Do you prefer keyed or reversible ports?

SuperCookie78

Keyed or Reversible  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer keyed or reversible external pc ports

• Keyed
    • Reversable

Do you prefer an external computer port that is keyed (only plugs in one way) or reversible (can also be plugged in upside down)? Lets say they both have the same durability, reliability and speed.

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

If I can see the port an cable (e.g. a phone, an external HDD and their cable..) I don't mind either, but if I can't see the cable+port (e.g. the back of my PC, the side of my laptop or a mouse with a recessed port) I would rather have it be reversible.

But with 'I don't mind either' I still mean I prefer a reversible option, there's not much of a reason to go keyed in that case (assuming the rules you set in the OP).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

USB C is the future.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

42 minutes ago, Velcade said:

How is this even a question?  Reversible always wins. 

A keyed design at no point is there any traces crossing over so it can be easier to design and build. it can also be made thinner.

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Keyed for professional stuff. Most ports that are used professionally are only plugged in once. 

The questions seems vague or ambiguous at best. Are we talking about "As one who plugs stuff in..." or "As one who designs connectors..." or something else? 

I've personally never minded micru usb, as it has those two great sticking out bits with which you can feel which way they're pointed. You need to grab the cable near there anyways so it isn't much of an extra effort for me. As for the device, I just remember which way its port is pointed (on my 1+1, "the wrong way around": upside down for some reason). What is more inconvenient now is having a phone with USB C and my old phone (that I still regularly use so far) with micro usb, meaning that I have a 3 and a 2 meter cable lying around in a small pile. :D

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

3 hours ago, SuperCookie78 said:

Do you prefer an external computer port that is keyed (only plugs in one way) or reversible (can also be plugged in upside down)? Lets say they both have the same durability, reliability and speed.

Reversible because they are less likely to be damaged by fumbling.

However the shapes of the connectors leave a lot to be desired since the pins on usb-style connectors can still be bent or shorted. What is needed in reversible designs is short-circuit prevention where the shell (ground) mechanically triggers the "connection secured" signal.

What happens right now with both USB-C and Apple's Lightning is that the connector can still be partially inserted, or in the case of USB, the shell can be slightly bent, and short the pins itself.

In non-reversible designs, usually the "pin" side of the connector is more structurally solid since it can only be inserted one way (see USB-B and mini-DP/Thunderbolt2 connectors) before it even enters the shell. HDMI, Displayport, USB-A and eSATA can all be partially inserted into each other. In fact many docks actually have the eSATA port double as a USB port.

Keyed only if the cables lock in better than with reversible (e.g. micro USB vs USB-C).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

depends on what its for. 

if it needs to stay plugged in(network, video, audio, etc) i want it keyed.

if i have to change it frequently (usb), i want reversible. 

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 hours ago, Tsuki said:

depends on what its for. 

if it needs to stay plugged in(network, video, audio, etc) i want it keyed.

if i have to change it frequently (usb), i want reversible. 

keyboard or mouse

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

4 hours ago, Skiplusplus said:

The questions seems vague or ambiguous at best. Are we talking about "As one who plugs stuff in..." or "As one who designs connectors..." or something else? 

as a consumer would you like a connection that can be reversible.

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Barrel jacks because they have infinite sides

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Just now, FezBoy said:

Barrel jacks because they have infinite sides

thats sorta hard with a 8 electrical connections

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

25 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

keyboard or mouse

i dont really have a preference for those. but i can see the argument either way. 

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Reversible... for obvious reasons.

Keyed is fine, if it's a plug once and never touch it again with some weird format that's incompatible with other stuff. But for anything that needs to be plugged/unplugged a lot, reversible simply makes more sense.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'd argue reversible for external interfaces, but keyed or whatever works for internal interfaces. Reversible increases the complexity of the design which makes no sense to have for something that's intended to be touched like a handful of times in the device's life.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'd argue reversible for external interfaces, but keyed or whatever works for internal interfaces. Reversible increases the complexity of the design which makes no sense to have for something that's intended to be touched like a handful of times in the device's life.

well it depends on how its designed I am pretty sure for usb c 5Gbit/s and up there has to be some logic in the usb controller. but since usb 2.0 is just 4 lines its easy to just have them cross over. you could also double the width and just have on half have pins on top and the bottom the same but mirrored and just have the pcb mounts connect but then you waist space. 

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

11 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

well it depends on how its designed I am pretty sure for usb c 5Gbit/s and up there has to be some logic in the usb controller. but since usb 2.0 is just 4 lines its easy to just have them cross over. you could also double the width and just have on half have pins on top and the bottom the same but mirrored and just have the pcb mounts connect but then you waist space. 

It still doesn't make sense to do this for an internal connection. There's no need for the added complexity and waste for something that again, is likely only going to be touched a handful of times.

Reversible connectors are simply for convenience.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

It still doesn't make sense to do this for an internal connection. There's no need for the added complexity and waste for something that again, is likely only going to be touched a handful of times.

I agree 

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Having a ubiquitous modular approach to connectivity is the future

15 minutes ago, floofer said:

Having a ubiquitous modular approach to connectivity is the future

If we're talking external connectors, the problem is that people associate connector with functionality. So unless you enforce all functionality to be mandatory instead of only some of it, you're going to have problems with people being confused about things. USB-C is a prime example of this.

You show people an HDMI, RCA, USB Type A, or a micro B, and ask them what it's for you're going to get one, maybe two answers. You show people a USB C, you're probably going to get a dozen, and on any given device, only one or two of them is going to be correct.