From Garbage can to glorified cheese grater and all for a mere $50K

PJCarroll
1 hour ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

It feels like i've been replying to the same posts all day on Reddit, Discord, and here...

Im not even going to bother with this, because it's tiring. Threadripper is not Xeon. Xeon has genuine advantages over Threadripper, and macOS has literally 0 support for AMD systems natively. HackintoshOSX only exists because people spent what is probably equal to years of their lives making macOS believe it's running on AMD silicon only for a substandard experience with missing functionality. Also, you failed to mention the amount of RAM you spec'd this comparison system with, or storage. 

You worded this poorly, but I am assuming you meant product varients costing around 10k? Presumedly a low end 8 channel RAM config with a single Vega II and more RAM? If so, I agree. The base model is dumb, and everybody agrees.

You, nor I, nor anybody (possibly including Apple) know this for sure. Most of the chips they market on their product page don't officially exist yet. Will they be Xeon W? I suspect the low end configs will be, and the high end will be Xeon Scalable. This would explain the strangeness about RAM configs. But the important part is until somebody goes out and buys one, then disassembles it and finds out, nobody knows. 

It says so on the product page...

54 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Thats what I would believe, yes. But it's nice to know Apple is doing as much looking into the future as they are the past. (See my post above)

I think you're jumping to conclusions, the Mac Pro is the glaring exception in their lineup when it comes to actually being targeted at pros - and that's probably because nobody else would be willing to shell out that much for a desktop, as they found out with the 2013 trashcan. If they're going to sell these they had better be serious machines. Time will tell but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple never released a socketed machine again outside of the Mac Pro line.

Also Steve Jobs did things exactly as Apple is doing them now, let's stop romanticizing him. He knew how to sell things and he was good on a stage, that's it. Tim Cook is arguably outperforming him considering Apple has never been so successful.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

The CPU in the base model is a Xeon W.

That doesn't mean that it's automatically a currently released Xeon W. We won't know that until chips are released.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

That doesn't mean that it's automatically a currently released Xeon W. We won't know that until chips are released.

I don't think Intel's going to announce a new lineup 1 or 2 quarters after Cascade Lake was released. It's possible but not likely.

Right now it seems that the Xeon W-3223 is the one in the base model, though someone will have to take the Pro apart to actually find out.

Just now, realpetertdm said:

don't think Intel's going to announce a new lineup 1 or 2 quarters after Cascade Lake was released. It's possible but not likely.

Intel has created custom chips multiple times for Apple.

The i3/5/7 8xxxB

Desktop Broadwell

Early Intel Iris chips

Xeon W 2xxxB

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Intel has created custom chips multiple times for Apple.

The i3/5/7 8xxxB

Desktop Broadwell

Early Intel Iris chips

Xeon W 2xxxB

That's also quite likely. Considering that the CPU is mentioned as a "3.5GHz Xeon W" it's quite possible that Intel made Apple a custom one.

Will they do it for a computer that's targeted at a niche audience?

Just now, realpetertdm said:

Will they do it for a computer that's targeted at a niche audience?

Yes. They did with the iMac Pro.

The previous Mac Pro ran custom MXM Firepro cards.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Yes. They did with the iMac Pro.

The previous Mac Pro ran custom MXM Firepro cards.

Oh, didn't know that.

So we still don't even know if the CPU is a custom built one or a commercially available one. (Thanks, Apple)

If you think it’s expensive, you aren’t the intended audience.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

35 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

Oh, didn't know that.

So we still don't even know if the CPU is a custom built one or a commercially available one. (Thanks, Apple)

The CPU is part of the new Xeon line released a few days ago, apple has early access chips

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

5 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

So that's why they offer a rackmount option and built the chassis to 4u spec, as well as built it with server grade components and cooling solutions? Because it isn't a server? ?

Do they? First time hearing about that. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

9 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Do they? First time hearing about that. 

Unfortunately I can no longer find the source, but it is a planned option.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

18 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Unfortunately I can no longer find the source, but it is a planned option.

It was said during the presentation.

And the big answer to why is Apple offering what options they are is because they're market research says to.  That's Cook's specialty as an executive.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