Crytocurrencies everywhere plummet in wake of recent arrest and upcoming china ban

nicehat

aVn5ABf.gif

Following the arrest of Charlie Shrem (CEO of Bitcoin exchange Bitinstant) for money laundering on 1/26 at JFK, cryptocurrencies everywhere plummeted. He was accused selling more than 1 million of bitcoin through Silk Road.

While most currencies suffered even great losses (litecoin fell more than 12%, dogecoin fell 14% and lesser-known infinitecoin saw its value fall by more than 25%), only vertcoin, which is worth $0.36 per coin, saw growth, up nearly 13%

Another currency, Fedora, suffered the heaviest 24-hour loss, tumbling almost 45%, while the world's most valuable (and sought after) crypto-coin, 42 Coin, fell by 16% to $258,486 per coin. The funny thing about 42 coin is that only one coin exists out of a total of 42 which can ever be mined. 

Another reason for the drop is the upcoming Jan 31 ban by the People's Bank of China. Other international players like Bank of Russia have also come out of the woodwork, declaring bitcoin trading a "high risk activity". The bank went on to warn citizens and businesses, especially financial institutions, about the risks associated with using crypto-currencies.

These losses also come New York's financial regulator begins a two-day hearing to discuss the future of bitcoin and crypto-currencies as a whole. All we can be sure about is that more uncertainty and drops in value may be in the immediate future for all currencies. At least thats what I think. What about you guys? 

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bitcoin-litecoin-dogecoin-more-all-report-heavy-losses-wake-shrem-arrest-1434099

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bitcoin-exchange-ceo-charlie-shrem-arrested-money-laundering-charge-1434037

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

exactly why I never invested in them WAAY TO VOLATILE :P 

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

Dat Meme is awesome... Link?

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

That's funny I just got my brother into mining yesterday. I wondered why the difficulty was so low!

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Please, let AMD GPU prices go back down!

Didn't china ban coins twice already?

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Please, let AMD GPU prices go back down!

Didn't china ban coins twice already?

they can ban them as much as they want

even ban reincarnation

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't understand people who invest in buttcoins (pardon my silliness), of which there are many. Seriously, why would anyone want to invest now? It's extremely unlikely that a single bitcoin will be worth tens of thousands of dollars, and I feel like it has already reached a target price of maybe around 1000 USD per BTC. The huge amount of fluctuation in bitcoin prices also makes it a very unsafe investment (lucky bastard who bought his damn tesla at the peak BTC price), and those that made huge amounts of money have already cashed in (the very early adopters) 

/End of rant

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Lower value = lower difficultly = mine more coins.

only lower difficulty if people stop mining, if everyone else thinks the same to you, it just means difficulty will still keep going up :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Guys... get ready to buy up all the cheap GPU's on ebay and other used stuff sites. an R9-290 may return to its orignial value :DD

cheap coins=no profitability=massive selling of GPU's

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I think some people will start mining even more now. We've all seen how these currencies jump back up in value even after steep plunges. Good way to make some money.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I don't understand people who invest in buttcoins (pardon my silliness), of which there are many. Seriously, why would anyone want to invest now? It's extremely unlikely that a single bitcoin will be worth tens of thousands of dollars, and I feel like it has already reached a target price of maybe around 1000 USD per BTC. The huge amount of fluctuation in bitcoin prices also makes it a very unsafe investment (lucky bastard who bought his damn tesla at the peak BTC price), and those that made huge amounts of money have already cashed in (the very early adopters) 

/End of rant

12 months ago, a bitcoin was worth like $20-30 USD. Many people said the same thing as you (Why would you invest in bitcoins? They've ALREADY reached $30 a coin!). If the coin crashes below $1000, especially if it's a significant crash, then it will likely go back up over time. The bitcoin has actually been fairly stable in value over the last several months.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 months ago, a bitcoin was worth like $20-30 USD. Many people said the same thing as you (Why would you invest in bitcoins? They've ALREADY reached $30 a coin!). If the coin crashes below $1000, especially if it's a significant crash, then it will likely go back up over time. The bitcoin has actually been fairly stable in value over the last several months.

Yes, but that was not really my point. My point is that 12 months ago, nearly nobody knew about bitcoins. But ever since it's appearance in media, the price has inflated to the point of coming close to 1000$ a piece for one, and that is mostly due to speculators that bought them up in the (stupid) hope that it would increase in price dramatically the same way it did 2 years ago. And now, just like you said the price has stayed mostly constant between the 400 to 900$ mark (although that's still a heck of a lot of fluctuation).

Besides, would you really want to invest in a currency that is owned 10% by one unknown user by the nickname of Satoshi? Imagine if 10% of dollars circulating were all owned by one guy. It would be ridiculous and extremely scary. The day that this user decides to somehow cash in, the value of bitcoins will plummet. 

The legality of the coin and the tax evasion schemes that could be perpetrated through it already show that this is a very unsafe currency to invest in. This very thread is an example of that. 

The early adopters of bitcoin made tons of money, but now that it's gone mainstream I find it extremely unlikely that a drastic increase in value will develop. Heck I'm willing to bet that in one year's time, it will still be worth less than 1000$. At that rate, it would be wiser to just do it the old fashioned way and invest in stocks or something. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Yes, but that was not really my point. My point is that 12 months ago, nearly nobody knew about bitcoins. But ever since it's appearance in media, the price has inflated to the point of coming close to 1000$ a piece for one, and that is mostly due to speculators that bought them up in the (stupid) hope that it would increase in price dramatically the same way it did 2 years ago. And now, just like you said the price has stayed mostly constant between the 400 to 900$ mark (although that's still a heck of a lot of fluctuation).

Besides, would you really want to invest in a currency that is owned 10% by one unknown user by the nickname of Satoshi? Imagine if 10% of dollars circulating were all owned by one guy. It would be ridiculous and extremely scary. The day that this user decides to somehow cash in, the value of bitcoins will plummet. 

The legality of the coin and the tax evasion schemes that could be perpetrated through it already show that this is a very unsafe currency to invest in. This very thread is an example of that. 

The early adopters of bitcoin made tons of money, but now that it's gone mainstream I find it extremely unlikely that a drastic increase in value will develop. Heck I'm willing to bet that in one year's time, it will still be worth less than 1000$. At that rate, it would be wiser to just do it the old fashioned way and invest in stocks or something. 

My landlord asked me about investing in bitcoins the other day. For better or worse, I said to him 'If schmucks like you and me are finding out about them now, it's already too late to invest."

CPU: AMD FX-8350 █ MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+ █ FAN: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM █ RAM: Ballitix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 █ GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB █ SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM █ PSU: EVGA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V █ Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tow Monitor: Dell P2414H 23.8"

I can't be the only one who thought that OP said Charlie Sheen for a second lmao

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"