Which 450W PSU to keep?

Gerr
2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

the 3.3V rail's performance in our advanced transient response tests and loose load regulation on the 5V and 5VSB rails

well... the 5v could be a little concerning, but not a huge one

3.3 on that note is barely used

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

well... the 5v could be a little concerning, but not a huge one

3.3 on that note is barely used

Yes but I mean, we're comparing two units - one has issues with the +5V and +5VSB rails, the other doesn't.

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2014/02/18/seasonic_s12gseries_s12g550_power_supply_review/9

The Bottom Line

The Seasonic S12G-550, like the G-550 before it, is an excellent power supply that is probably a better power supply than the class of products that Seasonic is marketing it as. Indeed, this is due to the fact that this unit exhibits a build quality that is better than most anything in this class, excellent voltage regulation that just barely trails the higher end Seasonic products we have seen, excellent DC Output Quality, excellent efficiency, and, to a lesser degree, very good Transient Load Test results. The unit was also generally quiet, though it did have a weird hiccup at 75% load and 100v AC input. Probably the "worst" thing about the S12G-550 was the unit's documentation but it has a solid 5 year warranty. In the end, that brings us down to this unit's cost. Looking around the web today, we find that this unit can be had for around $85.39 with Free Prime Shipping. This may seem to be a bit high for an entry level 550W unit than what most people would like to see perhaps, but that is actually relatively good for quality 550 watt units today and the price point is certainly not offensive as was the case for the comparable (in market segment only) Corsair CS550M.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes but I mean, we're comparing two units - one has issues with the +5V and +5VSB rails, the other doesn't

problems i have with it

i don't see testing results, i see old and retired units compare to it... so I'll keep it on skeptical for now

and you know... minor rail problems are more common than you think

example from a tomshardware review, the focus

3.3V transient response

under downsides...

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

but that is actually relatively good for quality 550 watt units today and the price point is certainly not offensive as was the case for the comparable (in market segment only) Corsair CS550M.

And a year later with the launch of the hydro x the exact same was said. 

It being a good unit at its asking price of 85$ with the downsides of it not being modular. 

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

problems i have with it

i don't see testing results, i see old and retired units compare to it... so I'll keep it on skeptical for now

and you know... minor rail problems are more common than you think

example from a tomshardware review, the focus

under downsides...

3.3 Transiet issues is listed for the Hydro X too, though.

And you have tests on the G-series from JohnyGURU - the G-series are basically modular S12G models

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2017/09/18/seasonic-focus-plus-850-gold-power-supply/6/

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

And a year later with the launch of the hydro x the exact same was said. 

It being a good unit at its asking price of 85$ with the downsides of it not being modular. 

Like I said, both are good - the S12G is just slightly better and quieter. Idk why you're trying to fight a war over it.

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Like I said, both are good - the S12G is just slightly better and quieter. Idk why you're trying to fight a war over it.

Efficiency is the same. Noise is the same form what i can gather. 

Im just running in accordance with the tier list where the hydro x is rated as a better PSU. 

@LienusLateTips can correct if thats a misstake or not, but it appears from that to be the better one. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Efficiency is the same. Noise is the same form what i can gather. 

Im just running in accordance with the tier list where the hydro x is rated as a better PSU. 

@LienusLateTips can correct if thats a misstake or not, but it appears from that to be the better one. 

I've linked reviews with results and testing - both have meh 3.3V rails, the X has meh 5V rails whereas the S12G is fine - therefore, it's better. Also, the S12G is not present on the new list.

9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

3.3 Transiet issues is listed for the Hydro X too, though

i wanted to show they're common

and that review was done before the problems with it were discovered, more info here

and just for the notice, i have nothing against seasonic, or RSY, who actually manufacture for seasonic

i wanted to show they're common

and that review was done before the problems with it were discovered, more info here

and just for the notice, i have nothing against seasonic, or RSY, who actually manufacture for seasonic

Yeah, I know about the Focus Plus but the S12G isn't the same as the Focus Plus.

And yes, I know you're objective. I'm just annoyed cause today I saw someone being told the M12II was dangerous - old, yes. Dangerous - not.

