What to do with an old itx computer.

jaslion

Since 2 days ago our home server/nas/whatever else it has to do computer has been replaced by a new one and now I'm left with an old itx system and not sure what it could possibly be used for (if all else fails I could probably try to sell it but it's a really odd thing so no high hopes for it).

Specs:

Amd 5350

The cheapest itx board there was for it with hdmi.

8gb ddr3 1600mhz

120gb zeis ssd from 2014

Be quiet pure power 300w psu

Antec isk 600 case.

Runs vm ware esxi so I can just dump whatever on it for os.

Entertainment system is not needed since we have an old windows tablet that already does that just fine + chromecast. Any hosting is done on the new server so that's not needed and retro gaming on the tv is handled by the windows tab or hooking up my laptop.

It's pretty weak (the cpu is below q6600 level performance) so I wouldn't know anything to do with it anymore really. If anyone can help me find a purpose for this computer I would greatly appreciate it.

Give it to me ?

In seriousness, if shipping from Belgium to US wasn't so insane, I would offer to buy it. But I can't imagine what yo could do with it really.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Since 2 days ago our home server/nas/whatever else it has to do computer has been replaced by a new one and now I'm left with an old itx system and not sure what it could possibly be used for (if all else fails I could probably try to sell it but it's a really odd thing so no high hopes for it).

Specs:

Amd 5350

The cheapest itx board there was for it with hdmi.

8gb ddr3 1600mhz

120gb zeis ssd from 2014

Be quiet pure power 300w psu

Antec isk 600 case.

Runs vm ware esxi so I can just dump whatever on it for os.

Entertainment system is not needed since we have an old windows tablet that already does that just fine + chromecast. Any hosting is done on the new server so that's not needed and retro gaming on the tv is handled by the windows tab or hooking up my laptop.

It's pretty weak (the cpu is below q6600 level performance) so I wouldn't know anything to do with it anymore really. If anyone can help me find a purpose for this computer I would greatly appreciate it.

Throw a GPU in it and run folding at home... 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Best I have laying around is a hd 6450 or a quadro fx 3800 (that screams for some reason even with a different fan) so seems pretty pointless with that potato level of compute power.

Do you know someone who might only need a computer for light internet surfing and not much else? Could be a nice thing for example for an older family member with no gaming needs.

4 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

Do you know someone who might only need a computer for light internet surfing and not much else? Could be a nice thing for example for an older family member with no gaming needs.

That's actually why I'm asking :p. I've been giving away all my stuff as of late to friends and family and am currently setting up a better computer for my uncle as he was the last one to ask for something as nobody needs anything anymore atm :p.

39 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That's actually why I'm asking :p. I've been giving away all my stuff as of late to friends and family and am currently setting up a better computer for my uncle as he was the last one to ask for something as nobody needs anything anymore atm :p.

Can you please specify what your uncle is likely to want to do with it? Knowing that should help to determine whether this computer can be adapted to his needs or not.

For general use, that machine is hardly obsolete. I do my daily business on a machine with half those specs.

I'd find a needy person and donate it or flip that sucker in the classifieds and get some of your money back. 

Yeah what I would do is buy a 9 series card for cheap, and the sell the thing for like 200 on Ebay. I am sure that someone would buy it for their kid or something like that. I have a friend who really needs a computer, he currently just has an Asus laptop with 4gb of RAM and a celeron from 3 years ago. If you are feeling generous you can give it to him?! He would really appreciate it, and we both live in US in SC.

Use it as an off-site storage computer to keep all your important files, photos, videos, etc. safely backed up. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ended up giving it to my neighbours daughter as she had a small fire in her home destroying equipement under which her computer.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:41 AM, Ben Quigley said:

You know what I love? I was scrolling through this thread, saw your name, and immediately thought "he's gonna say to run F@H".

Also, a bit unrelated (to this thread, anyway), but I get a GPU error when trying to fold on my rig running Manjaro. Any ideas why?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