I can't get to 5GHz....Stuck at 4.9 on my 9900K

Okay, I thought I could live with 4.9, but I want 5 and I am at a wall.  I can stress test and benchmark all day and night at 4.9 with a voltage of 1.25.  If I push it to 5, not matter what voltage I give it, it will bluescreen in Realbench (various codes), rack up thousands of errors in OCCT small, medium and small sets and Cinebench 20 will bluescreen.  Not that under all these tests, voltages are within set range and CPU and core temps never get above 93c (spike) and 83c (sustained).

I thought it might have been my ram (G Skill Ripjaws 2400 CL15) so I upgraded to G Skill Trident Z 3200 CL14.  It is setup and working on XMP, but it didn't help my overclocking issue.  I really am not sure where the problem lies.  I have the AVX with 0 offset, but it still has issues with up to an offset of 3.  I have followed all I could find about overclocking the 9900K and I have all the power settings and Intel XTU shows no thermal or current issues.

Does anyone know how to check the errors that OCCT are claiming?  I find no way to view them.

Anyway, I am not sure what info you might need to assist, so ask away.

Thanks

Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme, Intel i9 9900K (5.1GHz, no AVX offset, 4.9GHz cache and 1.295V), 16G G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14, EVGA GTX 760, Corsair H115i Pro, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512 GB (x2), Corsair RM1000i PSU, Windows 10 Pro (1903).

8 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Motherboard and PSU?

I went with the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme based on it's ability to overclock, so unless I got a lemon....  As for the PSU, I am well below its ability, but that doesn't mean it isn't up to the task.  Is there a sure way of testing the PSU, or is it replace and hope you didn't waste your money?  ?

Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme, Intel i9 9900K (5.1GHz, no AVX offset, 4.9GHz cache and 1.295V), 16G G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14, EVGA GTX 760, Corsair H115i Pro, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512 GB (x2), Corsair RM1000i PSU, Windows 10 Pro (1903).

4 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

But which model of PSU? It's not the same 400 than 500 than 800W, and the better a PSU is, the more stable overclock you'll get

His PSU is pretty bad AFAIK... OCZ ZT 750W. This is the OEM PSU for Toshiba prebuilt desktops according to google.

I blame weak PSU. Not all PSU's of a certain wattage are created equal.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

To add:

Your RAM was fine, but XMP is pretty bad. You will get more out of your RAM by overclocking it manually.

XTU can only tell you if the VRM's are throttling AFAIK. I'm not sure how it would know if you're bottlenecking your VRM's with a weak 12v and 5v line on your PSU.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

32 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

But which model of PSU? It's not the same 400 than 500 than 800W, and the better a PSU is, the more stable overclock you'll get

It's an OCZ ZT 750.  It is their retail version and is a subsidiary of Toshiba.  Although, I don't think they are actively building and designing anymore.  Seems they are selling all the same models from years ago trying to clear their stock.

25 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

To add:

Your RAM was fine, but XMP is pretty bad. You will get more out of your RAM by overclocking it manually.

XTU can only tell you if the VRM's are throttling AFAIK. I'm not sure how it would know if you're bottlenecking your VRM's with a weak 12v and 5v line on your PSU.

Overclocking RAM and cache are on my list only after getting the CPU up there and stabilized.  

I have been eyeing the Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Gold, so it might be time to pull the trigger.

If you really want to hit 5GHz you can always go on Ebay and buy an i5-2500K.  ?

Joking aside, the PSU may indeed be unable to deliver clean enough power to keep the CPU stable at those speeds. 

The Focus Plus 850 gold is a good PSU indeed.  If that doesn't solve it, you simply may not have won the silicon lottery.

EDIT: Im dumb, ignore me.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, tincanalley said:

It's an OCZ ZT 750.  It is their retail version and is a subsidiary of Toshiba.  Although, I don't think they are actively building and designing anymore.  Seems they are selling all the same models from years ago trying to clear their stock.

That PSU is a "Great Wall" PSU and was mediocre quality in *2011*.  OCZ used to make decent products and PC Power and Cooling used to be a Seasonic OEM, but when OCZ bought PCP&C, all of their products went downhill in quality *FAST*.  Even their RAM went downhill and their QA started slipping.  They were even making SSDs of questionable quality.  Needless to say that company went bankrupt not long after and good riddance.

God only knows how much power that Great Wall PSU can deliver to the 12v CPU rail (plugging in both 8 pin power connectors helps minimize resistance and voltage drop on the 12v rail also).  Also you didn't tell any of us what Loadline Calibration level you tried to use.  Try level 6 on the Asus.

17 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

That PSU is a "Great Wall" PSU and was mediocre quality in *2011*.  OCZ used to make decent products and PC Power and Cooling used to be a Seasonic OEM, but when OCZ bought PCP&C, all of their products went downhill in quality *FAST*.  Even their RAM went downhill and their QA started slipping.  They were even making SSDs of questionable quality.  Needless to say that company went bankrupt not long after and good riddance.

God only knows how much power that Great Wall PSU can deliver to the 12v CPU rail (plugging in both 8 pin power connectors helps minimize resistance and voltage drop on the 12v rail also).  Also you didn't tell any of us what Loadline Calibration level you tried to use.  Try level 6 on the Asus.

I have both 8 pin CPU power connectors in play and the LLC is 6 and have tried 7 as well.  I think I'm going to pick up a Corsair RM1000i tomorrow.  If I go the Seasonic route, it won't be here til Mon or Tue.  The RMi series seems good enough for my setup.  I will be getting and RTX2080 or 2080i soon.  I'm waiting for the introduction of the RTX "super" line to push the pricing down on the current models.  So I know 1000 is a bit overkill for my needs, but it is in stock locally, where the 850 isn't.

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Joking aside, the PSU may indeed be unable to deliver clean enough power to keep the CPU stable at those speeds. 

The Focus Plus 850 gold is a good PSU indeed.  If that doesn't solve it, you simply may not have won the silicon lottery.

Still, quite overpriced for what it offers... especially when considering for the same price there is far superior choices like the RMx and whisper m, straight power 11 in some EU country

27 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you've summoned me for no reason?1948584401_tenor(10).gif.78fa7cc25595353c2f86f9e1d98689cd.gif

Reveal hidden contents

/jk

I wrote up a really wrong post of incorrect comparisons between the HXi and RXi PSU's, because I got them mixed up ?‍♂️

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Okay, will be installing a Corsair RM1000i tomorrow and will push for 5GHz, again.  I do hope it is the PSU.

Okay, wasted money on a new PSU.  Wasn't the issue.  At least I have a PSU that communicates along with my AIO via Corsair Link.

Anyway, I've tried everything I can think of and I've narrowed it down to an issue I cannot solve and one I can.  The first issue is AVX offset.  Seems I can do most testing at 4.9 with AVX, but not 5.0 as heat becomes the issue (this is one I can solve if I delid and direct die cool).  If I set the AVX offset to anything other than 0, apps like Cinebench R15 lock up immediately upon start of test, Realbench makes it about 30 to 60 seconds before BSOD, Prime95 26.6 does okay on all but small, etc.  If I set the offset to zero while at 5GHz, Cinebench completes, Realbench overheats the CPU and so does AIDA64.

I have reset CMOS a number of times and tried a number of different settings, all with the same results if I mess with AVX.  I even let the bios do the overclocking based on auto settings and AI and nothing was perfectly stable and voltages were out of control and heat just kept throttling and or caused testing program to abort.

So I think it might be time to contact ASUS to see if this is an issue with their BIOS, which is the latest version.

As it stands now, I am at 4.9 with no AVX offset and a voltage of 1.26.  Heat isn't an issue in all but the most demanding of tests, so I'm comfortable it will be stable and cool for daily use.  5 would be nice, but it's not a must.  I mean I went from a 5820K at 4.6 to this and the difference is night an day.  Life is good.

I attached a screenshot of my Cinebench R20 results.  Not too shabby, but too bad I had to drop back to 4.9 after the test.

Cinebench20.JPG

50 minutes ago, tincanalley said:

Okay, wasted money on a new PSU.  Wasn't the issue.  At least I have a PSU that communicates along with my AIO via Corsair Link.

Anyway, I've tried everything I can think of and I've narrowed it down to an issue I cannot solve and one I can.  The first issue is AVX offset.  Seems I can do most testing at 4.9 with AVX, but not 5.0 as heat becomes the issue (this is one I can solve if I delid and direct die cool).  If I set the AVX offset to anything other than 0, apps like Cinebench R15 lock up immediately upon start of test, Realbench makes it about 30 to 60 seconds before BSOD, Prime95 26.6 does okay on all but small, etc.  If I set the offset to zero while at 5GHz, Cinebench completes, Realbench overheats the CPU and so does AIDA64.

I have reset CMOS a number of times and tried a number of different settings, all with the same results if I mess with AVX.  I even let the bios do the overclocking based on auto settings and AI and nothing was perfectly stable and voltages were out of control and heat just kept throttling and or caused testing program to abort.

So I think it might be time to contact ASUS to see if this is an issue with their BIOS, which is the latest version.

