FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

@Rem0o, I just wanted to say thank you.

This works brilliantly in my setup.

Gigabyte aorus elite x570 + Ryzen5 2600 + RX 5700 XT

Custom watercooling build with cpu and gpu on custom cooling kit I've made.

works flawlessly, thank you once again

I'm also on bitdefender and having a few files flagged as infected.

I scanned the folder before trying to run the program and it was fine, however on running the program bitdefender closes it and then quarantines the files.

FanControlBitDefender.png

9 hours ago, Vomit said:

I'm also on bitdefender and having a few files flagged as infected.

I scanned the folder before trying to run the program and it was fine, however on running the program bitdefender closes it and then quarantines the files.

Seems like it, I mean, even the scripts in plain text are flagged.

I registered just today on LTT to come to this thread and say "thank you". I have been using Speedfan for years on a B350 board but last week I upgraded to a more recent B550M with most new sensors not being probed by the software.

I have typed Speedfan alternative in Google and found out about the Project and your program in its current state.

Works well for me out of the box, I just had some struggle with a non PWM fan setting that I fixed and one that is still pending with another PWM fan that is connected to the MB via  a Fan hub (Fan speed doesn't show up).Using the hub is not necessary anymore because I have more Fan headers on this new MB so I will try to plug the fan directly on the board which I believe will fix the problem.

I am playing with the features, one of the key for me would be to have one Fan speed controlled via 2 temperatures prob, like CPU and GPU which was quite helpful in Speedfan and I believe is also possible in this software.

thanks again, its a great tool

Olivier

L

@RemOo

moving the PWM fan to a dedicated MB fan header fixed the problem as I suspected. Your software is recognizing and I could get it added to my control set-up.All good for now.

thanks again for what you have brought to the community.

PS By the way, Francais?

Seems like the fans on my Asus X470 are detected now but as I was messing with it last evening the fan controls worked initially but then went to -1% and I couldn't get speeds to change. I was able to set 2 of 3 fan headers before that happened. I'll try to see if I can duplicate the issue and upload the config and log files for you. Also CPU fan wouldn't let me fan stop it, but it also has that same limitation in BIOS, I could however fan stop the front fans. Rear fans (possibly related to the issue) were giving me a problem where they didn't want to restart from stopped until near 40% but that I suspect is a fan issue not a software issue but that's when I think I noticed the -1% problem and inability to make new changes to the fans.

Thanks for this app. I legit was looking for something that was going to replace speedfan as I find my MSI z170 board has one of the worste fan control. I wanted my  GPU  Radiator fans (g12 with h75) to ramp up according to gpu temps and also my case fans to do so as cpu temps is always good except when gaming it needs to go full or near full blast and speedfan was good but some games like Rainbow six siege will block it and this app works just fine.

Again 1000x thanks for this awesome app.

Hey,

Is there any way to get this software to recognize the fans that aren't spinning? Or at least have them in "inactive" status when the software isn't picking them up (and user can manually remove them if they are replaced).

I also got some minor issue with the software where fans are ignoring FanControl when i'm using "target" fan curve but it works when I use "synch". Ideally I'd like to case fans to not spin when I'm not gaming since CPU temp is staying below 45°C.

My motherboard is MSI B450 Mortar Max and fans are connected directly to headers on the board.

Thank you in advance. :)

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

Storage: Samsung SSD 980 1TB  &   WD Blue 1 TB SSD

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

On 9/13/2020 at 2:22 AM, Zelenia said:

Is there any way to get this software to recognize the fans that aren't spinning? Or at least have them in "inactive" status when the software isn't picking them up (and user can manually remove them if they are replaced).

That's LibreHardwareMonitorLib behavior, might branch it off to fix it, it annoys me as well.

On 9/13/2020 at 2:22 AM, Zelenia said:

I also got some minor issue with the software where fans are ignoring FanControl when i'm using "target" fan curve but it works when I use "synch". Ideally I'd like to case fans to not spin when I'm not gaming since CPU temp is staying below 45°C.

That doesn't make sense. Maybe the target curve doesn't behave the way you expect? The percentage at the bottom left of the target fan curve card should be the one applied to your control.

A quick question: is it on purpose FanControl starts in "below normal" priority? Just noticed it and I'm +/- pretty sure it wasn't the case when I started to use FanControl several months ago

1155002643_2020-09-1523_04_40-Window.png.cb42c1b8caf0596e3fbc62351fe29d91.png

I always update the versions, and today I'm running V49

39 minutes ago, Jean-Pierre57 said:

A quick question: is it on purpose FanControl starts in "below normal" priority? Just noticed it and I'm +/- pretty sure it wasn't the case when I started to use FanControl several months ago

1155002643_2020-09-1523_04_40-Window.png.cb42c1b8caf0596e3fbc62351fe29d91.png

I always update the versions, and today I'm running V49

Seems like the default for a scheduled task is 7 ( below normal ) according to MSDN

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/taskschd/tasksettings-priority

8 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Seems like the default for a scheduled task is 7 ( below normal ) according to MSDN

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/taskschd/tasksettings-priority

So then it's normal to not have normal priority. The backward for me (even if of course it does not often occur) is that FanControl is reacting slowly (several seconds of delay) when computer is highly busy. Which is a piece of bad luck cause it's when CPU+GPU are overloaded they start to burn and you need to react on fans ASAP

Almost linked, when I tried by myself to change the above behaviour, I could start FanControl before login to a session, in that case I'm happy to see it's running at normal priority and it starts before any rubbish apps and services launched after the login, that is in my case quite interesting as I spare 1 minute of time to reach the fan speeds as they should be. The counter part is, later, in my user session, I do not see Fancontrol in the taskbar. I even do not know which profile it uses (but I presume the last I saved). If I run Fancontrol manually, I create obviously two instances of it.

Is there any trick to reach a trade-of between this two situations such as running FANControl ASAP while still having an hand on it later?

Hello. First of all, I wanted to congratulate you on the program .. Thanks!
However, I have a bug from a couple of versions now:

Immagine-2020-09-17-001508.jpg

As it appears in the photo, if the chipset fan is idle when starting the program, the sensor is not loaded and does not appear when the fan starts working.

Msi Unify X570 motherboard

Is it posible to reduce the memory that this uses for the tray icon only? 65MB is quite a bit when i am running it on a headless server.

1 hour ago, DerekZ said:

As it appears in the photo, if the chipset fan is idle when starting the program, the sensor is not loaded and does not appear when the fan starts working.

Yup, the library had an update where non-spinning fan sensor's won't be activated at startup, which is really annoying. It's on my radar.

1 hour ago, amckern said:

Is it posible to reduce the memory that this uses for the tray icon only? 65MB is quite a bit when i am running it on a headless server.

Well, it's a .NET WPF app as the backbone, so it's gonna be RAM heavy. If you never open the UI, you should save a 40-50 mb of RAM.

2 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Well, it's a .NET WPF app as the backbone, so it's gonna be RAM heavy. If you never open the UI, you should save a 40-50 mb of RAM.

Thanks, i'll see how i go, running into 30 *C today, so will see how it goes on the aircooled one in the garage.

Help me, I can't stop tinkering with the software...

I have a couple of things I've been wanting to bring up:

1. Can we have a feature that would allow fans to ramp up fast but take a while to come back down. I'm having problems with my CPU fans not being able to keep up under loads where the CPU temp is up and down a lot (handbrake batch transcoding). The CPU gets hot fast so I need fast response times but then the fans don't remove the residual heat from the cooler. I feel like this might be unique to me since I'm apparently at the limit of this cooler.

2. Would this software work with an external fan controller like the Corsair Commander? This is more of a curiosity.

3. I have a motherboard with fan headers that can kind of be controlled, but they follow presets from the BIOS and just run at a fixed speed. I have a piece of software from the windows 7 days that lets me adjust it on the desktop but not automatically. Would a log allow you to see if this is something that can be controlled as well?

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On 9/16/2020 at 11:48 PM, DragonTamer1 said:

1. Can we have a feature that would allow fans to ramp up fast but take a while to come back down. I'm having problems with my CPU fans not being able to keep up under loads where the CPU temp is up and down a lot (handbrake batch transcoding). The CPU gets hot fast so I need fast response times but then the fans don't remove the residual heat from the cooler. I feel like this might be unique to me since I'm apparently at the limit of this cooler.

Have you tried the "Target" fan curve? It will keep the fan speed until the temps go back to idle. Maybe do a profile where your CPU cooler has a Target fan curve and use it when necessary.

2. Would this software work with an external fan controller like the Corsair Commander? This is more of a curiosity.

I don't have the API for it right now.

