Quadrupling the the price for LTT on Float plane. just to start!!!!

Linus > Brandon
15 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Bundled subscriptions is an idea that we are aware of but not something that we have made a solid decision on yet

I think bundled subscriptions is going to be essential, but instead of making it LMG speciifc which can create conflict between the other users on floatplane there is a much simplier solution:

1 channel: Base price.

2 channels: Small discount.

3 channels: Moderate discount.

etc etc

"What if some content creators dont want do get less money"

A: well as you said most of that $3 goes to payment fees so getting more money from a single transaction is benficial. So in fact they will be getting the same or more. (Simply hard cap the discount once it not longer reduces cost.)

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Youtube was ad free. Because I use an Ad Blocker. At $8 a month Ill have to pass. 

I was referring to the ad/sponsor spots baked into the actual videos...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 8/6/2019 at 3:10 AM, LinusTech said:

So to be clear, $3 subs are being grandfathered. Dial back the anger because if you're already subscribed NOTHING has changed. 

At some point the plan IS for that to be for LTT only (including the bts and exclusive stuff) BUT I've left room to reverse that decision. We're just bumping the LMG price to $5 for now. 

The decision here was made to ensure that LMG doesn't create an unrealistic bar for other creators on Floatplane to meet. We will lose some subs, but at the end of the day LMG's loss could be the gain of another smaller creator (like eposvox, Kyle or tech deals) and I'm comfortable with that. 

Understand that fp is closer to a patreon-like model (supporting creators you like) than a Netflix model (paying to watch exclusive content). These changes are to ensure that a greater portion of the money being contributed is going to the creator vs the platform or payment processor. 

I'd like to offer some constructive criticism, while being fully aware that I don't know the first thing about running a business like LMG or Floatplane, and thus that my views may be naive.

Next time you're going to announce a big change like this, spend more time making the final decision and practicing the announcement before you do it. Watching the WAN Show I ended up very confused on what was going to happen, and I left feeling very sorry for the Floatplane subscribers. You seemed to change your decision multiple times throughout the discussion, and for anyone on a tight budget that must have been stressful.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, TrigrH said:

I think bundled subscriptions is going to be essential, but instead of making it LMG speciifc which can create conflict between the other users on floatplane there is a much simplier solution:

1 channel: Base price.

2 channels: Small discount.

3 channels: Moderate discount.

etc etc

"What if some content creators dont want do get less money"

A: well as you said most of that $3 goes to payment fees so getting more money from a single transaction is benficial. So in fact they will be getting the same or more. (Simply hard cap the discount once it not longer reduces cost.)

Thoughts?

It's more down to the technical challenges than whether we want to do it or not.

Billing is really complicated (especially taxation)

@LinusTech

Hi Linus, will it be possible (or will you think about a way) to get a year subscription (once they come back) as an OG at the OG price for a year?

Just wondering if it would be possible!
Thanks anyway if you think about it! 

@LinusTech will there be a time when you will be able to explain what has been going on with FP. Like all the programming, protocols, business items needed to be done to make something like this possible.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

28 minutes ago, DaiGurenMK42 said:

@LinusTech will there be a time when you will be able to explain what has been going on with FP. Like all the programming, protocols, business items needed to be done to make something like this possible.

Eventually that'd be pretty sick. 

Im coming in from not knowing what exactly floatplane was, just heard about it a bunch.  The fact its a independent platform is super cool but this is honestly a bit heartbreaking finding out what it is and how much potentially signing up for it all would be.  Maybe a foreign example to some but crunchyroll asks me about $7 a month for all their content, which is massive.  Even if a total subscription to all the content creators wasn't that low, its too high to sign up for multiple creators right now, and no offense to any of the channels involved but i wouldn't want to pay $5 or even 8$ for just one of them.   

On 8/9/2019 at 11:59 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I was referring to the ad/sponsor spots baked into the actual videos...

those kind of ads are kinda ok since i usually listen to the videos on the side until its something that i'm interested in. unlike youtube ads that either arent relevant to you or in the wrong language or downright annoying and worse if they cant be skipped...runnning in FHD while you are on mobile data(i watch videos in 480p on a Mate 9).

well, there's a saying for stuff on the internet, if its very cheap or free, you are the product.

google finally understands that i'm into Japan related stuff since i booked a ticket last year and went there last month, stayed at a couple places. i dont mind... but now i get scummy ads about FBA workshops/courses that use a similar script with MLM/Pyramid schemes.

i'm amazed google allows such ads to run... then again the scummy ads are paid for.

12 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Im coming in from not knowing what exactly floatplane was, just heard about it a bunch.  The fact its a independent platform is super cool but this is honestly a bit heartbreaking finding out what it is and how much potentially signing up for it all would be.  Maybe a foreign example to some but crunchyroll asks me about $7 a month for all their content, which is massive.  Even if a total subscription to all the content creators wasn't that low, its too high to sign up for multiple creators right now, and no offense to any of the channels involved but i wouldn't want to pay $5 or even 8$ for just one of them.   

The thing is, and this really isn't emphasized enough, it's about donating for creators. Just like subscribing on Twitch, or donating on YouTube or Patreon. CrunchyRoll, Netflix and whatnot are really different types of services. And they will eventually raise their pricing too. Netflix has already started its with HD and 4k being more than $8 basic SD.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A solid point but as a consumer a one price access all is more appealing than multiple prices.  But each to their own. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 hour ago, Kierax said:

A solid point but as a consumer a one price access all is more appealing than multiple prices.  But each to their own. 

If thats how you see it, then you are in the group that doesn't understand what the service is meant for.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

If thats how you see it, then you are in the group that doesn't understand what the service is meant for.

Fair enough, I hope the group that it is meant for is sizeable enough to support it. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.