What’s the best USB modem in 2019?

GrantCSmith

Hi I’m sorry if this doesn’t fit the networking category per se , but I’d like to ask what the best USB modem in regards to latency/speed? Also are there any usb c types of it?

I wanted one to connect my Mac  to my PC via VNC/remote access and was curious if the latency wouldn’t kill it?

2 minutes ago, GrantCSmith said:

Hi I’m sorry if this doesn’t fit the networking category per se , but I’d like to ask what the best USB modem in regards to latency/speed? Also are there any usb c types of it?

I wanted one to connect my Mac  to my PC via VNC/remote access and was curious if the latency wouldn’t kill it?

Are you sure you want specifically a modem?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Are you sure you want specifically a modem?

Yea preferably , since I wanted to take it with me 

Just now, GrantCSmith said:

Yea preferably , since I wanted to take it with me 

What sort of a modem do you mean, then? DSL? 4G/LTE? Cable?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

What sort of a modem do you mean, then? DSL? 4G/LTE? Cable?

I meant a mobile one sorry if it was a little unclear , but I thought that modem means mobile router anyways , preferably 4G/LTE

9 hours ago, GrantCSmith said:

I meant a mobile one sorry if it was a little unclear , but I thought that modem means mobile router anyways , preferably 4G/LTE

The term modem is generally used for the part that translates between Ethernet (but not always, old USB modems would let your PC do all the work translating) and whatever network the broadband is coming from being DSL, LTE, Cable, etc.

Typically these days you will use a router that includes a modem, but doesn't necessarily give you direct access to it.  This can be a blessing or a curse, depending on your usage scenario, but generally just makes things easier as even if you plug it in via USB your PC will see it as a virtual network adapter so it will "just work".

As to which is best, I will have to let someone else pick that up as I have very little experience.  Although I'm seriously looking at the HTC 5G Hub right now.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

15 hours ago, GrantCSmith said:

Your best bet is to go to your provider and buy one from them. This ensures that the modem in question supports the bands that your provider uses. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.