What would you do with $200,000

ELSknutson
On 8/15/2019 at 3:53 PM, ELSknutson said:

Well my wife and I talked about it and we are planning on buying me a new car anyhow next year but not a Lambo but something nice I would Like a mercedes C63 but anyway if we did get the money we would pay off that car and my Wifes current Car. 

The best way how to waste money uselessly...

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

1 minute ago, comander said:

Managed funds generally seem to match unmanaged funds with one big caveat - they're expensive. A 1% per year management fee means you can expect to lose about 25% of your fund over a 30 year period - that is you keep $3 and the fund manager keeps $1.  

I generally recommend passive ETFs. Think Vanguard. The management fee is more like .01% - think you keep $99 and the fund managers keep $1 after 30 years. This is reasonable (it costs a little bit of money to buy/sell stocks, re-balance portfolios, etc.)

I'm not seeing how the math works here.

4 minutes ago, comander said:

Managed funds generally seem to match unmanaged funds with one big caveat - they're expensive. A 1% per year management fee means you can expect to lose about 25% of your fund over a 30 year period - that is you keep $3 and the fund manager keeps $1.  

I generally recommend passive ETFs. Think Vanguard. The management fee is more like .01% - think you keep $99 and the fund managers keep $1 after 30 years. This is reasonable (it costs a little bit of money to buy/sell stocks, re-balance portfolios, etc.)

You keep $3 and they keep $1 would be a 25% management fee, not 1%...

But you're saying that over 30 years, a 1% annual fee will add up to 25% of... what? The total portfolio in the end? Deposits only?]

I think you need to clarify.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 minutes ago, comander said:

(100% - 1%)^30 = .99^30 = 0.7397004 ~= 74%

There's a dash more complexity due to the fact that the returns are variable but that's directionally correct. Each year you loose 1% to fees for basically nothing in return. 85% of funds fail to beat the S&P and passive ETFs are laughingly close to the S&P

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/05/21/why-mutual-funds-are-such-a-rip-off.aspx

A single fund, with no additional deposits, with a 1%/year management fee (fairly normal) over a 30 year span will have ~25% of its value leeched away relative to a 0-management fee (or even a near-0).

This holds true (or approximately true) under a wide range of assumptions. If you go up by 5%/year... that increase is also affected by the 1% fee. 

(100% - 1% + 5%)^30 ~= 74% * (100% + 5%)^30

The main complexities arise when dealing with the tax implications of certain investment strategies, handling dividends, etc. To speak intelligently in this area I would need to review a bit from the days I thought I'd be doing something in finance. 

I would agree that most managed funds are not necessarily a good deal. I use a passive ETF myself and it works well. Granted, I still consider it "managed" in the sense that they create the portfolio, make sure you're always balanced, and they occasionally tweak stuff.

But their management fees are very low (Free under certain amounts, typically).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If I had $200k to spare

1) Lasic

2) Dental surgery

3) Either retire off it on a low living cost country, or start my own business, probably something tech related I don't know. I'll worry about that when I get to that number.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

• 2 weeks later...

1. Pay back loans if you have any

2. Maybe make money buffer little bit larger

3. Find some improvement on the house that is needed.

4. Donate to charity

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

If you don't need it for medical expenses, give it to someone who needs it

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

An ex of mine was also medically discharged, he used the funds received from the VA to help him move and enroll in nursing school. And he also bought a top of the line (at the time) Surface 3 Pro.

If I were in your position, after everything else is taken care of, I would probably look at opportunities to contribute to a scholarship or charity that support veterans. I'm of course, biased from my experiences with the ex.

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

Visit online friends. Even those who are across the pond. 

Probably build a really dank home gym and drop 100k in to an index fund.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

On 8/30/2019 at 4:29 AM, SnowWolf370 said:

What a... Repulsive brag topic.

Donate it all to charity. You have everything you need, and you're getting that monthly 2,000$ + paycheck from work.

So yeah.

You can have everything you need with a minimum wage job? 2k per month is 24k annual... 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Pay off what little debt we have and put the rest towards buying a house. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 8/15/2019 at 4:36 PM, Drak3 said:

M107A1 and some accessories.

New chassis cab truck + material to make a custom bed and bumper.

Nah, Tesla Model S.

3 minutes ago, Catchears said:

Nah, Tesla Model S.

No. I will never look at Tesla as anything more than a vulgar waste of steel, lithium, and silicon.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

You can have everything you need with a minimum wage job? 2k per month is 24k annual... 

To be fair, we have to make some assumptions about the taxation of the money.

$2K monthly (assuming you actually get paid $2K after deductions), is somewhere around $30K yearly - this will depend on where you live, and what taxes you pay. I'm going off of Ontario/Canada income tax, which is middle of the road.

If the $200K was paid as a lump sum, you'd almost certainly be taxed as income for it - which would mean you'd lose about $74,000 to taxes, and you'd get $126K in actual cash. However, it might be tax exempt.

Aside from all of that, your regular pay cheque plus an extra $2K monthly really would mean for most people that they can afford anything they want. An extra $2K a month would easily put me into "upper middle class" income, borderline lower upper class.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

To be fair, we have to make some assumptions about the taxation of the money.

$2K monthly (assuming you actually get paid $2K after deductions), is somewhere around $30K yearly - this will depend on where you live, and what taxes you pay. I'm going off of Ontario/Canada income tax, which is middle of the road.

If the $200K was paid as a lump sum, you'd almost certainly be taxed as income for it - which would mean you'd lose about $74,000 to taxes, and you'd get $126K in actual cash. However, it might be tax exempt.

Aside from all of that, your regular pay cheque plus an extra $2K monthly really would mean for most people that they can afford anything they want. An extra $2K a month would easily put me into "upper middle class" income, borderline lower upper class.

This is government funded money and is Tax Exempt  so the $200K is actualy $200k and the $2K a month is actually $2K a month

if the house is paid off then send your kids to college or reinvest it somewhere to generate a bit of extra regular income from it. idk about over there but around here real estate is really lucrative right now. or you know spend it on experiences with your family. always better than material stuffs. go on some awesome vacations with your kids and make memories with them. maybe something educational for them where they get to experience different cultures and stuff. 200k buys alot vacations. 

as a younger person with no house, wife, kids yet i would try and invest it somewhere or put into savings until i actually do want to buy/build a house.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Increase the value of your house ... if you're in a good area, add solar panels on the roof of your house, do a tesla power wall, be less reliant on outside stuff.

Maybe evaluate if it would be cheaper to have in-floor heating instead of air conditioning (have pipes with hot water in the floor instead of pushing hot air around)

Throw 10-20k into Ethereum or Bitcoin or whatever amount you won't feel so bad about losing in worst case scenario... it fluctuates a lot, but chances are at some point they may have peaks where you'd sell the currency for a profit.

Think long term like 6m to a year at minimum...