Just now, 5x5 said:

dangerous - old, yes. Dangerous - not.

it's... subjective

the m12ii lacks uvp, so it can be

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

it's... subjective

True - it's very old but upgrading from that to a VS450 doesn't seem too good imo (like that thread was being railroaded)

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's... subjective

Also - here is an example of blind brand hatred for the sake of not agreeing with the mainstream. Never judge based on brand or reputation - always review the model.

image.png.ac5d6f0154787684cb46dc2db646871e.png

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

True - it's very old but upgrading from that to a VS450 doesn't seem too good imo (like that thread was being railroaded)

ah, i see... to defend the guy who said that... the vs does have uvp

but yeah, something like a cx or system power 9 would've been so much better, just for dcdc already

but I'm derailing

ah, i see... to defend the guy who said that... the vs does have uvp

but yeah, something like a cx or system power 9 would've been so much better, just for dcdc already

but I'm derailing

Yeah - anyhow - you have people saying "SeaSonic is shady" every time someone asks about them now - which makes me wonder why? I mean, the cheaper units are outdated - very much so. But shady, come on.

Anyhow - derailing aside - imo the S12G doesn't deserve the Focus Plus treatment without any real reports of issues.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yeah - anyhow - you have people saying "SeaSonic is shady" every time someone asks about them now - which makes me wonder why? I mean, the cheaper units are outdated - very much so. But shady, come on.

actually i agree, somewhat... similar with superflower. you should never trust a brand, and seasonic doesn't have the best lineup out there. i personally would never buy a s12ii, m12ii, focus, s12iii or prime at their current pricepoints, because they all have downsides or even lack important things (to me)

like their allergy for multirail

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

imo the S12G doesn't deserve the Focus Plus treatment without any real reports of issues.

but I'll treat it like any other PSU from that time and just say it's old, and i have no info at this time of the protections, as I've only read that jonnyguru review, which doesn't include that anymore

I cannot confirm the safety of the S12G nor will I say that it's unsafe.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

I cannot confirm the safety of the S12G nor will I say that it's unsafe.

I think it, s pretty safe , uses a SITI PS223 IC with i think full protections. 

As to @Gerr , the build quality between both PSUs seem to be similar , and the transient response , ripple etc. are well within atx spec for both psus. However i will say that above a 200W load the Seasonic tends to get VERY noisy (above 40 dba according to aris , i think around 300w or so it reaches 45dba+)

Just now, hello_there_123 said:

I think it, s pretty safe , uses a SITI PS223 IC with i think full protections. 

As to @Gerr , the build quality between both PSUs seem to be similar , and the transient response , ripple etc. are well within atx spec for both psus. However i will say that above a 200W load the Seasonic tends to get VERY noisy (above 40 dba according to aris , i think around 300w or so it reaches 45dba+)

^^^ see I said that so someone else will do my job.

Both the Hydro X and S12G are pretty meh. Get whatever is cheaper.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

wow...this got a bit heated...Though talking about the new PSU list...and not discriminating via brand...is very hypocritical...especially when people test some of these units...even from the d list...and suggest that they are pretty decent........and since these are from johnnyguru/anandtech...among other sites....I think I will agree with those sites...instead of this sites...list. though if there was more detail linked somewhere about why certain brands or types of psu are tiered different from others...that are extremely similar in performance...

lots of brand hate I see...at least with the limited data available...while these other sites usually talk about their tests ...and why each particular unit...is good/bad...ignoring brand except for its manufacturing data.

1 hour ago, thx1138 said:

especially when people test some of these units...even from the d list...and suggest that they are pretty decent.......

links please

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

7 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Also - here is an example of blind brand hatred for the sake of not agreeing with the mainstream. Never judge based on brand or reputation - always review the model.

What?

I am talking about undeserving rep for allways being good. Nothing against seasonic.......

And this is blind hatred because?

7 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

^^^ see I said that so someone else will do my job.

Both the Hydro X and S12G are pretty meh. Get whatever is cheaper.

reread... i'm dumb.

Sell whichever one sells for more in your country. Both are roughly equal from my knowledge.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

What?

I am talking about undeserving rep for allways being good. Nothing against seasonic.......

And this is blind hatred because?

I was talking about the post you replies to. Sorry for any misconception. 

18 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I was talking about the post you replies to. Sorry for any misconception. 

Oh, sorry, but i saw the blue outline around my answer, and o assumed you were reffering to me.