Chinese Cities' upcoming Compact Citizen Choppers - China may be starting the first trials for pilot-less intracity public transport

rcmaehl

Sources:
CNBC (quote, media source)

Summary:
Chinese startup Ehang states it will be starting pilot-less passenger drone flights within a year.

Media:
GP 190828 Chinese-made Passenger Drone Flies In Guangzhou

Quotes/Excerpts:

Chinese startup Ehang says its autonomous passenger drones could soon be flying in the skies of China’s biggest cities, making the country one of the first in the world. Ehang announced a pilot project with the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou, in which it plans to set up three or four regular flight routes for passengers to take. That could take place either this year or in 2020, Xiong said. China would be the first country to carry out such a program where passengers are able to travel in autonomous flying vehicles. Other places like Dubai are also looking into it, carrying out tests, but have not announced programs that resemble Guangzhou’s. Ehang is not the only company pushing forth autonomous drones. Both Airbus and Boeing have tested their own versions of this technology in the past two years, while German startup Lilium is another player in the game. Before such flying vehicles can take off, however, there are a number of challenges, from needing new infrastructure to regulatory concerns, to convincing passengers that the technology is safe. Ehang will be working with the authorities in Guangzhou to build up infrastructure like landing and take off pads.The company was...picked by the Civil Aviation Administration....as the country’s first company to start a pilot program for the development of autonomous passenger drones. It claims that it has conducted over 2,000 test flights inside and outside of China in various weather conditions, and is confident of the safety standards.  "...even if you … lost the motors or even several motors you’re still fine,” Xiong said.

My Thoughts:

Yes, Nice, but actually no. I'm sure there'll be a lot of people willing to ride in these but I'd much rather be in a vehicle with an expert or at least knowledgeable person about the vehicle. While I'm aware auto-pilot in the aviation industry, I don't think we should ever really be without pilots.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

looks expensive

I mean it's an alternative to this

Image result for chinese traffic

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

looks like it's killing our planet

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

You're not wrong

I thought saudi Arabia is doing it first?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

I thought saudi Arabia is doing it first?

Saudi Arabia actually have to make their city first, they definitely have the money to get it done though.

I don't know about you, but I would be terrified to take a flight in a plastic toy without a pilot.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Can already imagine the company name being changed to "Ebang" 

I'm sure at least one person will use it to join the mile-high club.... or maybe not because social credit score

China + current situation + citizen chopper ?

Sounds.. wrong but ok..

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I can't quite decide if flying a bunch of people around or having them idle in crazy traffic jams is better or worse for the environment.

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

or maybe not because social credit score

*giggles*

Can that thing even fly a mile up?

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

13 minutes ago, Joluch said:

Can that thing even fly a mile up?

A full 2 miles actually, although a far cry from modern planes that can do 4x that and military aircraft that can do 9x that.

image.png.e31da21937936467d51efc65673f971c.png

4 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

A full 2 miles actually, although a far cry from modern planes that can do 4x that and military aircraft that can do 9x that.

2 miles is enough, I'd say.

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

but chinooks exist

Needs more googly eyes
Image result for chinooks meme

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

i kinda question the airtime of personal flight vehicles ._. especially battery powered ones and those that don't have a failsafe way of landing

if anything, those microflight people should look into air-busses (ha ha), but chinooks exist ._.

Autorotation?

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

Actually I think it'd be more expensive to use planes/drones/helicopters/whatever other fancy name for flying things we come up with/etc than it would be to just keep driving cars even with the considered traffic. What you gain in speed and no traffic you lose with having to maintain altitude. Although I'm just speculating so maybe this could be more efficient? But even if it isn't people will probably still use it for the same reason they use wireless charging even though it's laughably inefficient.

10 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I don't know about you, but I would be terrified to take a flight in a plastic toy without a pilot.

What's the difference between an AI pilot and a human pilot? Both are basically the same with the AI being faster, capable of more computation, better control, etc.

13 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

And yet, will unironically be less safe.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I find the picture hilarious. Sure, a personal helicopter, yet the infrastructure behind you is rusting away.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, Beskamir said:

What's the difference between an AI pilot and a human pilot? Both are basically the same with the AI being faster, capable of more computation, better control, etc

AI pilot would also be lighter than a 70kg pilot, which would improve flight time. Also cheaper than paying pilots salaries.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

21 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

2 miles is enough, I'd say.

we are low on batter-

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!