From Garbage can to glorified cheese grater and all for a mere $50K

PJCarroll
1 minute ago, jdubya421 said:

I said 2U server. The form factor is what matters. 

YES A TOWER SERVER IS NOT 2U! it looks like a computer tower not a server.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

A little late to reply to this, but I do not see how Apple can justify the cost of a basic entry level Xeon workstation chip. 

Dell / HP have systems cheaper with the Xeon Silver and Gold platform. 

Tye gold platform form allows dual CPU confit and additional PCIe lanes. 

I have both HP and Dell systems at work. There is no way Apple can compete with the service levels of HP/Dell in terms of a 4 hour replacement part service on there top tier service packages. 

Until Apple start to offer Nvidia solutions then Apple is a non starter for many people.

a photo of my Dell precision 7920 attached 

7D13D0D8-A8D1-40DE-A2AE-5D60FCA2322F.jpeg

CA907140-7117-47E4-A1EC-24788C700B11.jpeg

17 hours ago, stevieb said:

A little late to reply to this, but I do not see how Apple can justify the cost of a basic entry level Xeon workstation chip. 

I have both HP and Dell systems at work. There is no way Apple can compete with the service levels of HP/Dell in terms of a 4 hour replacement part service on there top tier service packages. 

Until Apple start to offer Nvidia solutions then Apple is a non starter for many people.

7D13D0D8-A8D1-40DE-A2AE-5D60FCA2322F.jpeg

CA907140-7117-47E4-A1EC-24788C700B11.jpeg

gimme!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I work for Fujtisu. We have many servers with similar spec as the Apple which also cost a premium price. There is more to it than the simple specs. Enterprise customers want reliability and the support on the rare occasions things do go wrong. We have in many cases a 2hr turn around should a server fail. However, it is very rare for one to fail as all components are made and tested to a very high standard. On top of that, a lot of redundancy is built in, as well as remote diagnostics and error reporting systems. Enterprise customers see the hardware cost as very minimal compared to the costs of downtime. In many cases the downtime can cost hundreds of thousands, of even millions in some contracts. When that happens the hardware vendor is firmly in the firing line for an explanation. So for all those comments suggesting a product is over priced, think about the reasons behind the premium price tag. We have systems stuffed in racks running 24/7 for years, often in conditions that are far from perfect, that never so much as cough let alone have a hissy fit. 

28 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

I work for Fujtisu. We have many servers with similar spec as the Apple which also cost a premium price. There is more to it than the simple specs. Enterprise customers want reliability and the support on the rare occasions things do go wrong. We have in many cases a 2hr turn around should a server fail. However, it is very rare for one to fail as all components are made and tested to a very high standard. On top of that, a lot of redundancy is built in, as well as remote diagnostics and error reporting systems. Enterprise customers see the hardware cost as very minimal compared to the costs of downtime. In many cases the downtime can cost hundreds of thousands, of even millions in some contracts. When that happens the hardware vendor is firmly in the firing line for an explanation. So for all those comments suggesting a product is over priced, think about the reasons behind the premium price tag. We have systems stuffed in racks running 24/7 for years, often in conditions that are far from perfect, that never so much as cough let alone have a hissy fit. 

Though there is a key difference. While the new Mac Pro does cost a lot, it is obviously not targeted at enterprise customers that have dedicated servers. The Mac Pro may be for professionals, but it's not for that kind of end game market. It is still 1 system and not a full fledged server, per se.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

First of all why does the base model even exist lmao, iMac Pro's going to kill it

For 6k you can get a Titan RTX and a Threadripper

I can definently see this being viable somewhere around 10k or more but the base model is just terrible.

also PSA: The CPU in the base Mac Pro is a Xeon W, not a Xeon Gold. Some users on other sites seem to be confused

33 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Though there is a key difference. While the new Mac Pro does cost a lot, it is obviously not targeted at enterprise customers that have dedicated servers. The Mac Pro may be for professionals, but it's not for that kind of end game market. It is still 1 system and not a full fledged server, per se.

I do agree to an extent. My thoughts are that maybe Apple have used the best possible components quality wise throughout, I would certainly hope so at the cost. 

1 hour ago, realpetertdm said:

First of all why does the base model even exist lmao, iMac Pro's going to kill it

I can definently see this being viable somewhere around 10k or more but the base model is just terrible.

also PSA: The CPU in the base Mac Pro is a Xeon W, not a Xeon Gold. Some users on other sites seem to be confused

Yes it is a Xeon-W but at the price Apple are charging it should offer Xeon Gold as there are more pros for this and then it may be able to justify the price tag

2 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

What would Seto Kaiba buy?

The company. Kaiba wpuld buy the company.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:33 PM, Drak3 said:

I'm just waiting for it to be released to reserve judgement. Personally hoped that there would have been an offering closer to the $3K mark, but oh well.

Apple has that. if you want a powerful machine at $3K you can get an iMac.

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Apple has that. if you want a powerful machine at $3K you can get an iMac.

