Do you prefer keyed or reversible ports?

SuperCookie78

Keyed or Reversible  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer keyed or reversible external pc ports

• Keyed
    • Reversable

I mean I guess if ALL OTHER THINGS ARE THE SAME there isnt a reason to not make a connector reversible but so far all things are basically never the same. USB-C is my mortal enemy so far in my uses, ya its nice that its reversible but the durability for me has been shit so far. With that said lightning connector have been great to me but dont have the same capabilities as USB-C

27 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If we're talking external connectors, the problem is that people associate connector with functionality. So unless you enforce all functionality to be mandatory instead of only some of it, you're going to have problems with people being confused about things. USB-C is a prime example of this.

You show people an HDMI, RCA, USB Type A, or a micro B, and ask them what it's for you're going to get one, maybe two answers. You show people a USB C, you're probably going to get a dozen, and on any given device, only one or two of them is going to be correct.

If USB- C supports the standard, why not? It’s universal for reason.

35 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If we're talking external connectors, the problem is that people associate connector with functionality. So unless you enforce all functionality to be mandatory instead of only some of it, you're going to have problems with people being confused about things. USB-C is a prime example of this.

You show people an HDMI, RCA, USB Type A, or a micro B, and ask them what it's for you're going to get one, maybe two answers. You show people a USB C, you're probably going to get a dozen, and on any given device, only one or two of them is going to be correct.

7 minutes ago, floofer said:

This picture shows that while usb c can do almost anything not every port is equal Image result for usb type c logo chart linustechtips forum

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

9 minutes ago, floofer said:

USB-C is not truly universal. It costs way too much to make every USB-C port do everything.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, floofer said:

The only thing universal about it is the connector. What that connector does is not the same on any given device, and thus, it really isn't all that universal in practice.

EDIT: I should make mention that even the cables for USB-C can't be considered universal. At the very least there's a problem with USB-PD in that if you don't use an e-marked cable, you can't use the more higher power options available.

10 hours ago, Stroal said:

Keyed for professional stuff. Most ports that are used professionally are only plugged in once. 

And if that one time you plug it is done wrong, you could damage thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

So I'm in the same boat. Keyed for professional. In fact, the harder it is to screw up professional hardware, the better. You know there's so many people who aren't careful.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I don't really care. I don't find it difficult to plug in cables that are keyed, every one that I own has a tactile bump or embossing that you can feel to know which side is up, so like when I plug the cables into my monitor I know by feel which way the cable needs to be turned.

I wonder how many people didn't know that... ?

Just now, Chett_Manly said:

I don't really care. I don't find it difficult to plug in cables that are keyed, every one that I own has a tactile bump or embossing that you can feel to know which side is up, so like when I plug the cables into my monitor I know by feel which way the cable needs to be turned.

I wonder how many people didn't know that... ?

so a trapezoid would be fine but a rectangle (usb type A)

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

USB Type-C everything. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |