is exciting news
I can't wait to try this instead of painstakingly moving each little corner

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I installed it and its working pretty well. Here is the github download link btw https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/releases/download/v0.11.0/PowerToysSetup.msi

I have multiple monitors and I can't seem to figure out how to set up zones for each monitor. Anyone have any tricks? 

Am I the only who thinks this is useless?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Fancy Zones sounds amazing, I've always wanted something like that, but the existing solutions are really clunky. 

Dropped the ball not calling it Windows Panes tho... 

Tweak UI when?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Fancy zones seem like something i would use if i used windows with more than one screen still

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 hours ago, IsRael_ said:

I installed it and its working pretty well. Here is the github download link btw https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/releases/download/v0.11.0/PowerToysSetup.msi

I have multiple monitors and I can't seem to figure out how to set up zones for each monitor. Anyone have any tricks? 

not sure if display fusion or matrox powerdesk would work with it,

5 monitors 2 over 3 in suround here but quit using snap feature, i just window everything when multitasking it hardcore

Neat. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

FancyZone sounds great. I can't wait to try it out. Ever since I got a 32:9, 49" monitor I've kind of struggled with window management. I have to do so much resizing manually. This could really help me out if it works well. 

well... something i'd actually use coming from MS

Hell must have frozen... or i just got moved to Dante's ninth circle of hell

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Hopefully it works with more then one screen. I have been looking for third party software. But it's never in the free version. And I don't like to spend much for a feature that basic without even being able to test it.

The developer said it currently only works on the main display. 

But that they are working on improving it until release . 

One of the devs is active on Reddit and posted a few updates 

On 9/6/2019 at 2:05 PM, Levent said:

Am I the only who thinks this is useless?

It's for people who need it really it's not for everyone just like video games