3700x vs 3900x: what to expect on the electricity bills and temps department?

Im excited to retire my 12 year old q6600 computer however im not sure if i should go with 3700x or 3900x. Will there be a big difference in consumption? I dont want surprise big electricity bills.

Im going to be doing video editing and making music mostly, I also plan to buy a next gen VR headset sometime next year or so so I was considering maybe the extra power of 3900x is a good long term investment also considering how much I stretch my updates, I have been coping with the same computer for 10 years so maybe 3900x is a good long term bet with the extra cores? However like I said I don't really understand how power consumption works and I don't want surprises if I push the procesor when rendering or gaming or whatnot.

I also love quiet computers for music making and im worried maybe 3900x gets too hot and requires higher fan speeds than 3700x... and I don't want liquid cooling I was considering of the big noctua fans which I heard are really quiet and with my fraktal r4 case it should be more quiet than my old ass asus big orange fan for the q6600 which I have to manually decrease speed with speedfan at half otherwise the noise is insane.

most modern hardware is far more power efficent than previous generations so you should be good, all though I feel i have to say I cant ever tell any discernable difference in my engery bills when upgrading... i tend to find my bills are a little higher when my brother and nephew stay over using xbox one and charging multiple extra android devices! so your experiences may differ.

Not a big enough change to notice a difference in the electricity bills (unless you are super conservative with every other electric appliance).

We have no idea about thermals, but if you get a really good heatsink such as the Dark Rock Pro 4, I am betting my PC that it's going to stay silent.

Spoiler

inb4 I lose my PC /s

Spoiler

It was a joke. I am not giving up my machine.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

The 3700x is listed as a 65 watt CPU, which means AMD will likely ship it with the wraith stealth. Since it's nice and low power, getting a bigger cooler will run pretty quietly, and it's already such a huge leap over the C2Q so extra cores for the 3900x may not necessarily be worth it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The 3700x is listed as a 65 watt CPU, which means AMD will likely ship it with the wraith stealth. Since it's nice and low power, getting a bigger cooler will run pretty quietly, and it's already such a huge leap over the C2Q so extra cores for the 3900x may not necessarily be worth it.

Im just trying to understand if anything about 3700x is nonsense or not

Things im interested in:

-fast rendering times in vegas and 3d animation programs

-many VST plugins at once on cubase and flstudio and whatnot to compose without limitations in creativity, with no lag etc

-smooth VR experience

I dont know, maybe anything above 3700x is dumb and not worth the money, extra temp and power... we'll see next month with the benchmarks i guess

35 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

Im just trying to understand if anything about 3700x is nonsense or not

Things im interested in:

-fast rendering times in vegas and 3d animation programs

-many VST plugins at once on cubase and flstudio and whatnot to compose without limitations in creativity, with no lag etc

-smooth VR experience

I dont know, maybe anything above 3700x is dumb and not worth the money, extra temp and power... we'll see next month with the benchmarks i guess

Well, for animation renderings, a lot of work falls on gpu. I guess you will not see more than eg 5% less time between 22700 and 3700. 

First builds will come out soon, so you will get an idea of their power.

1 hour ago, Windows95 said:

Im excited to retire my 12 year old q6600 computer however im not sure if i should go with 3700x or 3900x. Will there be a big difference in consumption? I dont want surprise big electricity bills.

Ähm....

You have an old, inefficient Q6600 and wonder about electricyty bills? RLY?

The old C2D parts are pretty awful when it comes to idle and such. And that's not with the Dual Dous...

So the old 65nm Parts I'd expect to idle around 100W, with an age appropriate GPU up to 150W...

And that's not taking the old, 60-75% PSU into account.

So yeah, your new system might not actually consume more, on the contrary, it might consume half as much under low load conditions...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

So you guys would buy 3700x or 3900x all things considered

also im not going to be doing any OC

when does first benchmarks released usually? right after the day of launch ?

6 hours ago, Windows95 said:

Im going to be doing video editing and making music mostly, I also plan to buy a next gen VR headset sometime next year or so so I was considering maybe the extra power of 3900x is a good long term investment also considering how much I stretch my updates, I have been coping with the same computer for 10 years so maybe 3900x is a good long term bet with the extra cores? However like I said I don't really understand how power consumption works and I don't want surprises if I push the procesor when rendering or gaming or whatnot.

I also love quiet computers for music making and im worried maybe 3900x gets too hot and requires higher fan speeds than 3700x... and I don't want liquid cooling I was considering of the big noctua fans which I heard are really quiet and with my fraktal r4 case it should be more quiet than my old ass asus big orange fan for the q6600 which I have to manually decrease speed with speedfan at half otherwise the noise is insane.

The q6600 said it was 105 watts, but if you overclocked it at all it was probably a good but higher than that. Either way you might spend an extra 60-100 a year worth case if you are pushing a 3700x or 3900x hard and running it at 100% al the time.

i would say take especially care with temperatures if you are living in a fairly hot place 20 degrees and up, or maybe use a room that's hard, because of location or mosquitos maybe rhinoceross... to cool

65W tdp seems to mean 65 w powerdraw and 130w of heat generation

I'm probably going for this baby pretty soon ( for a ryzen 2600! @65W TDP )

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15

my current cooler was bought with a 2011 cpu ( @95W tDP ) in mind and worked perfectly ( all system cooler ) with 160W of TDP

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1074

It worked perfect in the smallest case of midi tower but for my current system i have a feeling that 2 fans cooling a roster aimed at the exhaust of the cause will do more then this general type of cooler. ( i might consider the be quiet version of the 2 fans aimed at the exhaust too ) 

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

The q6600 said it was 105 watts, but if you overclocked it at all it was probably a good but higher than that. Either way you might spend an extra 60-100 a year worth case if you are pushing a 3700x or 3900x hard and running it at 100% al the time.

i will never did oc and i never did OC

probably thats why it lasted 10 years

1 hour ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

my current cooler was bought with a 2011 cpu ( @95W tDP ) in mind and worked perfectly ( all system cooler ) with 160W of TDP

It worked perfect in the smallest case of midi tower but for my current system i have a feeling that 2 fans cooling a roster aimed at the exhaust of the cause will do more then this general type of cooler. ( i might consider the be quiet version of the 2 fans aimed at the exhaust too ) 

i wanted to buy that one too, they released this:

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15-se-am4

is this one ofr the new zen 2?

and how does it work? i mean to detect temp. right now i just manually change it with speedfan because i never figured out a way to do it automatically and properly

5 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

In that case the processors you are considering are also 105 watt chips.

My guess is they would be much more efficient than your old q6600 so it will keep your bill pretty much constant.

8 hours ago, Windows95 said:

i wanted to buy that one too, they released this:

is this one ofr the new zen 2?

and how does it work? i mean to detect temp. right now i just manually change it with speedfan because i never figured out a way to do it automatically and properly

It should work with the am4 socket

Temperature detection is automatic

I have a X-470 motherboard from gigabyte aorus which has this nifty program supplied that both calibrates all the case fans and cpu fan in your system and adjusts 4 settings, quiet, normal, performance and full power ( of which most of the time i use normal ) and gives the option to make use of custom fan profiles for the true experienced user.

So i guess with zen 2 and the new x-570 motherboards your bound to receive some kind of program from your motherboard supplier that lets you control your system with a few clicks

15 hours ago, Windows95 said:

So you guys would buy 3700x or 3900x all things considered

Yeah, totally.

Though I might replace my 1700X with a 3700X or maybe even 3800X as well.

11 hours ago, Windows95 said:

also im not going to be doing any OC

when does first benchmarks released usually? right after the day of launch ?

Usually day of launch or a day before. But 7.7 is most likely.

10 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

65W tdp seems to mean 65 w powerdraw and 130w of heat generation

öhm, no? :|

It means 65W TDP and means 65W should be dissipated with the Heatsink/Fan Combination.

Also 65W Powerdraw means 65W heat generated in this case as there is no other form of energy...

Your claim outright violates the laws of energy preservation...

10 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Its a bit overkill and hardly needed for a non overclocked System...

I'd rather look at either NH-C14, if the price is right, wich it probably isn't or the NH-U12.

9 hours ago, Windows95 said:

then you can save a buck or two on the Heatsink and go with a medium sized Single Tower.

Dual Tower are more for OC and hot enviroments.

30 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

öhm, no? :|

It means 65W TDP and means 65W should be dissipated with the Heatsink/Fan Combination.

Also 65W Powerdraw means 65W heat generated in this case as there is no other form of energy...

Your claim outright violates the laws of energy preservation...

yea i know.. strangest part is... i came to this conclusion after comparing my 2011 xeon with a tdp of 95W and the new ryzen 5 2600 at a tdp of 60 or 65W. The ryzen 5 is noticeably hotter. With the xeon i never reached temperatures that i'm experiencing right now. I figured it had something to do with the data output and the higher clockspeeds of the ryzen 5 2600.. in all fairness i have to add that the new case i'm using might be the factor to blame.. of that i'm not sure but where i was using a small midi case for the xeon with only an inlet outlet and a cpu fan i'm now using 3 inlets, 3 outlets and the same cpu cooler

And with your overpowered claim.... i perceive in the same was as buying equipment that is ment to work at 50% of its capacity ( less stress, more stability, longer lifetimes etc but that might be overdone.. at best i'm a fervent amateur )

2 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

yea i know.. strangest part is... i came to this conclusion after comparing my 2011 xeon with a tdp of 95W and the new ryzen 5 2600 at a tdp of 60 or 65W. The ryzen 5 is noticeably hotter.

There are two possibilitys:

a) bigger die -> higher surface area of the older 32nm or 22nm CPUs

b) Cooler not "optimized" for AMD: You see that with the Konkave vs. Convex thingyy.

And thus you have some gaps on the heatsink...

2 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

And with your overpowered claim.... i perceive in the same was as buying equipment that is ment to work at 50% of its capacity ( less stress, more stability, longer lifetimes etc but that might be overdone.. at best i'm a fervent amateur )

Good quality PSU are designed for 100% load.
Bitfenix even claims that on their Box, that the Whisper M is rated for 100% Capacity 24/7...

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

There are two possibilitys:

a) bigger die -> higher surface area of the older 32nm or 22nm CPUs

b) Cooler not "optimized" for AMD: You see that with the Konkave vs. Convex thingyy.

And thus you have some gaps on the heatsink...

Good quality PSU are designed for 100% load.
Bitfenix even claims that on their Box, that the Whisper M is rated for 100% Capacity 24/7...

I gave it some more thought, especially with the new X-570 boards in mind wich come included with the extra fan, we can all agree, i hope that data transfer rates are gigantic when you compare 2011 with 2019, evers marter cooling solutions are deviced and they are needed with m.2 drives ddr 5 memory .... i can't even imagine the difference between a system running 1080p or 4k 

your statement about psu's is a bit out of line.. but then again we've had many discussions before where both sides where absolutey not in agreement which each other. I believe i would say that most good quality psu's offered for a reasonable price go for 80% load without any form of trottling in any sense

I'm just saying again that the ryzen 5 remembers me of an overclocked x5650 to 4 ghz and that i'm planning to go for a watercooled new navi, be it with custom loop or a hybrid cooling system and that i probably will look into a 200 or go straight for a 250W TDP cpu aircooler be it system or exhaust aimed

This is how amd envisions their strategy. their new boards include the latest technology and have the best pairing with the new zen 2 cpu's. I'm not sure if all the new features zen 2 brings will be enabled at full by the old motherboards. Especially if you see how they handle the heat department on the new boards, ofcourse the biggest feature is the new pcie 4.0 lanes that double the excisting datafrequency. I guess if your a high end user you would want to be certain to pair the zen 2 cpu with a x570. I'm curious to see if store owners would offer zen 2's with older type of motherboards

4 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

your statement about psu's is a bit out of line..

DSC_4247Andere.md.jpg

That's what a PSU Manufacturer prints on its box.

Also good PSU are rated at a minimum of 40°C Room Temperature, some even 50°C.

And what's your room temperature? 20°C? 25°C?? max 30°C?

That alone is the "room" you are talking about.

4 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

I believe i would say that most good quality psu's offered for a reasonable price go for 80% load without any form of trottling in any sense

PSU don't throttle, they switch off.

CPU and GPU do that.

PSU are still rather dumb with only a hand full "intelligent" units.

2 hours ago, Windows95 said:

I don't get which socket should I look for for zen 2

Socket is the same, AM4.

You meant the Chipset, right??

And here, the X570 is the best, higher end X470 might also work fine.

If I want a quiet fan, this one seems like the best isnt it?

but does this work with the newest motherboards?

Yes, but at Stock, these would be fine too:

https://geizhals.de/noctua-nh-u12s-se-am4-a1579607.html

https://geizhals.de/noctua-nh-u14s-a929404.html?hloc=de

edit:

looks like x470 is already good enough

so whats the point of the new x570?

New Features, PCIe 4.0 and some other goodies...

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, but at Stock, these would be fine too:

https://geizhals.de/noctua-nh-u12s-se-am4-a1579607.html

https://geizhals.de/noctua-nh-u14s-a929404.html?hloc=de

New Features, PCIe 4.0 and some other goodies...

so in terms of DB, how much quiter realistically would be the u15?

Im now considering 3900x and 570... for another 10 year investment, might as well go for it, maybe the extra cores are handy in the future, but right now it seems like a meme to buy anything higher than 3700x, but i dont change pc often so maybe it makes sense for those extra 200 bucks

i will run stuck speeds on all

I'd definitely just spend the extra $200 on Ryzen 9. After all, what is that over a 10 year period? A whopping $0.60 a month.

At the same time, I wouldn't even take power consumption into account. It's such a minuscule difference between components, so unless you run completely on solar and need to account for every watt, or have some sort of insanely high power rate like $1 per kw/h, it seems like an unreasonable thing to worry about.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red