Which 450W PSU to keep?

Gerr

I need to sell a computer and have two decent PSU's and not sure which one to keep and which one to include in the sale of the PC.

PSU#1 = Seasonic S12G 450W Gold (purchased late 2015)

PSU#2 = FSP Hydro X 450W Gold (purchased early 2017)

Similar PSU's...both 450W & Gold rated, and have similar reviews.  The FSP was in a gaming PC for about 6 months with fairly heavy use while the Seasonic was in a 24/7 home server for a year.  The one I keep will go into my kid's PC which is an Haswell i5 ITX build with a GTX 1060 3GB in it, so nothing that needs a heavy amount of power.

Thoughts?

The S12G is an extremely good unit and very quiet under load. Keep that and sell the Hydro. 

33 minutes ago, Gerr said:

PSU#2 = FSP Hydro X 450W Gold (purchased early 2017)

This is the highest quality unit among the two. As supported by the PSU list on the forum. 

46 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The S12G is an extremely good unit and very quiet under load. Keep that and sell the Hydro. 

Edit: when has the S12G ever been an extremely good unit? 

16 minutes ago, thx1138 said:

I would agree. Keep the S12G

Quality wise the FSP hydro x is a better unit. The S12 series from seasonic have never been amazing. 

Edit2: i dont see why people recommend seasonic blindly assuming its better because they havent heard of the other brand. 

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Edit: when has the S12G ever been an extremely good unit? 

Quality wise the FSP hydro x is a better unit. The S12 series from seasonic have never been amazing. 

Edit2: i dont see why people recommend seasonic blindly assuming its better because they havent heard of the other brand. 

The S12G is not in any way connected to the S12II or M12II - it has always been an extremely good unit and close to the X-series

4 minutes ago, thx1138 said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/fsp-hgx550/12.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/seasonic-ssr-450rt/11.html
(johnnyguru/anandtech/etc)

They are both decent units. though you might be right with the FSP being slightly better?

I remembered wrong which Seasonic model. should've re-looked it up to make sure I was remembering correctly

The S12G is the better out of the two

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?12246-Preview-Seasonic-S12G-550-W-(SSR-550RT)-Hardwareinsights

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7761/seasonic-s12g-650w-power-supply-review

Today we witnessed the reason why Seasonic is so popular amongst enthusiasts and advanced users. The 650W version of the S12G is not the cheapest of its range and class, it has no extravagant features, and it is not even modular. When you look at it, it is yet another all-black ATX PSU; not even the ribbon-like black cables are in any way special nowadays. You can easily find an 80 Plus Gold certified and modular 650W PSU for around the same price.

On the other hand, when it comes to build and power quality, the Seasonic S12G can easily make most of its competition shudder. Seasonic usually picks very high quality components for their units and the S12G is no exception, with most of the primary components and all of the capacitors coming from Japanese brands -- and the S12G is their mainstream series, not their high-end brand! That alone says a lot about Seasonic's commitment to quality and why they so easily cover a mainstream unit with a five-year warranty.

Looking at the performance charts and tables, the Seasonic S12G could probably be offering the best all-around performance within its price range. The DC output power quality is excellent and the voltage ripple suppression is remarkable. Since voltage ripple is directly correlated with the longevity of electronic equipment, especially capacitors (it causes self-heating), very low ripple readings benefit the durability of your system's components. The energy conversion efficiency is very high and it maintains its high efficiency and quiet operation even inside a very warm environment.

Its Achilles' heel is that the S12G tends to run a little hot if heavily loaded for prolonged periods of time while inside a very warm environment; however, the only real-world scenario that we can imagine that would replicate such conditions is that of a powerful cryptocoin mining system built inside a poorly designed chassis. If you are planning to use the Seasonic S12G for powering such a system in a $20 case, that probably is a bad idea. However, if you are looking to buy a PSU for its high quality and performance and consider aesthetics and modularity to be secondary or unnecessary features, the Seasonic S12G is definitely worthy of strong consideration.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

The S12G is not in any way connected to the S12II or M12II - it has always been an extremely good unit and close to the X-series

Except its not extremely good......

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Even this forum post from 2015 (not a review) isnt positive regarding the PSU.....

@LienusLateTips or @Stefan Payne can most likely give a better answer tham what i can

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Even this forum post from 2015 (not a review) isnt positive regarding the PSU.....