As it stands now, I am at 4.9 with no AVX offset and a voltage of 1.26.  Heat isn't an issue in all but the most demanding of tests, so I'm comfortable it will be stable and cool for daily use.  5 would be nice, but it's not a must.  I mean I went from a 5820K at 4.6 to this and the difference is night an day.  Life is good.

I attached a screenshot of my Cinebench R20 results.  Not too shabby, but too bad I had to drop back to 4.9 after the test.

Cinebench20.JPG

I saw your title, and instantly thought: "You lost the silicon lottery".  That's probably what it is, so maybe return the chip and get another, if you can?

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

3 hours ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

I saw your title, and instantly thought: "You lost the silicon lottery".  That's probably what it is, so maybe return the chip and get another, if you can?

Okay, I hope this works.  I got it from Amazon and they are letting me return it for an exchange of a new unit.  It should be here Wednesday.  Of course the replacement is not guaranteed to be a silicone lottery winner, but it is worth a try.

1.3v 4.9 is top 5-7% (prolly less now since intel is saving the top chips), lower ur expectations.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake-r/products/9900k51g?variant=15392436093014

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Silicon lottery, I can write a book about it.

My 8700k was kind of similar before delidding. 4.9GHz any day with 1.35 Volts, but 5 just was not possible no matter what I did.

the CPU is now delidded and only 100% stable at 5GHz with 1.36+ Volts, 5.1Ghz with an instane 1.425 Volts and I really dont think its a good idea trying for 5.2, lol.

In the end I only got a 100MHz improvement, kind of hoped for more. But at least its now cooler with 5GHz than previously with 4.9 :D

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

9 hours ago, tincanalley said:

Okay, I hope this works.  I got it from Amazon and they are letting me return it for an exchange of a new unit.  It should be here Wednesday.  Of course the replacement is not guaranteed to be a silicone lottery winner, but it is worth a try.

The PSU was still a good purchase.  I wish I had known you were using an AVX offset however.  Crashing in non AVX apps with an offset is NOT an Asus bios bug but a known issue that happens regardless of ODM.  In order NOT to crash, you have to basically be fully AVX stable (like prime95 29.8 build 3 small FFT stable).

This is a guardband tolerance issue.  Sometimes reducing cache ratio can help.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106375-MCE-explanations-and-others&highlight=explanations

delete

21 hours ago, xg32 said:

1.3v 4.9 is top 5-7% (prolly less now since intel is saving the top chips), lower ur expectations.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake-r/products/9900k51g?variant=15392436093014

Yeah, I'll gladly stay at 4.9 and put the money into an upgraded GPU or AIO.  ? 

12 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

The PSU was still a good purchase.  I wish I had known you were using an AVX offset however.  Crashing in non AVX apps with an offset is NOT an Asus bios bug but a known issue that happens regardless of ODM.  In order NOT to crash, you have to basically be fully AVX stable (like prime95 29.8 build 3 small FFT stable).

This is a guardband tolerance issue.  Sometimes reducing cache ratio can help.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106375-MCE-explanations-and-others&highlight=explanations

Didn't really notice I had the offset.  I had it set to 0, but in some adjustment I made along the line, it was still at 0, but in AUTO mode, so it was adjusting it as it saw fit.  When I set it to 0 again, it ran without offset.  Still, seems the best I can get with full AVX is 4.9 all around.  5 is doable in all but the harshest of tests and any real AVX load pushes it to thermal throttling.

17 hours ago, Noah0302 said:

Silicon lottery, I can write a book about it.

My 8700k was kind of similar before delidding. 4.9GHz any day with 1.35 Volts, but 5 just was not possible no matter what I did.

the CPU is now delidded and only 100% stable at 5GHz with 1.36+ Volts, 5.1Ghz with an instane 1.425 Volts and I really dont think its a good idea trying for 5.2, lol.

In the end I only got a 100MHz improvement, kind of hoped for more. But at least its now cooler with 5GHz than previously with 4.9 :D

If I use the system for minor tasks, I can run it at 5.1 with just over 1.32 volts.  However, any attempt at running a real stress test and it either throttles from heat and blue screens (with the occasional hard lockup).

If the new CPU doesn't do any better, I will stick with 4.9 for a little while and then order the delider and direct die mount and have at it.  It seems pretty straight forward, but I'd like to get a few months out of the CPU before I run the risk of damaging it.

12 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

its not that bad of a PSU. but not anywhere near the best ether.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ocz-zt-750w/

I can't complain.  I didn't realize how long I actually had the PSU.  I got it 7 years ago when I put together a 2600K system and reused it when I upgraded to a 5820K and then with this 9900K.  So I'm assuming it would have continued for years to come and now it is sitting in a box as my emergency spare.