3. I have a motherboard with fan headers that can kind of be controlled, but they follow presets from the BIOS and just run at a fixed speed. I have a piece of software from the windows 7 days that lets me adjust it on the desktop but not automatically. Would a log allow you to see if this is something that can be controlled as well?

Without more details or directly testing it, it's hard to say.

On 9/17/2020 at 5:48 AM, DragonTamer1 said:

I need to try the new "Target Curve". Until then:

I wanted to do exactly the same and after some time of tinkering with it, I've found a good solution for my special needs. Maybe something similar might work for you?

Mix multiple graphs:
I have one very very slow curve and one that simply ramps up to 100% when the CPU hits a high temperature.

Ofc you need to set the fan controller's step %/s to the maximum to make it work (50).

SlowCurve: Hysteresis 8°, Response time 15s, 30% up to 65°c, then linearly up to 100% at 90°c
HighBoost: Hysteresis 4°, Response time 1s, temp to trigger: 82°c

Yes, my cpu is running quite hot.. Planning to change to a better case. Although the 10600k simply spikes a lot.

During rendering with Magix Vegas with nvenc, the CPU is between 65-80°c, during gaming mostly 60-75°c.

During writing a forum post, the cpu will be between 35-50°c, clicking on a youtube video will give a 70°c spike for one second or less.

Fans stay very very steady due to the "SlowCurve", while it's protected from overheating spikes like when loading a savegame or when starting a rendering process by the HighBoost.

Yes, my fans are spinning too fast or a bit too slow most of the time but I don't really care. I want steady speeds and just my CPU within certain limits.

Looks like this:

You will need different values, but it should by easy to achieve the same after some experimenting. 

image.png.3773c70a84a3e4eff435bdc984960763.png

3 hours ago, RaazP said:

I need to try the new "Target Curve". Until then:

I wanted to do exactly the same and after some time of tinkering with it, I've found a good solution for my special needs. Maybe something similar might work for you?

Mix multiple graphs:
I have one very very slow curve and one that simply ramps up to 100% when the CPU hits a high temperature.

Ofc you need to set the fan controller's step %/s to the maximum to make it work (50).

SlowCurve: Hysteresis 8°, Response time 15s, 30% up to 65°c, then linearly up to 100% at 90°c
HighBoost: Hysteresis 4°, Response time 1s, temp to trigger: 82°c

Yes, my cpu is running quite hot.. Planning to change to a better case. Although the 10600k simply spikes a lot.

During rendering with Magix Vegas with nvenc, the CPU is between 65-80°c, during gaming mostly 60-75°c.

During writing a forum post, the cpu will be between 35-50°c, clicking on a youtube video will give a 70°c spike for one second or less.

Fans stay very very steady due to the "SlowCurve", while it's protected from overheating spikes like when loading a savegame or when starting a rendering process by the HighBoost.

Yes, my fans are spinning too fast or a bit too slow most of the time but I don't really care. I want steady speeds and just my CPU within certain limits.

Looks like this:

You will need different values, but it should by easy to achieve the same after some experimenting. 

image.png.3773c70a84a3e4eff435bdc984960763.png

Using a mix of target and my normal curve did work, though it wasn't quite what I was thinking, it's good enough. Until it was brought it up I hadn't looked into the target function all that much. Once I started messing with it I figured out how it works.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I have an ASUS Z97-A MB.  I am starting to play around with this AMAZING piece of software to get my new case/fans working how I want.  I have run into an issue when trying to do the "Detect fans activation automatically..." where I get the "fan never stopped" message for all of my fans.  (GPU, CPU, 1 rear case and 2 front case fans).  Is there anything I need to do in my BIOS to make this work?  I have already disabled the "Q-Fan" feature in the BIOS, which I'm assuming I need to do for this software to work?

33 minutes ago, h00ch said:

I have an ASUS Z97-A MB.  I am starting to play around with this AMAZING piece of software to get my new case/fans working how I want.  I have run into an issue when trying to do the "Detect fans activation automatically..." where I get the "fan never stopped" message for all of my fans.  (GPU, CPU, 1 rear case and 2 front case fans).  Is there anything I need to do in my BIOS to make this work?  I have already disabled the "Q-Fan" feature in the BIOS, which I'm assuming I need to do for this software to work?

Well if your fans can't stop, you don't need activation %, so one less thing to worry about.