@LienusLateTips or @Stefan Payne can most likely give a better answer tham what i can

Look at the Anandtech review above. Specifically, read:

Looking at the performance charts and tables, the Seasonic S12G could probably be offering the best all-around performance within its price range. The DC output power quality is excellent and the voltage ripple suppression is remarkable. Since voltage ripple is directly correlated with the longevity of electronic equipment, especially capacitors (it causes self-heating), very low ripple readings benefit the durability of your system's components. The energy conversion efficiency is very high and it maintains its high efficiency and quiet operation even inside a very warm environment.

Its Achilles' heel is that the S12G tends to run a little hot if heavily loaded for prolonged periods of time while inside a very warm environment; however, the only real-world scenario that we can imagine that would replicate such conditions is that of a powerful cryptocoin mining system built inside a poorly designed chassis. If you are planning to use the Seasonic S12G for powering such a system in a $20 case, that probably is a bad idea. However, if you are looking to buy a PSU for its high quality and performance and consider aesthetics and modularity to be secondary or unnecessary features, the Seasonic S12G is definitely worthy of strong consideration.

I don't get the SeaSonic hate these days.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Also - it's higher on the Legacy tier list than the Hydro X

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-21-legacy/

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Another complaint about poor OPP implementation......

Are you just being willfully ignorant? While also ignoring the PSU tier list?

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I don't get the SeaSonic hate these days

Its mostly down to the fans who just recommend seasonic for no good reason. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Another complaint about poor OPP implementation......

Are you just being willfully ignorant? While also ignoring the PSU tier list?

Its mostly down to the fans who just recommend seasonic for no good reason. 

The OPP Implementation is perfectly fine as evident from the review I linked. The S12G has a solid overload headroom before it shuts down at 550W or so (for the 450W model above)- did you even read or are you ignoring the evidence? Also, @LienusLateTips personally put it in a higher tier than the Hydro X - this is not me being ignorant, it's me advocating for a better product. In this case, the S12G

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Also - it's higher on the Legacy tier list than the Hydro X

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-21-legacy/

Using the up to date non-legacy tier list that ks being updated the hydro x is tier A compared to Tier B. Tier B being where the S12G lays together with its similarly rated friends from the older list.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Using the up to date non-legacy tier list that ks being updated the hydro x is tier A compared to Tier B. Tier B being where the S12G lays together with its similarly rated friends from the older list.

Yes, the newer Hydro X models are better - but the OP has the old one from 2017. Idk why you are trying to get the OP to use a worse power supply...malice or just brand hatred towards anything SeaSonic?

15 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

there's quite a difference between how s12g and x(p2) aged though...

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

there's quite a difference between how s12g and x(p2) aged though...

Can you link to testing between the old Hydro X models and S12G models with modern standards cause from everything I am reading atm, I can't make an argument for it.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

has the old one from 2017.

with the new one you mean the ge? that one's actually worse than the g

Just now, 5x5 said:

Can you link to testing between the old Hydro X models and S12G models with modern standards cause from everything I am reading atm, I can't make an argument for it.

it's hard... because they're out of different times. I'd suggest looking at results, not conclusions

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

it's hard... because they're out of different times. I'd suggest looking at results, not conclusions

I am - so far I'm seeing two very similar units with the Hydro X running louder for no real benefit.

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fsp-hydro-x-450-power-supply,4495-10.html

Also, can we acknowledge this part?

On the other hand, weaknesses include a high MSRP, the 3.3V rail's performance in our advanced transient response tests and loose load regulation on the 5V and 5VSB rails. Moreover, our sample has an internal quality issue that forced us to run our tests twice. We won't judge a product's quality based on one bad apple, but we definitely have to mention it. Additionally, FSP should improve cable management inside of this model and secure that thermistor to the main transformer.

7 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes, the newer Hydro X models are better - but the OP has the old one from 2017. Idk why you are trying to get the OP to use a worse power supply...malice or just brand hatred towards anything SeaSonic?

What new FSP hydro x?

Im reffering to the 2016 model which would be the exact one the OP has. And i cant find any other ones. What other hydro x do you speak of?

Compared to:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-s12g-450-power-supply-review/7/

The only major downside to the S12G range of power supplies is that they are non modular. Modular cabling adds cost however, so it makes sense for Seasonic to hard wire the cabling as they work hard to reduce consumer pricing.  Thankfully Seasonic have adopted flat ribbon cables, although if you are working inside a space restricted case with poor routing capabilities then you may want to look at one of their more expensive modular designs.