Ryzen 3750H Stuck at 400MHz

I have a new Asus Zephyrus laptop with the Ryzen 3750H.

It keeps setting itself to 400MHz or .39 GHz to be exact. 

It doesn't matter if the laptop is on battery or plugged in.

It doesn't matter what power plan it is on.

The only thing that resets the frequency is to reboot the machine.

Within a few minutes, it ends up permanently downclocking itself again.

I installed the new BIOS that was released 2 days ago. It's still not fixed. 

The laptop is not overheating. It doesn't have to even be doing a difficult task.

Same here. It keeps on giving me stutters in games by dropping down to 400 mhz. Tested with power hungry games (Witcher 3 etc) and not-so-much games (Faeria, tables games) and they all stutter at some random point with CPU dropping down to 400 mhz. I tried lowering settings on games, and also tried softwares like Parkcontrol but no luck. I tried the 99% CPU trick on Win10 power setting as well. Tried several BIOS versions and drivers versions. Monitored heat and power consumption but nothing seems unusual. 

its a known bug i believe its down to a bios fault if i remember i seen it on a tech video i did try to look for the video but i recently reset my pc and lost all my browsing history im pretty sure gamers nexus covered it go check out steves channel hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, i own the same laptop and i'm currently having the exact same issue resulting in huge fps drops. I'm on BIOS 208 and also tried 207 without success. Did you figure out what is causing this throttle? I've also tried reinstalling Armoury Crate stuff but the throttle persists. Currently thinking about going back to 206 BIOS, but not sure though if it is safe to keep downgrading. Here are a few articles related to see if you we can figure this together:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1859287#p1859287

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=es&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.pclab.pl%2Ftopic%2F1286610-R7-3750H-throttling-spadki-FPS%2F

Also there´s a best buy review adressing the issue.

I've opened a ticket on ASUS assistance to notice the error. Waiting for response.

• 2 weeks later...

ASUS had me send the laptop in for RMA.

They guarantee me it will be fixed. 

It better damn be for the $30 in shipping I had to pay...

On 9/20/2019 at 10:27 PM, Squilliam said:

ASUS had me send the laptop in for RMA.

They guarantee me it will be fixed. 

It better damn be for the $30 in shipping I had to pay...

Same thing happened to me today. ASUS Support insisted that it was a hardware fault with the CPU and that they would fix it. I'm not convinced since I believe that the bios that came with my laptop (I think it was 204) didn't have that problem. Unfortunately, the older bios versions are not available to download from ASUS website. Planning on sending it in tomorrow unless I can find a way to fix it.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:02 PM, TXLZone said:

Same thing happened to me today. ASUS Support insisted that it was a hardware fault with the CPU and that they would fix it. I'm not convinced since I believe that the bios that came with my laptop (I think it was 204) didn't have that problem. Unfortunately, the older bios versions are not available to download from ASUS website. Planning on sending it in tomorrow unless I can find a way to fix it.

Did you send it already? You can get the 205 BIOS by changing the number in the download link of the older ones. i.e. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/GU502DU/GU502DUAS205.zip?

On 10/1/2019 at 2:53 PM, mussifer said:

Did you send it already? You can get the 205 BIOS by changing the number in the download link of the older ones. i.e. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/GU502DU/GU502DUAS205.zip?

I received it back from the RMA with it still throttling. They're having me mail it back to them.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:53 PM, mussifer said:

Has anybody confirmed that downgrading the BIOS to 205 fixes the issue? I haven't tried it on mine, I just sent it in due to the other issues I had with it. My RMA says they are waiting on parts.

I have the exact same problem for the exact model of laptop (GA502 Asus Zephyrus  with Ryzen 3750H).

I managed to downgrade to BIOS 203 and the problem still shows up (but later in a stress or Gaming situation).

The following BIOS versions all have the .39 GHz power state firmware bug:

203, 205, 206, 207, 208

These are the only ones I have access to. If anyone has 204 I would love to try it.

Personally, I am 95% certain (arbitrary number I know) that this is a BIOS issue with AMD ASGEA.

We need Asus to release a new BIOS that has ASGEA ABBA included.

I am a test engineer for a large fab-less chip company. This kind of dumb problem seems like a firmware issue.

It appears that when the CPU hits max temp, the firmware throttles directly to the lowest power sate.... and stays there until a hard reboot.

Different BIOS's (in my tested list above) behave slightly differently (throttle down at 90 c vs 92 c) but the core (pun intended) issue is that the firmware throttles the chip down to .39 GHz and locks it there.

Found this forum. Different laptop, but somewhat similar spec.

The guy disabled touchpad driver.

I will give it a try tonight.

Howdy Folks!

I have found a Solution that worked for me. First I will list out what I did before.

• Running Bios 2.8 (problem persists)
  • Tried Disconnecting the Batter and Draining (problem persists)
  • Reinstalled Windows 10 1903 from Media Creator USB (problem persists)
  • Tried Updating Firmware via Device Manager (problem persists)
  • Watched behavior of issue from boot - about 10 min each start up
  • Looked around on forums some more
  • CPU Being so low I could barely download any drivers...
  • Opened up Device Manger - Uninstalled the Drivers for the Processor and Rebooted. (This Worked!)