I want an actual desktop, not a flimst AiO.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I want an actual desktop, not a flimst AiO.

perhaps they can't offer that at $3K. remember the iMac (except for the iMac Pro but that starts at $5K) uses consumer grade cpu's and ram.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

perhaps they can't offer that at $3K. remember the iMac (except for the iMac Pro but that starts at $5K) uses consumer grade cpu's and ram.

They can, very easily. Use consumer grade parts and simply call it 'Mac.'

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

They can, very easily. Use consumer grade parts and simply call it 'Mac.'

... ever heard of the Mac Mini? it has decent specs and a bunch of thunderbolt 3 ports, so you can use enclosures to expand it.

it's not perfect of course, but i don't think Apple believes that there is a market for an upgradable system using consumer-grade hardware considering Apple doesn't like nvidia gpu's and macOS is a terrible OS for gaming anyway.

She/Her

On 6/6/2019 at 12:17 PM, stevieb said:

I tried using both HP and Dell to make something comparable using the specs that Apple provided for their. Both came close or failed miserably to reach the $6000 price point. Like for example, taking the base model 7920 starting at $2049. Adding an 8-core Xeon Gold that turbo boosts to at least 4.0 GHz like the Xeon-W in the Mac Pro, the Xeon Gold 6144, pushed the price to $4,843 and that's before adding a better graphics card (it starts with a single Radeon Pro WX2100) and more RAM (16GB).

11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

ever heard of the Mac Mini

I have one.

12 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

bunch of thunderbolt 3 ports, so you can use enclosures to expand it.

Have a Sonnet box with a 470 in it. Used to be a 580, but TB3 is such a bottleneck that it literally cuts performance in half.

13 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

macOS is a terrible OS for gaming anyway

False. I game on OSX. The ONLY issue I've found is lack of game selection, but seeing as Proton is a thing and OsSX can install Linux packages with relative ease, that's not all that big an issue.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 6/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, Sauron said:

Realistically pretty much nobody is going to buy the maxed out configuration, they just offer it because they have nothing to lose by doing so. The 1.5TB ram support is more geared towards future upgrades than being maxed out right now and so are other features - and also simply because the CPU supports it, so why shouldn't the motherboard?

Motherboard supports 2TB RAM, Apple ships with 1.5TB

Source: Apples website for the Mac Pro

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

On 6/5/2019 at 8:31 PM, Sauron said:

It's Apple. Of course there's going to be a markup.

It's an apple workstation. Of course there's going to be a markup. 55 or die, after all.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Apple sukcs!!1!!

People can shit on the Mac Pro all they want, but Apple has released the first modular Apple Device since the Mac Pro 6,1 and X-Serve kicked the bucket.

I don't care how much it is, I don't care about value, I dont care about a $999 dollar monitor stand.

Somebody on the design team at apple knows how to make a durable, upgradable, modular product again. That alone is a godsend, because it leads down a rabbit hole.

The Mac Pro made the "Pro" product stack make sense for once. This means a Mac Mini Pro with a socketed CPU, this means bringing back a 13" MacBook and giving the 13" Macbook Pro a dedicated GPU (with the 15" getting real GPU horsepower). This means Apple is looking back to the past and looking at what they did right while Steve Jobs was alive.

Honestly, it's beautiful. I hope Apple keeps going this direction and doesn't look to shitty reddit memes about "mUh ThOuSaNd DoLlAr StAnD" to gauge how well being a genuine company flys by consumers.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

21 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Motherboard supports 2TB RAM, Apple ships with 1.5TB

Source: Apples website for the Mac Pro

There may not be sufficiently high capacity DIMMs to max it out yet, at least none that Apple is willing to sell.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

There may not be sufficiently high capacity DIMMs to max it out yet, at least none that Apple is willing to sell.

Thats what I would believe, yes. But it's nice to know Apple is doing as much looking into the future as they are the past. (See my post above)

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

So that's why they offer a rackmount option and built the chassis to 4u spec, as well as built it with server grade components and cooling solutions? Because it isn't a server? ?

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

It feels like i've been replying to the same posts all day on Reddit, Discord, and here...

9 hours ago, realpetertdm said:

Im not even going to bother with this, because it's tiring. Threadripper is not Xeon. Xeon has genuine advantages over Threadripper, and macOS has literally 0 support for AMD systems natively. HackintoshOSX only exists because people spent what is probably equal to years of their lives making macOS believe it's running on AMD silicon only for a substandard experience with missing functionality. Also, you failed to mention the amount of RAM you spec'd this comparison system with, or storage. 

You worded this poorly, but I am assuming you meant product varients costing around 10k? Presumedly a low end 8 channel RAM config with a single Vega II and more RAM? If so, I agree. The base model is dumb, and everybody agrees.

The CPU in the base Mac Pro is a Xeon W, not a Xeon Gold. Some users on other sites seem to be confused

You, nor I, nor anybody (possibly including Apple) know this for sure. Most of the chips they market on their product page don't officially exist yet. Will they be Xeon W? I suspect the low end configs will be, and the high end will be Xeon Scalable. This would explain the strangeness about RAM configs. But the important part is until somebody goes out and buys one, then disassembles it and finds out, nobody knows. 

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler