Any new SSDs worth waiting for?

mattdmg

I am looking to upgrade my storage to a Samsung 970 Evo NVMe. Is there any new SSD technologies coming out within this year that are worth waiting for? 

You probably don't need a high end NVMe drive, anyway. What are you planning to do?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, LienusLateTips said:

You probably don't need a high end NVMe drive, anyway. What are you planning to do?

Gaming. I thought it would possibly help to eliminate stuttering in certain games

Just now, mattdmg said:

Gaming. I thought it would possibly help to eliminate stuttering in certain games

Not at all, over a regular SSD. Save your money, and get something like the Crucial MX500, Intel 660p, or the HP EX900.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

19 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

Makes 0 difference.

Buy a regular sata SSD for a lower price so that you can get a larger size instead.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Makes 0 difference.

Buy a regular sata SSD for a lower price so that you can get a larger size instead.

This or buy the older generation of the top end SSD when they are on EOL clearance, either way you'll get great performance for your dollar.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm in no rush currently but I want to see the new samsung Pro on PCIe 4.0.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

you may notice a difference in load times with nvme over ssd, i think my pc is under 10 seconds with the nvme.  but for performance in gaming, not likely or worth the upgrade.. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

7 minutes ago, jerkwagon said:

you may notice a difference in load times with nvme over ssd, i think my pc is under 10 seconds with the nvme.  but for performance in gaming, not likely or worth the upgrade.. 

yeah boot performance is super fast with my samsung 950 pro 512gb that i got long time ago (before the 960 came out) i was overwhelmed by the boot speed from a samsug 840 evo ssd to the 950 pro,like you turn it on and theres windows lol basically blink and its booted! and i do notice games that have long load screens tend to be much faster on that thing.but thats just my performance and it doesnt mean everyone else will get the same.

Since I was about to ask more or less that question too, what are we expecting / what is already on the market on the PCIe4 storage front ?

I think that for gaming you would be very satisfied with the 970 Evo NVMe drive. I most games care more about the CPU and GPU for reducing stuttering in games. Plus what monitor you are using and its refresh rate/ the milliseconds in lag (2-4ms would be about as good as most people would need).

The main benefit you would get with an NVMe drive is in loading levels of games and not the actual gameplay itself (and I doubt you would experience faster loading of game assets unless it is a graphically intense game like Shadow of the Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy). However, as long as you are using at least a SSD you should experience good performance in games.

For me the main benefit to a NVMe is snappier response while using Windows 10 opening and closing programs and moving files on and off the drive. You would also benefit from a NVMe if you were using it to scrub through videos while editing them or running other intense productivity software.

Here is a video I found that explains the differences between different types of SSDs:

This is a video that shows the loading times of different games using a mechanical HDD, SATA and NVMe SSds:

Here is a video that compares SATA and NVMe and the effect on gaming: 

I hope you find these to be helpful :)

I have been looking into the new 4.0 PCIe NVMe drives and was blown away at the insane speeds shown on the benchmarks I saw with 5GB/sec for seq read and 4.2 GB/sec for seq write. In comparison my 960 EVO NVMe drive has 3GB/sec seq read and 1.5GB/sec seq write. I would be very interested in seeing some real world testing done to see how much of a difference it makes in different types of tasks.

My expectations is that it would only make a marginal difference in booting or gaming when compared to the 970 EVO NVMe drive. However, I am sure that it would make a very marked difference when using it for rendering videos or running complex simulations of protein folding (I don't really know how much of a difference a fast storage drive would make when doing that, I only have heard a little. I think that based on the little I know about this topic that a fast CPU and GPU would make a larger difference).

I think it is possible that in the future having a fast NVMe drive will make more of a difference as software developers for mainstream software and games optimize their code to better utilize faster storage speeds (a similar thing happened a couple years ago as multi threaded CPUs become the norm, at the moment it would not be unusual to find modern games that utilize 4 or more cpu threads in running the game).