My computer has been running fine now - I have installed the AMD Chipset using the auto-detect tool from amd.com and instead Nvidia Drivers using Geforce Experience (this is due to DHC requirement) Then installed Nvidia Control Panel from the Microsoft Store.

Hope this helps!

-Shadow Keriphin-

I have the same issue I posted everything on the other page

I am trying to install drivers using AMD auto-detect tool, will post where what happens.

Uninstalling the drivers did not help in my case.

This laptop has a major a BIOS design flaw. I’m on RMA #2 for this exact issue, with no end in sight. DO NOT BUY AN ASUS DEVICE WITH AN AMD CHIP.

• 2 weeks later...

After about 10 emails with Asus support, I have managed to get their attention I think.

They asked me to fill out an engineering test form to describe the problem and the solutions I have tried.

I hope (perhaps naively) the detailed form I filled out is getting sent to engineers and not random IT/Support people.

Fingers crossed. If they give me a beta BIOS that works I will immediately upload it here.

Just looking around the web at reviews and theres tonnes of people with the issue of throttling to 400Mhz. I see @Squilliam has been tearing ASUS a new butt hole and I'm loving it. ASUS has been silent on this for months it looks like and it seems nothing has been done. My unit is playable now with Ryzen Controller but we shouldnt have to rely on third party software just to make our units run and not even at its max potential. I've supported ASUS for over two decades but this is the straw that broke the camels back. With so many of us with this issue I think our best bet is to  start a class action lawsuit again ASUS, does this sound like something you guys would be interested in?

On 11/5/2019 at 5:41 AM, Bobbydigital said:

Just looking around the web at reviews and theres tonnes of people with the issue of throttling to 400Mhz. I see @Squilliam has been tearing ASUS a new butt hole and I'm loving it. ASUS has been silent on this for months it looks like and it seems nothing has been done. My unit is playable now with Ryzen Controller but we shouldnt have to rely on third party software just to make our units run and not even at its max potential. I've supported ASUS for over two decades but this is the straw that broke the camels back. With so many of us with this issue I think our best bet is to  start a class action lawsuit again ASUS, does this sound like something you guys would be interested in?

On 10/24/2019 at 12:50 AM, Squilliam said:

This laptop has a major a BIOS design flaw. I’m on RMA #2 for this exact issue, with no end in sight. DO NOT BUY AN ASUS DEVICE WITH AN AMD CHIP.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, parakeetfour said:

I have the exact same problem for the exact model of laptop (GA502 Asus Zephyrus  with Ryzen 3750H).

I managed to downgrade to BIOS 203 and the problem still shows up (but later in a stress or Gaming situation).

The following BIOS versions all have the .39 GHz power state firmware bug:

203, 205, 206, 207, 208

These are the only ones I have access to. If anyone has 204 I would love to try it.

Personally, I am 95% certain (arbitrary number I know) that this is a BIOS issue with AMD ASGEA.

We need Asus to release a new BIOS that has ASGEA ABBA included.

I am a test engineer for a large fab-less chip company. This kind of dumb problem seems like a firmware issue.

It appears that when the CPU hits max temp, the firmware throttles directly to the lowest power sate.... and stays there until a hard reboot.

Different BIOS's (in my tested list above) behave slightly differently (throttle down at 90 c vs 92 c) but the core (pun intended) issue is that the firmware throttles the chip down to .39 GHz and locks it there.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:51 PM, parakeetfour said:

After about 10 emails with Asus support, I have managed to get their attention I think.

They asked me to fill out an engineering test form to describe the problem and the solutions I have tried.

I hope (perhaps naively) the detailed form I filled out is getting sent to engineers and not random IT/Support people.

Fingers crossed. If they give me a beta BIOS that works I will immediately upload it here.

After researching this because it happened to me, I am going to be getting their attention as well. This is definitely class-action worthy if they are refusing to comply. I'm certain it affects more than 50 people. Hopefully they can just roll out a fix, and it's not a hardware defect. 

On 10/4/2019 at 8:28 PM, Squilliam said:

I received it back from the RMA with it still throttling. They're having me mail it back to them.

imo you should return the laptop and grab another model

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

On 11/3/2019 at 12:51 AM, parakeetfour said:

Honestly I'm convinced Asus support is the worst... I had an issue with my modem... They couldn't help me besides "buy a new modem" and when I talked to their "expert"  I asked him if the modem supports Vlan ID,  which he replied to "what is a Vlan ID please?

I'm not really wanting to single them out, I have had similar experiences with all kind of manufacturers,  but that one's pretty much top 5 worst experiences or so,  and also after some rather extensive research their routers / modems really suck,  even the super expensive ones (quality and design issues) 

But in any case I wish everyone luck to get this resolved eventually (I would return and ask for compensation honestly,  but yeah that's something everyone has to decide on their own) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 3 weeks later...

I think I fixed it. Those dips at 400mhz no longer happen to me however I don't know which of my attempts worked and it is very difficult to explain. If someone manages to get me the original factory (with bloatware) I will recreate it and upload it because I can't upload mine now because it is damaged and in the windows clean iso the drivers are hard to configure

Just SW but I think there is also another hardware problem but before saying something I want to check