End of AMD Mining Monopoly Effective CUDA Mining Finally Here

TOMPPIX

Basically Protoshares works on the Momentum Proof of Work Algorithm. Bitcoin uses SHA 256 as the Proof of Work Algo, and Litecoin uses SCRYPT for Proof of Work. Interestingly, Momentum was designed to be an algo that is impossible to be utilized by FPGAs and ASICs just like SCRYPT. But Unlike Scrypt, the Momentum Proof of Work Algo was so complex it was actually impossible to utilize it via GPUS as well (Quite Deliberately) . Therefore, you could only use CPUs, AMD Or Intel, to mine Protoshares. That is to say until very recently, a coder was able to use a CUDA enabled GPU to mine using Momentum.

177_201401251218301Vanb.jpg

Momentum actually uses a visualization model for proof of work and it measures speed in Collisions Per Minute. Now since only CPUs can utilize the Momentum Algo, the fastest single mining device a Protoshares miner could havewas a Dual Xeon E5-2450 @ 2.1Ghz/24Gb  capable of giving 430 c/m. Consider this though, this beast of a config has 16 (Intel) Cores (32 Threads). Now with this in context, let me give you the next piece of information. Using a GTX 770 the coder was able to achieve 950 Collisions Per Minute. That’s two times the performance of the  most powerful mining device they had. And the GTX 770 isn’t even the fastest CUDA enabled GPU you can get!

wow that's incredible! they should test it with a 780 since it's evenly priced with the 290 and compare performance

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

umm WHAT THE HELL

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

umm WHAT THE HELL

Basically, it's a new algorithm for mining that is different from SHA256 and Scrypt that CUDA (AKA Nvidia) is actually good for. 

Epic. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Basically, it's a new algorithm for mining that is different from SHA256 and Scrypt that CUDA (AKA Nvidia) is actually good for. 

Epic. 

Let's hope that not a single coin with this algorithm will ever get popular. Nvidia cards are expensive enough!

who cares...

Title is about as sensationalist as it could possibly get. Basically all coins are scrypt so AMD still has a monopoly on the mining end of things.

Also they haven't shown performance with an AMD card since they only know how to get it working on Nvidia cards so far.

Yea this definitely isn't the end of bullshit prices on AMD cards, even though I'm praying for that to happen very soon lol.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Whoever managed to pull that off just got a nice paycheck.

From: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=9er4lfophtu617vfqp4mnf95o1&topic=325261.1120

There's a $5000 bounty for anyone who can prove it is vulnerable to GPUs or ASICs.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Epic. 

I know, its just my brain is trying understand why the performance is that awesome, that is truely surprising.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

wow that's incredible! they should test it with a 780 since it's evenly priced with the 290 and compare performance

I'm going to try it on my 780Ti, I'm hoping for big numbers. :)

EDIT: Getting an average of around 1500 collisions per minute.

Edited by Kilerbomb

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Thing is, this has to take off else mining it will be useless.

Also, there are scrypt miners coming this year (https://alpha-t.net/ are going to sell them).

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

Hooray, expensive cards for everyone!

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

This really doesn't change the current situation.
You can already mine scrypt based cryptocurrencies with Nvidia GPUs, in fact you can get about 700 hashes/s on a 780 Ti with CUDA miners.
The issue however is that you can get the same hash rate with a 280X or even a 7950 which cost half to a third as much as a 780 Ti.

The situation with protoshares is not dyssimilar, AMD cards are still more performance competent and more efficient at mining it than their Nvidia counterparts.

I switched over my cudaminer to a new experimental version - probably officialy release by now for scrypt...

went from 200khash to 530khash on my gtx780.  It's my personal gaming rig and power is free on this baby. 

My mining rigs have 4x7970 at a friends house with zero electricity cost.
It's still not phenomenal for a 250 watt card but it also reduces cpu usage from near 75% to under 20%.  Compared to before this is a no brainer.

As for the new algo - let them have their xeons.

In a world where the blind leads the blind, who do you follow?

i5 3570K @ 4.3, Dual GTX780, 3x 1080 27" samsung cheap displays.

512 Samsung SSD with 1TB green, 2TB green, and 2x3TB Red, 4x4TB Red.

This really doesn't change the current situation.

You can already mine scrypt based cryptocurrencies with Nvidia GPUs, in fact you can get about 700 hashes/s on a 780 Ti with CUDA miners.

The issue however is that you can get the same hash rate with a 280X or even a 7950 which cost half to a third as much as a 780 Ti.

The situation with protoshares is not dyssimilar, AMD cards are still more performance competent and more efficient at mining it than their Nvidia counterparts.

AKA, nvidia is still shit at mining when compared.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I wouldn't call it s***, if you already have a GTX 780 or a GTX 780 ti the mining performance isn't bad but it still doesn't make sense financially at all to buy an Nvidia card specifically for mining.

nVidia cards remain suboptimal for coin mining when compared to lower-tier AMD cards, especially when you include the need to break even on the initial cost of the card in the cost/profit analysis.

A bit more accurate than @carolkarine's statement :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I wouldn't call it s***, if you already have a GTX 780 or a GTX 780 ti the mining performance isn't bad but it still doesn't make sense financially at all to buy an Nvidia card specifically for mining.

In most cases it doesnt make sense to buy anything to specifically mine.

I dont think this will take off, too niche. We already have 42380 coins

And now nVidia prices will go through the fucking roof. Great.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

And now nVidia prices will go through the fucking roof. Great.

Indeed. yet another reason for nvidia to raise the prices.

Even if it would be effective, AMD cards' prices won't drop, only nvidia cards prices will jump higher.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.