do i need a separate PSU given that i will not be using a graphics card

zalkernine

i am planning to build a new PC this week. I've got all the parts covered. but i am stuck with weather to buy a separate PSU or not. The PC will be powered up by I5 8400 and a basic ssd, a HDD, 8 gb of ram and simple stuffs like this. But i wont add a graphics card. so can i skip the PSU for now considering it's a budget build 

Hm? You can't power on the computer without a power supply

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

uhmm.. but you need a PSU to power the system anyway.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

In the most simple way i can answer your question: You will need a psu of atleast 350 watt's.

To elaborate:

you're talking about buying a seperate psu. Now that gives us some questions.

Do you have a psu, that came with the case perhaps? in that case i would recommend getting a proper psu, as generally the quality of 'free' power supplies is not very good.

If you have a psu, from another sacreficial build, let's take a look at that and post us the stats. Seeing your build i'm geussing you won't need more than 350watt's, but its never a bad thing to give yourself some headroom and opt for a 450 or 550 if you have a chance (i would recommend starting with a 550, so that if you buy a graphics card in the near future, chances are you might not need to buy a seperate psu by then).

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

27 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

In the most simple way i can answer your question: You will need a psu of atleast 350 watt's.

for a lone i5 8400, even a sub-100w PSU is enough.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Hi. In case nobody answer your question - yes, you need PSU. :) I hope you'll get more answers. :)

3 hours ago, Slottr said:

hey i forgot to mention 
i was actually talking about using a PSU that comes with the case built in 
and my question is as i am not gonna use graphics card do i need to buy a separate branded psu ?

3 hours ago, Slottr said:

hey i forgot to mention 
and my question is as i am not gonna use graphics card do i need to buy a separate branded psu ?

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Hi. In case nobody answer your question - yes, you need PSU. :) I hope you'll get more answers. :)

hey i forgot to mention 

3 hours ago, Caennanu said:

To elaborate:

you're talking about buying a seperate psu. Now that gives us some questions.

Do you have a psu, that came with the case perhaps? in that case i would recommend getting a proper psu, as generally the quality of 'free' power supplies is not very good.

If you have a psu, from another sacreficial build, let's take a look at that and post us the stats. Seeing your build i'm geussing you won't need more than 350watt's, but its never a bad thing to give yourself some headroom and opt for a 450 or 550 if you have a chance (i would recommend starting with a 550, so that if you buy a graphics card in the near future, chances are you might not need to buy a seperate psu by then).

thanks for your reply and i am thankful that you got my point that forgot to mention

hey i forgot to mention 

4 minutes ago, zalkernine said:

ehm... which one?

3 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Lol those even exist?

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

44 minutes ago, zalkernine said:

thanks for your reply and i am thankful that you got my point that forgot to mention

hey i forgot to mention 

Most likely no, what is the PSU (wattage, efficiency, brand, etc)?

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

3 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

i beg to differ. mainboard, ssd, hdd, memory, they all take power.

Quick search on the interwebz for a psu calculator, i came across https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator.

When submitting the above mentioned specs, i come to 243 watt as a recommendation.

So yes, maybe 350 watt is a little high if you take this advice into consideration, but i'm sticking with my opinion you will want atleast a 350 watt.

adding an additional HDD or SDD, maybe an optical drive (do these still exist?) add usb hubs, and it will rack up fairly quick.

https://outervision.com/b/C4uHYf

image.png.ca7771e3fb237ace693d7ee7c8803358.png

When using another psu calculator, this time from bequiet. i come to 113 watt. This however offers less options.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator

Edited by Caennanu

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

1 minute ago, Caennanu said:

i beg to differ. mainboard, ssd, hdd, memory, they all take power.

Quick search on the interwebz for a psu calculator, i came across https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator.

When submitting the above mentioned specs, i come to 243 watt as a recommendation.

outervision is closer to a random number generator than an actual wattage calculator.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1502-intel-core-i5-8400/page4.html 143w under load from the wall, not anywhere close to the estimate.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

outervision is closer to a random number generator than an actual wattage calculator.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1502-intel-core-i5-8400/page4.html 143w under load from the wall, not anywhere close to the estimate.

noticed that too, editted the post with another calculator which indeed comes lower.

1 hour ago, zalkernine said:

hey i forgot to mention 

All cases I know that comes with PSU was crappy cheap cases with crappy PSU. So don't worry about wattage, be worried about quality of that PSU. Except it's some premium case made by Antec or BeQuiet etc.

So a long answer short.

If the power supply is rated at 150watt or higher, you can use it, however i do not recommend it.

Instead i recommend you to get a branded version. 

cheapest i could find locally, is gigabyte PW400. (have no personal experience with gigabyte tho)

Next up is cooler master elite V3, its a 500 watt psu tho. Fairly sure others will have additional idea's and suggestions.

35 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

So a long answer short.

If the power supply is rated at 150watt or higher, you can use it, however i do not recommend it.

Instead i recommend you to get a branded version. 

cheapest i could find locally, is gigabyte PW400. (have no personal experience with gigabyte tho)

Next up is cooler master elite V3, its a 500 watt psu tho. Fairly sure others will have additional idea's and suggestions.

Brand names mean nothing with power supplies.

5 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Brand names mean nothing with power supplies.

Or with any consumer item ever. How fast is an MSI graphics card? How fast is a Samsung drive? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

Or with any consumer item ever. How fast is an MSI graphics card? How fast is a Samsung drive? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dunno, but it it says samsung so it must be fast!

3 hours ago, zalkernine said:

hey i forgot to mention 

You'll be fine with the PSU that comes with the case.  It won't be the best, and may not last for more than 5 years, but it'll power your system.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

4 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

You'll be fine with the PSU that comes with the case.  It won't be the best, and may not last for more than 5 years, but it'll power your system.

Interesting conclusion, considering you don't know which case and PSU they're getting. 

:)