Below are some links to a couple articles I found on PCIe 4.0 storage drives.

Overview of PCIe technology: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3400176/pcie-40-everything-you-need-to-know-specs-compatibility.html

Amazon link for a Gigabyte 4.0 PCIe NVMe drive https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-PCI-Express-Interface-Performance-GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD/dp/B07TJWZGL9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=Gigabyte+AORUS+NVMe+Gen4+M.2+500gb&qid=1562877972&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

This is the benchmark for my 500GB 960 EVO m.2 SSD drive 

1066625860_500GB960EVOm.2July2019.png.421d7d5f5813b7fe0d13a1271463fec9.png

This is the benchmarks for the Gigabyte 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD I got from the PCWorld article I linked above

256757926_1TBGigabyteM.2PCIe4_0SSD.jpg.628a7e4ac700240b16737a8c986ee02d.jpg

3 hours ago, James_Nilknarf said:

I have been looking into the new 4.0 PCIe NVMe drives and was blown away at the insane speeds shown on the benchmarks I saw with 5GB/sec for seq read and 4.2 GB/sec for seq write. In comparison my 960 EVO NVMe drive has 3GB/sec seq read and 1.5GB/sec seq write. I would be very interested in seeing some real world testing done to see how much of a difference it makes in different types of tasks.

My expectations is that it would only make a marginal difference in booting or gaming when compared to the 970 EVO NVMe drive. However, I am sure that it would make a very marked difference when using it for rendering videos or running complex simulations of protein folding (I don't really know how much of a difference a fast storage drive would make when doing that, I only have heard a little. I think that based on the little I know about this topic that a fast CPU and GPU would make a larger difference).

I think it is possible that in the future having a fast NVMe drive will make more of a difference as software developers for mainstream software and games optimize their code to better utilize faster storage speeds (a similar thing happened a couple years ago as multi threaded CPUs become the norm, at the moment it would not be unusual to find modern games that utilize 4 or more cpu threads in running the game).

Below are some links to a couple articles I found on PCIe 4.0 storage drives.

Overview of PCIe technology: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3400176/pcie-40-everything-you-need-to-know-specs-compatibility.html

Amazon link for a Gigabyte 4.0 PCIe NVMe drive https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-PCI-Express-Interface-Performance-GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD/dp/B07TJWZGL9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=Gigabyte+AORUS+NVMe+Gen4+M.2+500gb&qid=1562877972&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

This is the benchmark for my 500GB 960 EVO m.2 SSD drive 

1066625860_500GB960EVOm.2July2019.png.421d7d5f5813b7fe0d13a1271463fec9.png

This is the benchmarks for the Gigabyte 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD I got from the PCWorld article I linked above

256757926_1TBGigabyteM.2PCIe4_0SSD.jpg.628a7e4ac700240b16737a8c986ee02d.jpg

nice speeds! heres mine,i think there pretty decent. sorry for double picture post not sure how that happened lolbench.png.650579741a4e0fdfe45f55515e8b931d.pngbench.png.650579741a4e0fdfe45f55515e8b931d.png

Edited by xreaperx22
double image

When you edit a post there should be box below your text that shows all the images associated with your post. If you click on the trash can on the bottom right of the second duplicate image then it should also remove itself from the post.

The scores for your HD are very nice, especially the random reads and writes for small files. :) I am actually pretty impressed how strongly your drive performs overall. Most drives I have seen perform really well in one area and then more poorly in most other areas.

13 hours ago, James_Nilknarf said:

When you edit a post there should be box below your text that shows all the images associated with your post. If you click on the trash can on the bottom right of the second duplicate image then it should also remove itself from the post.

The scores for your HD are very nice, especially the random reads and writes for small files. :) I am actually pretty impressed how strongly your drive performs overall. Most drives I have seen perform really well in one area and then more poorly in most other areas.

thanks,i tweaked the living crap out of everything i could lol,and thats a 950 pro,and for some reason they are more expensive than a 970 pro not sure why that is.