CERN to go Open Science... ahem source

LukeSavenije

Source: ZDnet, CERN, @AluminiumTech

Beginning a year ago, CERN launched the Microsoft Alternatives project (MAlt). The name says it all.  CERN wants to get away from Microsoft programs for a very prosaic reason: To save money.

Iban Eguia, a CERN software engineer, tweeted:

"At @CERN, we are moving away from @Microsoft products due to their license fee increases for our research laboratory. We will try to use open-source software as much as possible. :)"

Emmanuel Ormancey, a CERN system analyst, explained that commercial software licenses, with their per-user fee structure are unaffordable, for CERN. For decades, CERN could afford Microsoft programs because it paid "academic institution" rate. All good things must come to an end. Recently, Microsoft revoked CERN's academic status, and it replaced the old contract with user number-based one. This increased "the license costs by more than a factor of 10. Although CERN has negotiated a ramp-up profile over q0 years to give the necessary time to adapt, such costs are not sustainable."

So, CERN started the Microsoft Alternatives project (MAlt). It's initial goal is "investigate the migration from commercial software products (Microsoft and others) to open-source solutions, so as to minimise CERN's exposure to the risks of unsustainable commercial conditions."

On the cloud, CERN is a long-time supporter of the OpenStack Infrastructure-as-a-Server (IaaS) cloud. Before that, until recently, CERN, with its partner organization Fermilab, had its own Linux distribution: Scientific Linux. The groups recently stopped developing Scientific Linux, which was a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) clone. They did this since CentOS -- a general-purpose Linux based on RHEL sources -- made Scientific Linux redundant.

you know... I don't even see why they didn't in the first place, with the heavy changes you can make to Linux without a company in the way are endless. I approve

less micromoney so yay? I like this and there reasons are pretty good I mean the sole purpose of a not non-profit busines is to make money so.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I had TechDeals predict Windows 10 will be free within a few years. Though Im guessing that will consumers and not enterprise or server.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

16 minutes ago, Albal_156 said:

I had TechDeals predict Windows 10 will be free within a few years. Though Im guessing that will consumers and not enterprise or server.

linus did to in one of the wan shows!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

If they sell some of their alien technology surely they can come up with the money?

Companies, schools and countries are doing this all the time,  moving between Linux and Windows for their OS.    Sometimes it works for them and sometimes it doesn't.  There used to be an active list on the net of places making the switch and in which direction.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

There used to be an active list on the net of places making the switch and in which direction. 

And then they realized most people don't actually care about that, along with it being a near impossible thing to actually track to a useful extent, so why bother ?

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And then they realized most people don't actually care about that, along with it being a near impossible thing to actually track to a useful extent, so why bother ?

If I remember it was started by a Linux community in an effort to promote the usefulness of Linux over windows.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's a huge dick move from M$ but at least something good has come out of it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

19 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Microsoft revoked CERN's academic status

That seems like a dumb and short sited decision. 

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

4 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

That seems like a dumb and short sited decision. 

Michaelsoft has broken Michael fix your company. 

Assuming their IT department can handle the backend management of Linux (seems like a no brainer, since they already used RHEL based distros), and they can manage to train and support their staff using a Linux desktop (if they go that far), this could work.

But many people forget that in a corporate/enterprise environment, supporting software comes with it's own costs. And supporting end users using Linux can be quite expensive, if those users have next to no experience on Linux.

Being a scientific enterprise, CERN likely has far more users already familiar to some degree or another with Linux though, so for them, I imagine the switch might be easier.

Though this was honestly a stupid move on Microsoft's part. By revoking Academic status, they're likely going to lose CERN entirely as a customer.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If I don't remember wrong, the CERN already contributes to the Scientific Linux distribution...

16 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

If I don't remember wrong, the CERN already contributes to the Scientific Linux distribution...

The article goes over that - they stopped once CentOS became available, since they were working on similar features and the same parent distro (RHEL).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 7/5/2019 at 11:01 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

Need to save money for their black ops squads. Can't let those college students play with time travel so much.

Perhaps this means someone is back looking for an IBM 5100...

Why did my brain snap to NERV instead of CERN...

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 11:03 PM, dalekphalm said:

Assuming their IT department can handle the backend management of Linux (seems like a no brainer, since they already used RHEL based distros), and they can manage to train and support their staff using a Linux desktop (if they go that far), this could work.

The corporate offices will continue to to use Windows 10 for the time being, according to CERN, though they are hoping to change that in the future (They are heavily reliant on Microsoft Office).

It is only the research sections that will move away from Linux+Windows to all Linux.